Photo

Acer Liquid Gallant Duo landing in August with rock bottom price and above average specs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

mark398

mark398

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Was going to get an Ascend G300 to replace my San Francisco, but now really tempted by the Gallant as an alternative. How does the build quality, touchscreen, and display compare between them? Thanks!

Ascend

Ascend

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Devices:S3, Cubot GT99, G300

Was going to get an Ascend G300 to replace my San Francisco, but now really tempted by the Gallant as an alternative. How does the build quality, touchscreen, and display compare between them? Thanks!

I have both and am currently trying to decide which one to keep. The Gallant comes with ICS whereas we are still waiting on an "official" ICS for the G300.

There is very little to choose between them on build quality but the bigger screen on the Gallant is cool. Also the twin SIMS on the Gallant is a big advantage but only if you can use two sims. Also 1GB ram on the Gallant gives it a bit of oomph.

Overall I think the Gallant is a better bet.

Edit
PS Gallant also has WiFi Direct.

Edited by Ascend, 03 September 2012 - 11:30 AM.

Huawei G300 ICS

Ascend

Ascend

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
G300 and Gallant side by side.

Attached File  20110101_000226.jpg   68.95KB   45 downloads

Huawei G300 ICS

ayziaa

ayziaa

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, LG G Pad
  • Twitter:@Ayziaa

I have both and am currently trying to decide which one to keep. The Gallant comes with ICS whereas we are still waiting on an "official" ICS for the G300.

There is very little to choose between them on build quality but the bigger screen on the Gallant is cool. Also the twin SIMS on the Gallant is a big advantage but only if you can use two sims. Also 1GB ram on the Gallant gives it a bit of oomph.

Overall I think the Gallant is a better bet.

Edit
PS Gallant also has WiFi Direct.

Doesn't the power button on the back of the device makes it annoying to unlock?

Edited by ayziaa, 03 September 2012 - 06:21 PM.

Android folder music player for holo lovers :https://play.google....=fr.ayziaa.App2

Ascend

Ascend

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Doesn't the power button on the back of the device makes it annoying to unlock?

Not a big problem. Takes a day or two to get used to it but most mobiles have a different location for the power button.

Fair to say that it is probably not the best location for for it, right beside the camera lens.

Huawei G300 ICS

chris_kozani

chris_kozani

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Devices:acer liquid metal
Hello.the 2 sims can be used in same time? can you accept calls,receive sms same time from both sims?

ayziaa

ayziaa

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I was looking at a french preview of the liquid gallant on the IFA. The guy said in the video that the device should get a jelly bean update in 3 weeks (video was uploaded today) . His words were " they told us it will be updated in 3 week with jelly bean" gessing "they" means acer. This information should be taken carfully because he also said the device should come out october or november and it's already out so ...

Android folder music player for holo lovers :https://play.google....=fr.ayziaa.App2

trueno2k

trueno2k

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Devices:SGS3 I9300 + OMC/ZTE Skate

Looking only at the specs it's very attractive but aren't you afraid you'll get a crappy phone? I mean the screen resolution won't make it a good screen (colors, angles...), despite the huge battery it could be very poor quality with some half done software and battery drains. And 8 mpx camera in china means often 5 mpx but rename 8, so be carefull!

Did you have first hand experience with current Chinese manufactured devices that didn't live up to your expectations?...

Seeing as it was stated somewhere that they changed suppliers for the screen cause they didn't like the ones they initially went for, tells me that they aren't skimping/sacrificing on screen quality, also if they do happen to state that is comes with 8mpix camera but package it with a 5mpix camera wouldn't that mean they are breaking some kind of law?... Or are you trying to say that it will come with a crappy lens no matter how high a mpix camera they put in it?...

main-logo.pngSamba_hi_res_normal.jpg02_96x31.png14.gifreferral-ad-120x60.pnglogo-colors1-vflhO4gIp.png
Current devices [ ROM ]: Samsung Galaxy SIII [ CM11 Nightly ], Motorola Moto G [ Stock JB ], & Google/Asus Nexus 7 2013 [ Stock KK ]
Previous devices: Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC ( Anzu ), Orange Monte Carlo ( ZTE Skate ), Orange San Francisco ( ZTE Blade ), & HTC Wildfire ( Buzz )

ayziaa

ayziaa

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Did you have first hand experience with current Chinese manufactured devices that didn't live up to your expectations?...

Seeing as it was stated somewhere that they changed suppliers for the screen cause they didn't like the ones they initially went for, tells me that they aren't skimping/sacrificing on screen quality, also if they do happen to state that is comes with 8mpix camera but package it with a 5mpix camera wouldn't that mean they are breaking some kind of law?... Or are you trying to say that it will come with a crappy lens no matter how high a mpix camera they put in it?...

No I didn't have any experience with a chinese manufacturer. I'm just saying that to warn you to know what to expect. I mean, a HD screen at this price will not be very good except maybe if this compagny does a device like the blade that was very very good for the price. About the screen that they choose to change I had a different oppinion, that they didn't made enought money on the phone at the end so they went with cheaper (lower quality) screen. About the camera, I looked at some video on youtube of a french seller, and he stated that the 8 mpx were in fact 5 mpx rename in china. I can give you the link if you speak french. At the end I'm not saying this is crap and you should not buy this, I'm just saying that at this price you will get a plastiky phone with terrible screen colors, camera and a GPS that takes about 15 min to find a signal (yeah that's another thing on mediatek chips) I think that liquid gallant suffer from this problem too. But if you ends up buying the device anyway, I'll be happy if you can prove me wrong.

Edited by ayziaa, 04 September 2012 - 08:52 PM.

trueno2k

trueno2k

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Devices:SGS3 I9300 + OMC/ZTE Skate

No I didn't have any experience with a chinese manufacturer. I'm just saying that to warn you to know what to expect. I mean, a HD screen at this price will not be very good except maybe if this compagny does a device like the blade that was very very good for the price. About the screen that they choose to change I had a different oppinion, that they didn't made enought money on the phone at the end so they went with cheaper (lower quality) screen. About the camera, I looked at some video on youtube of a french seller, and he stated that the 8 mpx were in fact 5 mpx rename in china. I can give you the link if you speak french. At the end I'm not saying this is crap and you should not buy this, I'm just saying that at this price you will get a plastiky phone with terrible screen colors, camera and a GPS that takes about 15 min to find a signal (yeah that's another thing on mediatek chips) I think that liquid gallant suffer from this problem too. But if you ends up buying the device anyway, I'll be happy if you can prove me wrong.

Okay, I will take your views/opinions into consideration... I will just have to wait until people ( devs included ) that will get one will entice me to get one as well...

main-logo.pngSamba_hi_res_normal.jpg02_96x31.png14.gifreferral-ad-120x60.pnglogo-colors1-vflhO4gIp.png
Current devices [ ROM ]: Samsung Galaxy SIII [ CM11 Nightly ], Motorola Moto G [ Stock JB ], & Google/Asus Nexus 7 2013 [ Stock KK ]
Previous devices: Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC ( Anzu ), Orange Monte Carlo ( ZTE Skate ), Orange San Francisco ( ZTE Blade ), & HTC Wildfire ( Buzz )

nosekefik

nosekefik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Acer Liquid Gallant Duo
  • Twitter:@nosekefik

I was looking at a french preview of the liquid gallant on the IFA. The guy said in the video that the device should get a jelly bean update in 3 weeks (video was uploaded today) . His words were " they told us it will be updated in 3 week with jelly bean" gessing "they" means acer. This information should be taken carfully because he also said the device should come out october or november and it's already out so ...

Can you put a link to the video please???

Thanks!

dio66

dio66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:acer e350 liquid gallant duo
I had a zte crescent acer's built quality is much better.

The screen is very good, very responsive, it takes about 5 seconds to find signal, nothing to worry about.

Acer's processor is in a different league compared to crescent's.

The speaker of acer is excellent youtube music sounds great.

baseband version: Acer_AV041_MT6575_E350_1.000.08

kernel version 3.0.13

build number Acer_AV041_E350_1.000.08_EMEA_FR

Edited by dio66, 06 September 2012 - 09:50 AM.

ayziaa

ayziaa

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Can you put a link to the video please???

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go9sgu--Ex8

Infos about jelly bean start at 40s of the video

EDIT: I have send an email to acer to try to clear that out.

Edited by ayziaa, 06 September 2012 - 07:03 PM.

dio66

dio66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Acer Liquid Gallant Duo antutu benchmark score is: 3809 all default vs 2996 for huawei g300

ayziaa

ayziaa

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Okay, I will take your views/opinions into consideration... I will just have to wait until people ( devs included ) that will get one will entice me to get one as well...

hum... maybe I was wrong. The phone is referenced everywere with an IPS display, so the screen quality is maybe better than I thought.

h@mster81

h@mster81

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G 16GB
I was going to buy this but Asda sells LG Prada for 179 atm...

dio66

dio66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Lg prada has great specifications but I believe acer's screen is better- higher resolution.

Edited by dio66, 09 September 2012 - 03:01 PM.

h@mster81

h@mster81

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G 16GB

Lg prada has great specifications but I believe acer's screen is better- higher resolution.

Higher res but Prada has NFC, 8 MP rear cam with touch zoom, 1.3 front cam, 1080 video and dual core and HDMI via MHL.

Edited by h@mster81, 09 September 2012 - 07:06 PM.

ozfunghi

ozfunghi

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Devices:Xiaomi Mi2

Sorry to crash this thread but I would love to get one of these --> http://android-sale.com/jiayu-g3.html if people here are also getting one for developing ICS & eventually JB on it?... Although it's great just as it is... It's not quite released for purchasing but when it does, I will assume it will go like the clappers, especially in China!...

http://tweakers.net/...u-g3-zwart.html

Damn, that looks like a sexy phone, cheap and more powerful than the Acer as well... maybe i ordered (and payed for) the Gallant just a couple of hours too soon :(

Not buying Acer devices anymore due to the Acer Gallant Duo.

ozfunghi

ozfunghi

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Devices:Xiaomi Mi2

Acer Liquid Gallant Duo antutu benchmark score is: 3809 all default vs 2996 for huawei g300

I get 4309 with default settings for the Acer. Not rooted, stock ROM.

But i'm thinking of returning it because a major dealbreaker for me is the bluetooth not working with the car kit music controls. I'd consider the Jiayu G3 (see above) if i were sure it worked on that phone. That phone uses the same brand chipset though... and it's not clear yet if it's a ICS problem or hardware related.

Not buying Acer devices anymore due to the Acer Gallant Duo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users