49 replies to this topic

sane?

sane?

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Devices:LG Optimus 2X, Pulse, ZTE v9
Sorry, but not mentioning the lack of microSD slot as a major con of this tablet invalidates the review. Whatever you may personally think, with the current state of connectivity its a significantly dumb and apple-like decision by google.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Sorry, but not mentioning the lack of microSD slot as a major con of this tablet invalidates the review. Whatever you may personally think, with the current state of connectivity its a significantly dumb and apple-like decision by google.

16Gb is more than enough. It's half the price of iPad, and 10x more useful and customisable. If you are complaining, then it's not for you; doesn't make it "dumb", that was their design decision.

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Nope sorry but sane? is right it is dumb and apple like. The reason its dumb is cos they touted the HD capabilities of this thing, bragged about the screen, then gave you no space to fit a decent amount of HD content on. Any user who regularly goes on a long haul flights and wants to watch 5/6hrs of high bitrate HD content has been royally shafted.

They have deliberately limited users personal content on local storage to push their own cloud agenda, reducing the quality of some potential customers user experience. Not cool.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Nope sorry but sane? is right it is dumb and apple like. The reason its dumb is cos they touted the HD capabilities of this thing, bragged about the screen, then gave you no space to fit a decent amount of HD content on. Any user who regularly goes on a long haul flights and wants to watch 5/6hrs of high bitrate HD content has been royally shafted.

They have deliberately limited users personal content on local storage to push their own cloud agenda, reducing the quality of some potential customers user experience. Not cool.

Life goes on, oh well :P

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
haha, i'll probably still get one tbf even though it does piss me off. I wish asus would have released the original Memo 370T. I'm sure theres plenty of jelly bean tabs on their way though, so suppose there will be something for everyone anyway.

Mtman1

Mtman1

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Devices:Liquid MT

haha, i'll probably still get one tbf even though it does piss me off. I wish asus would have released the original Memo 370T. I'm sure theres plenty of jelly bean tabs on their way though, so suppose there will be something for everyone anyway.

Tbh if I were you, I would wait and see if asus release a nexus 7 with a an SD card slot or a 32gb version

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
There definitely won't be a Nexus 7 with a microSD slot. It is a shame, you're right, I should have added it to the 'cons' list, i'll do that.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

sane?

sane?

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Devices:LG Optimus 2X, Pulse, ZTE v9
Many thanks Paul. Any word on an Asus only, no Google idiocy, version of the tablet? They had a working 370T design ...

timfimjim

timfimjim

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend g300, Nexus 7
Ordered mine today! No doubt it'll get rooted, CWM and MCR'd straight away... I'm like a broken record!

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
No Asus version forthcoming.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Many thanks Paul. Any word on an Asus only, no Google idiocy, version of the tablet? They had a working 370T design ...

Who do you think develops Android? Why is it "Google idiocy", when their amazing system makes it work seamlessly? I am not a fanboy by the way - just asking.

No Google, no Android; no Android, no Nexus 7... kapiche? :P

Edited by glossywhite, 19 July 2012 - 03:44 PM.

scrags72

scrags72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 7, Nexus GSM
Hi Paul, I've got a Nexus 7 running JRO03D (MoDaCo Custom ROM Jr5) and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running JRO03C (MoDaCo Custom ROM Jr2) and cannot get NFC working between the two. Is there a known issue with NFC and Modaco ROM's?
Thanks for your help.
Jared

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts

Hi Paul, I've got a Nexus 7 running JRO03D (MoDaCo Custom ROM Jr5) and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running JRO03C (MoDaCo Custom ROM Jr2) and cannot get NFC working between the two. Is there a known issue with NFC and Modaco ROM's?
Thanks for your help.
Jared

No, nothing I've changed that should cause an issue?

P

Posted Image

scrags72

scrags72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 7, Nexus GSM
Hi Paul,
I was trying to 'beam' something from an app that didn't support it! It's working great now. Cheers
Jared

MinaItse

MinaItse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:同样的鞋 (= same shoe), custom rom -sharp blade
These user experiences not so good of that device

http://www.guardian....mplaints-google

Several problems with the screen.

TehStalker

TehStalker

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

Spam? Seriously... this must of taken ages to write, all of which I read and it's a great review. This helped me make my mind up and thanks Paul!

I think he is referring to the gmail screenshot. Paul has "999+" messages in his spam folder.

diginose

diginose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Paul,

I haven't received my device yet, but I thought you might be able to weigh in on dispay stuff.
I'm sure that you are aware of the display issues, particularly the "Intensity Scale" calibration.
http://www.displaymate.com/news.html

I wonder if this can be remedied? If it's a calibration issue can it be adjusted?

Thanks!

adyhooper

adyhooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:I like to use latest mobile phones and iPhone
  • Devices:HTC HD2
Nexus 7 is an android tablet which is running on latest android OS Jelly Bean and powered by powerful 1.2 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor. It has 1 GB RAM and capable for 8 or 16 GB flash memory. It has 7 inch multi touch display, 1.2 MP front camera and best internet connectivity.

goatee

goatee

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Razr Maxx XT910
  • Twitter:@edperch
Transformers is only streamed if you don't download it ;).

<snip>
Transformers is streamed, and books aren't that exciting. A few actual clips, or some mp3's would have been good. Also a game or some kinda of interactive app, you know something to play with when you first get it, but before you settle down and start using it in anger.

cjb110

cjb110

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Devices:HTC One (M7), Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@cjb110

Transformers is only streamed if you don't download it ;).

ok, true, but its also not on the device...so you can't do anything with it without wifi.

If there were two of you, which one would win?

..::Chris Beach::..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users