[GUIDE] Upgrade from B926 to B927 via fastboot

Guest Cyda

I've put this together for those of you on B926 who are trying to update to B927 but are getting constant fails and who (like me) don't want to mess about with their IMEI. I am sure someone will upload a flashable.zip at some point but until then you can use this method.

For this update to work you MUST already have B926 and CWM already installed and USB debugging enabled!

As always you do this at your own risk.

• Make a nandroid backup via CWM > Backup.
  • Download the update files from here: http://www.multiuplo...o.uk/HZIBDT2X49
  • Power off your g300 and pull the battery, then start in fastboot mode by holding vol. down and power on. The phone will appear to hang on the splash logo.
  • Plug your phone in to your USB cable
  • Extract the download from above to a folder and then run the file fastboot-install.bat
  • After the flashing has finished pull the battery again and boot in to CWM - hold vol. up and power on.
  • Once in CWM do a factory reset/wipe, wipe cache and dalvik cache.
  • Pull battery again for a few seconds, put it back and then boot up & enable USB debugging.
  • As you changed your system.img you will need to re-root but you shouldn't need to unlock the bootloader (and as you know CWM is already installed) - download the root/unlocker from here: http://www.modaco.co...tach_id=81949�. and connect your USB cable.
  • Run the unlocker and select the root option, wait until root has finished and app closes.
  • Check Superuser is in the apps drawer and if so you are rooted and all done.

I have done this twice without issue and restored back to my B926 backup afterwards so you can always test this update and if you don't like it go back to B926.

FYI: this update does not install the vendor files but it does give you a nice clean build of ICS with the normal google files already installed.

post-923750-0-86351300-1342457337_thumb.

Edited by Hpez

Guest chico2069

Quick questions:

- Does this procedure makes u loose ur personal data (images, videos, contacts)? (making this question cause the procedure doesnt seem to be complete ROM brush but then, i could be wrong :) and i've just did the ICS 926 upgrade yesterday, wouldn't like to have to important images and contacts all over again :))

- The chinese ics (926), after i installed, was enabled with my 3G (HSDPA) connection to Vodafone Portugal. In other words, my 3G connection was working ok without needing to install the APN Portugal App. Any1 knows if this new build will work the same way?

Cheers.

Edited by chico2069

Quick questions:

- Does this procedure makes u loose ur personal data (images, videos, contacts)?

- The chinese ics (926), after i installed, was enabled with my 3G (HSDPA) connection to Vodafone Portugal. In other words, my 3G connection was working ok without needing to install the APN Portugal App. Any1 knows if this new build will work the same way?

Cheers.

The procedure requires a factory reset/wipe so you will loose all on internal memory e.g. apps & games but your sdcard will not be touched.

As for the 3g question I can't comment on that sorry.

Guest Rico_89

Nice one Hpez wish this was here about an hour ago lol..

The Vendor file does add a really nice boot animation but if it's between this and messing with your IMEI, like I did, then I'd choose this method. :)

Guest rsrocha

I still havent figured out why people use APN Portugal... The ROM has everything you need. It sets the correct apn to the network you use.

Guest chico2069

Thats awesome, Rsrocha.... Some ppl had reported problems with 3G and MMS not working and had to resort to APN Portugal.

Im glad i didnt need to and i hope that, when i update to the 927, i still wont need :)

Guest chico2069

@Hpez:

Sorry for beeing a pain in the neck but another quick question:

- After i've used ur procedure to upgrade to 927, i'll have to re-root my phone again and install CWM again, correct?

Is the unlockbootloader procedure also necessary?

Thanks.

@Hpez:

Sorry for beeing a pain in the neck but another quick question:

- After i've used ur procedure to upgrade to 927, i'll have to re-root my phone again and install CWM again, correct?

Is the unlockbootloader procedure also necessary?

Thanks.

You will need to re-root (I have added info on this above now) but you shouldn't need to unlock bootloader or re-install CWM.

Guest Lgdslr

Is there any particular reason to upgrade to this? I'm reading the other, rather long thread and can't see much point if you've installed Gapps on B926.

Guest dbbloke

Worked fine for me... funny bubble sounds, imei still there as before. Thanks.

The only thing I'd like to add is that after the step:

pull battery, you need to include put battery back in.

Otherwise, some people might try and go into fastboot with usb cable only, didn't have any luck when I did this first (and no instruction to put battery in), so many phones i've modded it's hard to remember which one you need do what.

Guest rosco-85

Is it possible to install the vendor file after having done this method? I want to add it, but the normal method of flashing isn't working for me. Freezes up with both the middle update and the main update.

Guest Gary_J_Wright

Is it possible to install the vendor file after having done this method? I want to add it, but the normal method of flashing isn't working for me. Freezes up with both the middle update and the main update.

corrupted download or sdcard maybe?

Guest rosco-85

I'm sure my SD and download are both fine. I've downloaded the middle file twice to make sure, it freezes two thirds of the way across the progress bar. It should just take a couple of seconds to do this bit, right? I put the middle bit in dload on root of SD and tried both with the storage > software update method and the boot with vol buttons held method. Both have the same outcome.

A couple of people say your old hack method works... but this is quite risky, isn't it?

Guest anything-but

For whatever reason,i couldn`t update with either the main file or the middle one (coming from 926). This one worked a treat tho! :)

Edited by anything-but

Guest luismiyu

Everything is working with your method, thanks :)

I hate that Chinese logo still on boot...

Don't flash vendor/update.app after doing this, the phone won't boot.

Edited by luismiyu

it wont let me boot into fastboot? hold volume down and it just boot normaly

Pull battery, leave out a few seconds and replace, hold vol. down and keep it held, press power and keep vol. down help. The phone should hang on splash screen and you are in fastboot.

Guest chico2069

Thanks Hpez for the wonderful post and for others who helped / supported.

Worked like a charm for. Installed 927 with success, rooted and with CWM working and bootloader unlocked :)

Cheers.

Edited by chico2069

Guest andy.hyde4

i obviously wasnt holding down for long enough thanks! installing now.

Just to let people know you do not need to flash boot.img it will still boot and run perfectly fine.

Edited by andy.hyde4