Alcatel OT-986

Guest Witcher_Kh

Guest Witcher_Kh

Hello everyone.

I didn't find topic for my new phone.

Yesterday I recieved Alcatel OT-986 (TCL S900) from China, so I'd like to post a short review (I'll do my best with my awful English) and get some help to root it and customise Android (delete chinese apps).

If anyone could help, I'd be very greatful.

Guest bagge

I had my eyes on this one once I heard about it back in May. Seems like a very impressive device for its price tag. How did you import it and how much did it end up costing you?

Thanks

Guest Witcher_Kh

Yes, it is impressive. Up to now everything seems just perfect. A friend sent it to me from China. So it costed 2000 yen + shipment (about 30$).

I'll post a short review a bit later. As for now I tested camera today, seem ok.

[media=]

Edited by Witcher_Kh

Guest bagge

Nice, looking forward to it!

From what I gather this doesnt have a large community behind it, understandable over here since its hard to get ahold of, but why not in Asia?

Edited by bagge

Guest Witcher_Kh

Alcatel OT-986 (TCL S900) review

img3228w.th.jpg

First of all I'd like to apologize for my English. I really did my best.

Equipment:

Telephone with a film on the screen.

Battery.

USB-cable Sync / Charge

Headset.

Cube 1000Mah for Chinese Type A socket

Instruction, the warranty on the Chinese.

img3229b.th.jpgimg3231c.th.jpg

Lyrics.

My friend in China ordered the phone in the early days of appearing on ADVERTISING SPAM.com, received it, and then sent to me. My model is TCL S900, not Alcatel OT-986 (there was none on ADVERTISING SPAM at the beginning). My previous device was ZTE Blade, with whom Alcatel will be compared. I do not pretend on objectivity in this review (did not write anything like that), I’ll just try to tell you about one week of using this phone, the problems and the methods of their solution.

In general, characteristics of the phone can not be called top-end. It looks like Samsung Galaxy Nexus (processor, RAM, graphics chip). Let's go through all the characteristics of the phone.

img3234e.th.jpg

Design and construction.

The phone looks absolutely standard. The only difference is the back cover, which is not very big.

Control elements - on the left side - volume control, on the top - 3.5mm headset jack and on / off button, on the right - microUSB. The main camera is located above the battery cover, front camera - left of the small speaker. No buttons, analog or software.

The case is made, it seemed to me, of a successful material. The peculiarity of the battery cover is that it does not cover the entire back of the phone. Perhaps it in some way spoils the look of the device, but I find it a practical solution, since solid angles of the device, I think, are more likely to sustain damage.

img3244k.th.jpgimg3256mo.th.jpgimg3329e.th.jpgimg3325r.th.jpg

img3270t.th.jpgimg3268yw.th.jpgimg3265qp.th.jpgimg3262n.th.jpg

img3302id.th.jpgimg3303u.th.jpgimg3238r.th.jpgimg3241w.th.jpg

Display.

1280 * 720 IPS

You can say a lot of good things about the screen, but there is no need to. Bright picture for movies and games, beautiful fonts in the browser and the reader. Viewing angles are objectively better than the previous phone, which is well seen in the pictures. Look at the photos, in one word.

img3305f.th.jpgimg3275cr.th.jpg

img3313r.th.jpgimg3311sd.th.jpgimg3310uq.th.jpgimg3309u.th.jpg

Management, the operating system.

First of all it is worth mentioning that the phone comes with the Chinese build Android 4.0.3. It differs from the basic with Chinese market and some programs, whose purpose remains a mystery to me. However, the menu language is English, the keyboard is no problem adding Russian and English input methods.

Also note that by default there are no google apps and root. Google apps can be added, by downloading and copying the necessary files to the system partition and then rebooting the phone. Android took this as an upgrade. The second issue was solved quickly, setting a PC program unlockroot. With root almost all Chinese applications were deleted.

Touch of the 4.5 "screen, without exaggeration, is excellent. Telephone instantly reacts to clicks, scrolling is very smooth and opening programs is very fast. Just want to mention a whole new level of comfort in the web-surfing, the browser (for testing I used Chrome and Dolphin) runs noticeably faster, page scroll smoothly and without interruption.

The point is the lack of physical buttons. Some consider it a disadvantage, because virtual keys are eating space on the screen, but I would not call it critical, because, when using full screen (video viewing, for example), they disappear.

screenshot2012071923212.th.pngscreenshot2012071923201.th.pngscreenshot2012071923204.th.pngscreenshot2012071923213.th.pngscreenshot2012071923203.th.pngscreenshot2012071923214.th.pngscreenshot2012071923220.th.png

Memory.

Phone comes with 1 Gb of RAM, which should be enough for all the biggest games and applications, and 4 Gb of flash memory (about 2.5 Gb are available). Slot microSD, as claimed by manufacturer, supports memory cards up to 32 Gb, although it is believed that 64 Gb is also possible to use, that will be checked after a while (card is in order).

The quality of connection, Wi-Fi, GPS.

The GSM module does not cause any complaints. 2G signal is sufficiently strong and confident. The speaker volume is more than enoughl. 3G unfortunately could not be tested.

The specifications claim to support Wi-Fi version N. The GPS module was tested using Navitel.

Camera.

Main - 5 MPX, front - 2 MPX. The camera phone has not made the revolution. Shoots are quite on the level of its competitors. Video Resolution 1080p, 30 frames per second. Check yourself quality of the video and look at the pictures.

img20120722171949709.th.jpgimg20120722172030519.th.jpgimg2012072217205616.th.jpgimg20120722172049579.th.jpg

The quality of sound.

Comparing the sound quality was carried out using the following equipment: telephones Zte Blade, ZTE Skate, stock headphones, Sennheiser IE4, Sennheiser IE8. Without pretending to be objective and not being able to speak as it is able to profile audiophile sites, I only give my opinion.

The sound of the phone is fine. Subjectively, the sound is better than on the devices from ZTE. In everyday use on the street, transport, telephone sounds well. In general, stock headset is fine. In addition, these programs would be quite usefull: Power Amp and DSP Manager. Slightly twisting the EQ, you can actually improve the sound. The external speaker is also working flawlessly, no wheezing, the volume of the phone is more than sufficient.

The bottom line: good enough sound to suit the majority of those people who listens to music on the street, in vehicles, using headphones priced up to $ 50.

img3237h.th.jpg

Performance and Gaming.

Phone Processor - TI OMAP 4460 (working at 1.5 GHz) is no longer a top-end, so the device in the tests showed quite the level of Nexus.

The phone works quickly and without delay, start any application almost instantly.

It is difficult to say something about games, I tested Dead Trigger at High settings and Aralon HD at maximum settings. Played with no problems, everything is very smooth and beautiful.

Just tested FPse - emulator of SPS. Gran Turismo and Ace Combat 2 looked excellent, the screen is enough for a comfortable game.

I tested video using the MX Player 720p file is about 3.8 Gb with two tracks. In general, I want to note that the performance receives absolutely no complaints. Especially considering the price of the phone.

screenshot2012072221400.th.pngscreenshot2012072221385.th.png

screenshot2012072221381.th.pngscreenshot2012072221365.th.png

Conclusions.

In conclusion, I would like to say that the phone is excellent. I have not regretted a moment of buying from the first start. But of course I would like to custom firmware, although it is not critical.

Thank you.

If you have any questions, please ask.

The review is written by tiN-naR and Witcher_Kh.

Guest tiN-naR

The price is 1800-2000 Yuan in china or 280-310 USD. I don't think, that you can find it in UK, but I'm absolutely sure, that you can get one with the help of some intermediate parties. They usually take 10%, I don't think that it's too much.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Witcher_Kh

thats pretty cool, cant beat these damn asians when it comes to modding, they're awesome... hopefully the device just hits europe shortly so it doesnt get outdated before, like the miui one...

I'm dreaming about MIUI. ) I tried to read that forum, but google translate couldn't help at all. If anyone can help with the translation of some topics, I can test ClockWork and some custom Android.

But I'd like to say again that stock firmware is just fine. I rooted it and installed Russian and Ukrainian languages for all the menus and keyboard.

I noticed it because there are some certain problems with another wonderful phone - Pantech Vega Racer 2. It's stock firmware is a problem. All its users report several problems from SMS and MMS to slow work. Its users are waiting for custom.

Guest LUVLiquid

There's loads of 1999 rmb dual core phones coming out within these 2-3 month in China (most of them ain't international well known brand)

Just announce yesterday, there's a 1999 RMB using quad core Terga 3, 1g ram, 16g rom, 4.5" IPS 720p screen from K-touch runing android 4.0 and they're accpecting pre-orders via their site now and expect to start shipping 16th Aug.

There's also a lot of 999 rmb - 1499 rmb MTK 6577 dual core phone with dual sim(wcdmq/gsm) support, 512m/1g ram 4/8/16 g ROM, qHD IPS mon anounced and expect to hit the market within August.

Guest LUVLiquid

I'm dreaming about MIUI. ) I tried to read that forum, but google translate couldn't help at all. If anyone can help with the translation of some topics, I can test ClockWork and some custom Android.

But I'd like to say again that stock firmware is just fine. I rooted it and installed Russian and Ukrainian languages for all the menus and keyboard.

I noticed it because there are some certain problems with another wonderful phone - Pantech Vega Racer 2. It's stock firmware is a problem. All its users report several problems from SMS and MMS to slow work. Its users are waiting for custom.

Which Vega racer 2 the a830s or a830l got these sms/mms problem? Can't send any sms beside korean english and chinese?

The S version is selling petty well here in hong kong (but not as good as the LG optimus lte 2 with a massive 2gb ram) with a build in 1800 mhz 4g lte support which a few telco's 4G network are on here and no problem on chinese/english sms (although 80% of the mobile user with data plan use whatsapp instead of SMS nowadays)

Guest magikstar29
found this chinese forum http://bbs.mumayi.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=267&page=1

there are many things for alcatel ot-986 / tscl s900 / alcatel ak47 (root, clockwork recovery, custom rom....)

i have downloaded some files but i don't really know wht to do with it' date=' google translate is very bad[/quote']

files http://www.mediafire.com/?jysm9qjak85dg50 CWM Recovery from http://bbs.mumayi.com/thread-879511-1-1.html

Guest magikstar29

root for super user privileges

The first method:

download TPSparkyRoot.rar http://www.mediafire.com/?geb0aa2vd7j1c57

Unpack the files

1110.jpg

Connect your mobile phone to your PC, install the driver, open the USB debugging (open: Set → development options → USB debugging for back √) Ensure that the computer can be identified to the phone.

just run TPSparkyRoot.bat extracted files

0210.jpg

wait for complete and press any key to continue, (according to computer keyboard keys, cell phone keypad), the phone reboot to the desktop, the second reboot may skip the desktop is not displayed, do not worry.

Phone fully boot into the desktop, go in your program to see, if you have then congratulations, you're root!

If you are unfortunate enough to root fails, try the second method

second method:

download unlockroot , it's a root tool

install on your computer, Connect the phone, ready, point the root, wait for reboot and you're done

Guest magikstar29

for update your phone there's 2 method

first method is to use the phone, go into the settings -> about phone -> system updates, click to check for updates

Wait for the updated version appears, click Download, wait the download is complete, click Update. Restart the phone to complete

second method is to use the sotware upgrade tool

for alcatel AK47 / alcatel ot-986 http://www.mediafire.com/?2j92gdt9pxmek8t

for TCL S900 http://www.mediafire.com/?qn83xhhzej90v2s

Guest magikstar29

recovery easy instal

download OMAPFlash recovery.zip http://www.mediafire...5jc51b6kutk14ct

unzip it

run cmd and go to the directory of the extracted files

turn off the phone, get out the battery and replace it

turn on the phone press and stay pressed the power button + "volume key +" + "volume key -" for about 3 seconds to enter into fastboot upgrade mode

connect your phone to pc, you can see fastboot may install the driver, wait for the driver is installed.

in the command line write OMAPFlash.exe fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

at the command line, enter OMAPFlash.exe fastboot flash environment env.txt

restart the phone whit the command line OMAPFlash.exe fastboot reboot

tada recovery replacement is complete

Edited by magikstar29

Guest magikstar29

taken from http://bbs.mumayi.co...936440-1-1.html

rom package http://www.mediafire.com/?n11o2l571vqowqs

You must have a cwm-base recovery

-> wipe all

-> select the install zip form sdcard

-> Select the toggle signature verification to see the prompt signature check: disable

-> Select Choose zip form sdcard

-> Choose your zip

-> Select the yes option

-> wait for install completed

-> select reboot system

Guest zec accs

i have orderer Alcatel AK47 aka Alcatel OT 986 aka TCL S900 on http://android-sale.com

I registered on the forum (http://bbs.mumayi.com/forum-267-1.html) but I can not download anything

I can help to translate or download if you like.

Guest Witcher_Kh

First of all, thanks a lot, Magikstar, for instructions and ROM. On Alcatel everything worked fine - CWM and 4.0.4 ROM. But there is one problem - in new ROM when you try to enter display settings there is an error and it drops me on the desktop, so I can't change my display settings. It would be great if u could post some more ROMs for Alcatel and TCL (I have both), and I'll try them all and find the most stable one. Thanks in advance.

Guest magikstar29

another android 4.0.4 rom

AK47_4.0.4_CNR_V1.1_MUMAYI

taken from http://bbs.mumayi.co...964923-1-1.html

Embarrassed, so we waited so long, day out, come back to see the upload failed back pass, slow!

Description v1.1 version:

1 Re-sign system / app, so must wipe all

2 Add the status bar and notification bar transparent (thank beiwei108 to beautify resources and help)

3 Add a digital power

4 Delete google Gallery

5 kernel add init.d support

6 tweaks optimization (sdcard speed, wifi signal, etc.)

New version is in preparation, so stay tuned!