Official UK B892 - Gingerbread

Guest Tanner23

Guest alpine101

Ok so Paul's method flashes a new recovery (then refllashes stock recovery once it has done its work I believe) so even though you haven't installed CWM that must work if you managed to root. Thanks.

Just to confirm, I was running the original B885 or 6, can't remember, the one that came with the phone. Rooted using Paul's method. Downloaded the update.zip, put it on the SD card, booted into recovery with volume up, ran the update from the SD card, all OK now on B892, still rooted.

Seems as before though it's put back the original 4 way screen unlocker which I had disabled. It still will boot into recovery if required.

I suppose the screen unlocker could be one of the updates since that was supposed to be buggy.

Edited by alpine101

Guest Hogweed

Just to confirm, I was running the original B885 or 6, can't remember, the one that came with the phone. Rooted using Paul's method. Downloaded the update.zip, put it on the SD card, booted into recovery with volume up, ran the update from the SD card, all OK now on B892, still rooted.

Seems as before though it's put back the original 4 way screen unlocker which I had disabled. It still will boot into recovery if required.

I suppose the screen unlocker could be one of the updates since that was supposed to be buggy.

Hmm, When I try to update from CWM it fails on 'file_getprop: failed to stat /system/build.prop": No such file or directory'

Did you use CMW recovery or stock and did you have to mount devices in cwm before applying the update? Edit: Restored stock recovery and then the update worked. Has definitely fixed the screen alignment issue.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest doley

i'm having problems updating this file running the original B885

i get an error on reboot.i am rooted but haven't installed any custom roms

any ideas?

Guest Hogweed

What is the error message?

I just installed over stock B885 but I had to remove CWM Recovery first - by repeating the method used to root in the first place (ie adb flash the superrecovery image). Then boot into recovery and update from stock recovery. Reinstall CWM after the upgrade. That's what worked for me.

Might also work to power on with both vol+ and vol- pressed to force an update from SD but didn't try that.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest doley

signature verification failed installation aborted

is the error i get even when booting in recovery mode

would it work if i was to uninstall super user in the super user options?

Guest Hogweed

With stock recovery, not CWM? If it is stock recovery it then does some sanity checks to make sure it is really a stock Vodafone B885 setup (or close enough to it) before continuing

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Hogweed

with cwm is it cwm that is making it fail?and if so how do i uninstall it and will i be able to reinstall it once ive updated?

Use the method (Paul's root method at ) to root the phone again (flash the super-recovery image). This will reinstall stock recovery. Then apply update from stock recovery. and reboot. If all ok then reinstall CWM. That all worked for me.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Maximus9

I am on B888 (stock) and update not offered. My girlfriend is on B885 and update available.

Thank you for this, will update hers!

And then will try to uninstall vodafone crap. Hope rooting will work.

Guest Hogweed

It is only a patch update to B892 - not a full B892 ROM - and so it specifically requires Voda B885 as the base. Rooting is no problem. In fact if the phone is already rooted it will still be at the end of the update.

i was on the B888 based Gr2 and had to restore my old stock B885 backup and then remove CWM before I got the auto update to work. Then I backed up the new B892 (will look more closely later) and restored my working Gr2 with the firmware updates remaining in place (screen fix etc).

Edited by Hogweed

Guest doley

how did you remove cwm to get the update to work i don't really want to install another rom as i'm runnign stock b885 which means i'll lose all my data

Guest mangoben

My G300 has been rooted (SuperSU), which allowed me to remove all the Vodafone bloatware, but I've not done anything else with it. I am still on the stock (B885) vodafone ROM, and yet the update fails for me everytime, saying 'failed at stage 7'.

I don't have an SD card so couldn't try the method someone posted earlier about downloading the update onto the SD card and running it off that via recovery mode.

Anyone have any other ideas? Could I unroot it (if so how?), and then apply update, and reroot it?

Edited by mangoben

Guest Hogweed

You do not need to unroot B885 but you must remove cwm recovery. Do this by repeating the method used to root the photo in the first place. That is flash Paul's super recovery. Do not flash the cwm image again until after the update has completed.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Hogweed

Did it change the recovery back to the stock recovery. If so what was the error from stock recovery when you tried to apply the update? I did this yesterday and it worked fine for me.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest mangoben

Aye the SuperRecovery option re-following Paul's doesn't seem to work for me either. Gives same message as above.

If I got a micro SDcard and downloaded the update onto that, and did the update via recovery from the SD card (via pressing up on the volume) will that work? May just do it that method instead if so...I'll likely need a micro SDcard at some point might as well make it now.