OpenGL - What exactly should we ask for?

Guest tcpaulh

Guest tcpaulh

Davidoff59 has suggested that now is the time to ask Huawei to fix OpenGL but what exactly do we need to ask for technically?

I'm assuming it's less than ideal to just ask them to "fix" it?

Vodafone Tech Team

Huawei UK Facebook

Huawei Twitter

Vodafone Twitter

Edit:

How about :-

Please include support for hardware UI acceleration on the G300/U8815

Edited by tcpaulh

Guest gsf600y

From another poster in another thread:

Asking people to bug Huawei with an erroneous question is counterproductive. There have already been well-meaning people without the foggiest asking them whether OpenGL is included and there more this happens, the more they are likely to ignore it.

OpenGL is included already, as it in every Android ROM, and Huawei can quite confidently state that it will be in future builds. The real problem has been outlined on a number of occasions, but for those who actually read, here it is again:

Their ROMs should include support for hardware accelerated 2D rendering via OpenGL, but Huawei have either omitted it or screwed up their implementation.

So please, if we're going to hassle Huawei to sort their ROMs out, lets at least ask the right questions.

Guest Dazzozo

libhwui.so needs to actually do its job and work instead of sitting there as a "look at me I'm hardware UI acceleration" and doing a grand total of nothing.

I'm not sure where the problem actually is. libhwui.so is responsible for hardware UI acceleration, hence hwui. It is present, but there is still no acceleration.

I think we should give up referring to it as "OpenGL" because it's confusing Huawei. Call it "hardware UI acceleration".

Guest Colin Whiteside

It's entirely possible libhwui.so is a stub. The presence of a file does not automatically mean it actually does anything.

Guest Dazzozo

I doubt they would deliberately remove all the hwui code and put a stub in its place.

It also has a respectable and average size. I just think something's broken.

Guest Dazzozo

I think vodafone's the best to shout at for this, as they're testing B927 for UK release (according to their blog).

If you point this out to them they might pass it back to Huawei.

Guest unaszplodrmann

I doubt they would deliberately remove all the hwui code and put a stub in its place.

It also has a respectable and average size. I just think something's broken.

It might still effectively be a dummy without actually being a stub, no? Bearing in mind that the stock camera app doesn't work due to lack of hw acceleration, might Huawei have included a customised camera app simply to address this issue? The whole thing seems a bit suspect to me.

Well I've asked them anyway. What do we think, more the merrier? Cant do any harm I guess. Get tweeting/facebooking people. :)

Us lot spamming their social networking presences might not be particular effective, other than keeping their PR people busy. Creating a petition in English/Chinese and getting the word out on other forums and tech media sites would prolly be more effective. I've offered before and I'll offer again. If others are interested in getting the ball rollling, I'll set something up.

Guest tcpaulh
@VodafoneUK Please fix support for hardware UI acceleration on the Ascend G300. It doesn't work at all. libhwui.so just does nothing :(

@tcpaulh I am sorry to hear that. Have you posted to our Tech Team here http://goo.gl/V52f4? ^HS

@VodafoneUK I haven't but I will, thanks. Would you be kind enough to pass on concerns from your side as well?

@tcpaulh Certainly :) ^HS

Guest Dazzozo

maybe a développer can make it work i mean on thé zte blade there were no probleme to make it work

What? Someone will get it working for custom ROMs. The two are completely unrelated.

We're seeking working official ROMs here.

Guest Dazzozo

It might still effectively be a dummy without actually being a stub, no? Bearing in mind that the stock camera app doesn't work due to lack of hw acceleration, might Huawei have included a customised camera app simply to address this issue? The whole thing seems a bit suspect to me.

That's just Huawei in general. Don't forget Gingerbread, they changed a fair few apps there too, and the Camera was one of them. They may have realised it was broken and that added weight to making their own.

It's not a dummy, I've partially disassembled it.

Us lot spamming their social networking presences might not be particular effective, other than keeping their PR people busy. Creating a petition in English/Chinese and getting the word out on other forums and tech media sites would prolly be more effective. I've offered before and I'll offer again. If others are interested in getting the ball rollling, I'll set something up.

We probably can't get enough exposure and votes for that.

Guest Davidoff59

This is what pisses me off.

@HuaweiDevice can you confirm that

ICS for the U8815 will have full openGL

support? The leaked B927 has some

parts implemented but not full.

HuaweiDevice

@ HuaweiDevice

@AnDy__HyDe Hi Andy, yes, ICS for the U8815

will have openGL support.

Always carefully worded so as their quotes can't be misconstrued. Every single answer dodging a full answer and any that are very specific about hardware accelerated UI are ignored.

Guest Hans Gruber

It might just be the case that Huawei in China doesn't keep the the European office as well informed as they'd like and that's the only answer they can give. (assuming that Twitter account is Europe based)

Edited by Hans Gruber

Guest unaszplodrmann

This is what pisses me off.

@HuaweiDevice can you confirm that

ICS for the U8815 will have full openGL

support? The leaked B927 has some

parts implemented but not full.

HuaweiDevice

@ HuaweiDevice

@AnDy__HyDe Hi Andy, yes, ICS for the U8815

will have openGL support.

Always carefully worded so as their quotes can't be misconstrued. Every single answer dodging a full answer and any that are very specific about hardware accelerated UI are ignored.

Those kind of responses are par for the course though, Huawei aren't being particularly evasive, all PR people do that ;) Being as noncommital as possible is just part of the job. The question must be posed in such a way that there is no room for equivocation... Think Paxman vs Michael Howard...

That's just Huawei in general. Don't forget Gingerbread, they changed a fair few apps there too, and the Camera was one of them. They may have realised it was broken and that added weight to making their own.

It's not a dummy, I've partially disassembled it.

I was just wondering whether they might've tried to get it working, but ran into issues and decided upon a small kludge instead... Point taken about the Gingerbread modifications.

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Guest Davidoff59

unaszplodrmann, I have asked so that there is no room for a wrong answer and its been ignored multiple times so I am not that hopeful. Let's see how it works out now that more people are pushing for an answer.

Guest dragpyre

If we all get over to this thread and post: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-Manufacturers-and-OS/Please-fix-hardware-UI-acceleration-on-Huawei-Ascend-G300/td-p/1211066

It will make things easier as we are bringing it to Vodafone's attention, and they might turn around to Huawei (considering Vodafone are feeding back to Huawei and they are doing the final testing stages) and say "our users want this feature, lets give them it."

Our best bet is going directly to the network.

Guest dragpyre

I agree that raising this with Vodafone, and them leaning on Huawei, is a good idea.

Registered and posted :)

Moar people, moar. One post every 24 hours if we have to. We must be relentless in our endeavour!

Guest tilal6991

post-887706-0-17668000-1343291183_thumb.

I just got a reply... Is this what we're looking for or did I word it wrong?

You worded it right and TBH I'm not sure I believe them. Let's wait and see.

Guest fr0do

Well they used the right words! I'm just hoping that they understand what they said and that it has some actual substance behind it lol :D

Guest rsrocha

Have you guys tried turning on force gpu 2d in devel options? From what i searched opengl is implemented and running. Only the apps call opengl use and if its not from the same api then opengl will not run.

We will not have many improvements if the app devel doesnt activate 3d accel.