Australia 3G/Baseband issues

Guest ommandant

Guest ommandant

I bought a g300 from Voda AU and upgraded it to the UK B297 rom from huawei expecting it to work. Unfortunately it wouldn't connect to any cellular networks at all.

I've since downgraded to the stock UK roms from Huawei using the downgrade tool. I've been able to get talk and text by forcing it to use 2G networks only (Mostly GPRS, sometimes EDGE) as it can't connect to 3G networks.

And yes, I did take a nandroid backup. But after I restore it it boots into CWM with 'E: Invalid command argument', so I re-flashed the ROM

So is there anyway to fix my 3G?

or is a Vodfone AU rom available?

and when the ICS OTA update comes out will it be likely to fix my issues?

Will I get the AU or UK update when it does?

I suppose if it all doesn't work out I can just take it back to Vodafone, maybe blame it on ICS

Guest rsrocha

Go to the service menu and select the radio band option. I dont know the code from head but its one the has the *#*#××××××#*#* format. What system is used in australia? Evdo?

Guest dragpyre

I bought a g300 from Voda AU and upgraded it to the UK B297 rom from huawei expecting it to work. Unfortunately it wouldn't connect to any cellular networks at all.

I've since downgraded to the stock UK roms from Huawei using the downgrade tool. I've been able to get talk and text by forcing it to use 2G networks only (Mostly GPRS, sometimes EDGE) as it can't connect to 3G networks.

And yes, I did take a nandroid backup. But after I restore it it boots into CWM with 'E: Invalid command argument', so I re-flashed the ROM

So is there anyway to fix my 3G?

or is a Vodfone AU rom available?

and when the ICS OTA update comes out will it be likely to fix my issues?

Will I get the AU or UK update when it does?

I suppose if it all doesn't work out I can just take it back to Vodafone, maybe blame it on ICS

Use the Huawei Middle Package, put it into a folder on your sd card called dload, flash it by holding both volume buttons and power when the phone is off, your phone will reboot, then transfer the update.app of the firmware you want into that dload folder and repeat. Should fix it for you and give yourself a proper clean flash which will sort out the basebands. CWM doesn't change basebands.

EDIT: Just read you flashed a stock UK ROM. You need to flash a stock AU ROM for it to work in Australia because of the basebands.

Edited by dragpyre

Guest ash1425

EDIT: Just read you flashed a stock UK ROM. You need to flash a stock AU ROM for it to work in Australia because of the basebands.

What will be the case with Indian Baseband? UK Baseband should work i think as I have flashed UK ROMs on my Motorola L7 ages ago, which used to work pretty fine.

Guest dragpyre

What will be the case with Indian Baseband? UK Baseband should work i think as I have flashed UK ROMs on my Motorola L7 ages ago, which used to work pretty fine.

Wouldn't know, you'd have to test, however, the U8815 is a Quadband phone, so it should work in India.

Guest Hogweed

All you probably need is the APN info for your carrier. Probably not included in a UK ROM. Likely nothing to do with baseband issues. The fact you say you had to force it to use only 2G implies the phone was seeing the 3G networks ok or you would not have to tell it to ignore them :-) In any case you can scan for available networks and double check.

If it is Vodafone Australia then see details here http://blog.vodafone...gs-for-android/ for SPA for APN details

Edited by Hogweed

Guest kyan31
All you probably need is the APN info for your carrier. Probably not included in a UK ROM. Likely nothing to do with baseband issues. The fact you say you had to force it to use only 2G implies the phone was seeing the 3G networks ok or you would not have to tell it to ignore them :-) In any case you can scan for available networks and double check.

If it is Vodafone Australia then see details here http://blog.vodafone...gs-for-android/ for SPA for APN details

Hogweed is probably right. Follow his method as it requires no hacking at all.

Guest rockofclay

So does this mean the phone can be used on the optus 900mhz UMTS network once it's unlocked? If so that makes this phone a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TexTexan

I'm having the exact same issues as the OP :(

Bought this phone outright for Mrs Tex the other day after reading lots of positive reviews. She's coming from a HTC Legend which has pretty much done its dash. Not long after purchasing I rooted/installed CWM/installed ICS roms and immediately noticed no or intermittant 3G reception, with the signal often dropping out entirely. I must admit I can't remember if this issue was present with the original Gingerbread rom out of the box (I have a feeling it wasn't as I don't recall her complaining about reception issues for the first day or so). At the moment I've had to lock the phone to 2G only for it to be usable.

I would hope this isn't a hardware/Vodafone Australia issue so perhaps has something to do with rooting and changing roms?? I've rooted and changed roms constantly with my old Desire HD and current One X and never had it cause anything like this. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there a copy of the Voda Australia rom floating around anywhere?

Thanks.

Guest hajonez

Hi there TexTexan.

Have a look at this thread, which I started a couple of days ago:

I did almost exactly what you did to the extent that I can't recall whether I had any reception issues on the stock "out-of-the-box" ROM. I was actually setting it up as a present for my mother so am rather frustrated that it's no longer in a state to present to her.

I've tried everything I can think of, including tinkering with the APN settings, returning the phone back to the stock Gingerbread ROM etc etc. Like you, I have an Android phone (Nexus S) as my own handset and have played extensively with it so don't consider myself too incompetent when it comes to these sorts of things. This, however, has me stumped and I don't have a solution at the moment.

If anyone has gone through this experience and has managed to fix their 3G issues, I know I'd be incredibly grateful to hear from you. Hopefully there's someone who can help. I would really rather like to avoid dealing with Vodafone's return department, particularly as I unlocked the handset unofficially with an eBay code!

- Henry

• 1 month later...
Guest smartbyte

Hi guys,

I am interested too! I used the middle package, then put ICS on my phone (Huawei Download) and from that point on, I wasn't able to use 3G anymore. I tried everything IMEI, reinstall, JB (CM10), even restoring back to GB (without changing basebands, because I haven't got an AU UPDATE.APP - was pretty worthless!), but I couldn't restore 3G anymore.

But I don't get it, why this doesn't work! I tried installing the NZ image, but I wasn't succesfull (Using the UPDATE.APP, the ZIP doesn't change BASEBANDS, so no proper install) Has anyone ever had success installing the UPDATE.APP for the NZ ICS image?

Thanks, Jörn.

Guest smartbyte

Hi guys,

O.K. I don't know if it helps you, but I will note that down here, maybe someone else has an idea:

First things first:

I FIXED IT!

First the scenario on my phone.

CM backups:

1) GB backup

2) ICS backup (Orig Huawei update)

3) CM 10 (JB)

4) Vodafone NZ ICS update

1 and 2 were not bootable anymore

3 and 4 were bootable

(And I had an IMEI backup from GB times)

I used the IMEI method of "deleting" my IMEI, then put the Vodafone update on my phone (and restored my IMEI).

Seemed like nothing has changed, ... except:

I was able to boot into backup 1 backup again!

And then I tried to boot into my first ICS (backup 2) and guess what 3G worked again!

The point is: I haven't figured out why backup 1&2 were not bootable before, but 3&4 were, and why this now changed and is the other way around now!

I might have done some other stuff before installing the NZ image (like wiping all data, fixing permisions, wiping dalvik cache etc), but I have done most of that before and it hasn't worked.

So my guess is: The NZ image (OTA update in dload-folder) has the ability to fix our issues, but first you have to prepare your device somehow to let the OTA beeing able to fix it.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but because I didn't realy think that would help this time, I wasn't writing down what I did, and I did so many things to this phone in the past 72 hours, I am impressed that it still works!

If you have any questions, please ask, but make them detailed and ASAP, as my memories will fade over time. :-(

C ya! (Now happy!)

Edited by smartbyte

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crows1998

It would be really helpful if someone could upload an AU stock rom for the G300. I've searched everywhere on the internet to no avail. Please!

Edited by crows1998

Guest crows1998

Unfortunately b884 has the same problem - no 3g and need to force 2g in order to connect to the network, Thanks for trying. Will just have to wait for an Australian rom.

kowcop over at whirlpool said

I had to zero out the IMEI while in ICS, install the downgrade middleman update, go back to GB and then restore the IMEI
However

Oz version has 3G 850/2100MHz so 3g wont work on 900mhz vodafone network in the bush

Possible solution - Bug vodafone/huawei unless it's really a hardware limitation

I'm pretty sure the UK version supports 900mhz 3g

Edited by tcpaulh

You're right on the 850 / 900 differences between UK and Oz. What do you mean by "Bug Vodafone" - sorry if a newb question.

Contact them and Huawei on facebook/twitter/forums and ask them to fix it basically. That's pretty much how we're appraoching vodafone/huawei in the UK and it 'might' be working for us. We'll see when the next release comes out.

• 2 weeks later...