• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

SMHenryT

SMHenryT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:MEDION LIFE P4012 (MD 98911)

Did your generated recovery.img end up to be about 16MB in size? If so, then it probably the same as the one I created with the recovery-from-boot.p and associated install script.

Yes, it's 16MB large (16.777.216 bytes exactly).

I think that recovery-from-boot.p uses kernel from your boot partition and the rest from the actual recovery-from-boot.p file to restore recovery partition (same kernel is in both partitions anyway). It also does this on every boot if it's changed. You should rename or remove it if you want to have custom recovery.

There seems to be no recovery-from-boot.p file on my device. I checked the /system folder.

I'm new to this custom ROM's but I have a question about it. I wish I could use this phone as a flashlight, which seems impossible for the moment. I found out that it has only 2 supported flashmodes: off,on. In order to work as a flashlight there should be a third mode: torch.
So my question: could a custom ROM be able to let the phone work as a flashlight?

KonstaT

KonstaT

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, ZTE Open C
  • Twitter:@konstatuomio

There seems to be no recovery-from-boot.p file on my device. I checked the /system folder.

I'm new to this custom ROM's but I have a question about it. I wish I could use this phone as a flashlight, which seems impossible for the moment. I found out that it has only 2 supported flashmodes: off,on. In order to work as a flashlight there should be a third mode: torch.
So my question: could a custom ROM be able to let the phone work as a flashlight?

Yeah, it usually only comes with updates. It's not included in stock ROMs.

Don't know about the torch. Turned out it was impossible on another ZTE device with LED flash (Skate). It probably isn't too good for the LEDs either to use it as a torch.

MJonMoDaCo

MJonMoDaCo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:PCs, Phones, Cars, Sports of all sorts.
  • Devices:ZTE Skate Acqua LG Optimus One

I've found a root solution from VOODOOS!L in another topic here on modaco:•Download 'unlockbootloader.exe' from http://www.modaco.co...ch_id=81949
•Run 'unlockbootloader.exe' and click 'ROOT Your Phone' - a console will appear and then close, after this open the app drawer and check that Superuser.apk has been installed OK, if so, you now have root.
•Run 'unlockbootloader.exe' again and this time click 'Unlock BOOTLOADER' - you should see the capacitive buttons flash on your phone and the app will close on completion.
•Power off your phone, remove battery for a few seconds and replace, then power on whilst holding vol. down and power to go in to fastboot - the phone will hang on the splash screen whilst in fastboot.
After reboot I got a static white FTM screen, no reaction of the phone anymore so I thought it would be death. I booted into recovery console (Power on while holding volume up) and selected 'whipe (sic) cache' option. Rebooted the device and everything worked fine with root access!

Brilliant. Worked perfectly for me. And here's something else interesting - painful but interesting - if you use the system update function, and it downloads the 200+MB file and installs, then it automatically unroots your phone in the process. Therefore I have had my phone rooted twice now, using this method both times. But that's not the painful bit. The painful bit, is that it deleted all my apps in the process. Nothing on your SD card gets touched though, so *sigh of relief*. But if your ZTE R22 is becoming slow, go for it,.

Edited by MJonMoDaCo, 01 March 2013 - 02:08 AM.

Spoiler

MJonMoDaCo

MJonMoDaCo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

I've found a root solution from VOODOOS!L in another topic here on modaco:•Download 'unlockbootloader.exe' from http://www.modaco.co...ch_id=81949
•Run 'unlockbootloader.exe' and click 'ROOT Your Phone' - a console will appear and then close, after this open the app drawer and check that Superuser.apk has been installed OK, if so, you now have root.
•Run 'unlockbootloader.exe' again and this time click 'Unlock BOOTLOADER' - you should see the capacitive buttons flash on your phone and the app will close on completion.
•Power off your phone, remove battery for a few seconds and replace, then power on whilst holding vol. down and power to go in to fastboot - the phone will hang on the splash screen whilst in fastboot.
After reboot I got a static white FTM screen, no reaction of the phone anymore so I thought it would be death. I booted into recovery console (Power on while holding volume up) and selected 'whipe (sic) cache' option. Rebooted the device and everything worked fine with root access!

Brilliant. Worked perfectly for me. And here's something else interesting - painful but interesting - if you use the system update function, and it downloads the 200+MB file and installs, then it automatically unroots your phone in the process. Therefore I have had my phone rooted twice now, using this method both times. Story.

Spoiler

fyrus_nia

fyrus_nia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just use the universal mtk root from bin4ry...too easy

Plug usb...
Run the Runme.bat...
Select 1
- on phone tab "restore"
- phone will reboot
Done
Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1362200075379.jpg   45.88KB   4 downloads

begincaos

begincaos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Brilliant. Worked perfectly for me. And here's something else interesting - painful but interesting - if you use the system update function, and it downloads the 200+MB file and installs, then it automatically unroots your phone in the process. Therefore I have had my phone rooted twice now, using this method both times. Story.

Hi, you use this to root ZTE Skate Aqua? If yes Can you pont me the direction? thanks

MJonMoDaCo

MJonMoDaCo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Hi, you use this to root ZTE Skate Aqua? If yes Can you pont me the direction? thanks

Sure thing.

You'll need the Android SDK:

http://developer.and.../sdk/index.html

You'll only need the sdk tools, and not the adt bundle. Unzip to directory of your choice - make it easy to remember where.

Then click on the following link (the link above has been cut off and therefore is incomplete):

http://www.modaco.co...attach_id=81949

then put it into the same folder as adb.exe, which will be inside one of the folders you unzipped.

Turn on usb debugging on your phone (app drawer --> settings --> developer options --> usb debugging)

then open a cmd console
Start --> Run --> type "cmd.exe" without the quotes.
Then type "adb devices" (again, without quotes). You'll know its successful if it lists a device. Mine says P772A13. Don't worry if yours is 'slightly' different (usually the last 3 characters), as long as there is an entry. Navigate to the folder with adb.exe/unlockbootloader.exe and either double click the unlockbootloader.exe, or if you used the cmd console to get there, then type "unlockbootloader.exe" without the quotes. You'll see a menu come up. Press the first option and wait. A dialog box tells you to leave your mouse & keyboard alone while it does its thing. When it is finished, your phone will be rooted.

Of course, there was one other useful option there - unlock the bootloader. You only need to use this if you want to install a custom rom... But if you only want root priviledges, then the first option (root your phone) will do.

NOTE: Yes, the program was designed for a different manufacturer (Huawei and not Zte) and phone, but it works - and provided it doesnt damage the phone (it doesnt . I've done it a dozen times or more now), that's all that matters.

You may ignore the part about wiping caches as that isn't really necessary in my experience.

Good luck. Have trouble? Let us know.

PS: Sorry for tardy reply.

Edited by MJonMoDaCo, 14 August 2013 - 11:43 AM.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users