Root?

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

Any special considerations for rooting the Medion P4102/ZTE Acqua...or do the standard universal methods (One Click, etc) work without issue?

Guest sui785

I don't think SuperOneClick will work coz it's for phones with Gingerbread on them.

Wouldn't hurt to try though(if it doesn't work then it doesn't work, won't brick/break ur phone).

Edited by sui785

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

Yeah, a long shot that did not work..just as predicted.

Not having much luck on finding valid root info for this phone. No CWM either, apparently.

Another process from another (that I am not familiar with) ZTE phone?

Any help ...or a point in the right direction..would surely be appreciated.

Guest sui785
Yeah, a long shot that did not work..just as predicted.

Not having much luck on finding valid root info for this phone. No CWM either, apparently.

Another process from another (that I am not familiar with) ZTE phone?

Any help ...or a point in the right direction..would surely be appreciated.

If you can pull the build.prop, that would be appreciated.

adb pull system/build.prop

You need to put the phone in debugging mode first settings-> development-> usb debugging

Btw does the phone have a custom launcher(a really ugly one?), i have the Blade II and it had a really ugly launcher.

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

Added txt extension and attached (did not want to post such a long thing and did not see (or could not find) any <spoiler> tags):

build.prop.txt

The stock launcher is (was) not the worst I have ever seen, but after about an hour I had already had enough of the permanent, unmovable or deletable Google Search 'widget' on the Home screen, and not a whole lot of launcher options anyway, so it was replaced pretty quickly. The latest Go Launcher (which is typically a performance killer), runs surprisingly well and fluid.

Guest sui785

ro.product.board=atlas40

Aha a revised Atlas 3,5? :D

You can ask Sebastian404, maybe if he has time, he can help you and make a compatible CWM for your device. He will probably also need to know wether you have a MTD or eMMC device(you can do this by doing adb shell and then cat /proc/mtd)

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

Can't get past the "$" in Shell..only get this:

shell@android:/ $ cat /proc/mtd

cat /proc/mtd

dev: size erasesize name

Don't really feel comfortable contacting anyone here yet..still new here.

But maybe those with the secrets will see this when I put:

HELP!!!!!

:D

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

Does anybody happen to have a stock recovery.img for this phone (or can build me one from Android 4.0.4 source files)?

I made the mistake of trying to flash various recovery.img files (none of which work) in order to attempt to flash SU.And I have no backup of the original.

I think I MAY have found a simple ROOT procedure, but in order to test it, it requires the stock recovery (or any recovery that actually works as right now I have <nothing>).

Any help would be appreciated. Can supply any information needed.

Guest Avenger 2.0

Does anybody happen to have a stock recovery.img for this phone (or can build me one from Android 4.0.4 source files)?

I made the mistake of trying to flash various recovery.img files (none of which work) in order to attempt to flash SU.And I have no backup of the original.

I think I MAY have found a simple ROOT procedure, but in order to test it, it requires the stock recovery (or any recovery that actually works as right now I have <nothing>).

Any help would be appreciated. Can supply any information needed.

How would one make a backup of the original recovery.img for you?

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

How would one make a backup of the original recovery.img for you?

If someone was smart enough (unlike me) to do a temporary root with SU, recovery, boot, etc could then be dumped in ADB. Once a root and CWM (or other recovery) are permanent, then it's too late.

Guest Avenger 2.0

I've found a root solution from VOODOOS!L in another topic here on modaco:

I just applied the instructions to root my Medion LifePhone P4012 MD98911 - Medion Life P4012! I noticed I has the same board as the Huawei Ascend G300 (and also very similar to ZTE N880E) although the Medion is delivered with ICS 4.0.4 pre-installed.

thus I only executed these steps:

• Download 'unlockbootloader.exe' from http://www.modaco.co...attach_id=81949
  • Run 'unlockbootloader.exe' and click 'ROOT Your Phone' - a console will appear and then close, after this open the app drawer and check that Superuser.apk has been installed OK, if so, you now have root.
  • Run 'unlockbootloader.exe' again and this time click 'Unlock BOOTLOADER' - you should see the capacitive buttons flash on your phone and the app will close on completion.
  • Power off your phone, remove battery for a few seconds and replace, then power on whilst holding vol. down and power to go in to fastboot - the phone will hang on the splash screen whilst in fastboot.

After reboot I got a static white FTM screen, no reaction of the phone anymore so I thought it would be death. I booted into recovery console (Power on while holding volume up) and selected 'whipe cache' option. Rebooted the device and everything worked fine with root access!

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

I've found a root solution from VOODOOS!L in another topic here on modaco:

Sadly, did not work for me..after many attempts..seems to 'complete' OK, but SU never gets installed.

Guest SMHenryT

Hello,

I bought a Medion P4012 (MD98911) in the Aldi in Belgium. (Btw, there's a typo in the first post by the TS, he wrote P4102)

And I want to root my smartphone.

I also want a backup from the original stockROM so I could flash it back (e.g. if i need it for warranty purposes).

Is this possible? And could someone explain to a noob.

Thanks in advance.

Or do I just have to following these instructions:

•Download 'unlockbootloader.exe' from http://www.modaco.co...ch_id=81949

•Run 'unlockbootloader.exe' and click 'ROOT Your Phone' - a console will appear and then close, after this open the app drawer and check that Superuser.apk has been installed OK, if so, you now have root.

•Run 'unlockbootloader.exe' again and this time click 'Unlock BOOTLOADER' - you should see the capacitive buttons flash on your phone and the app will close on completion.

•Power off your phone, remove battery for a few seconds and replace, then power on whilst holding vol. down and power to go in to fastboot - the phone will hang on the splash screen whilst in fastboot.

After reboot I got a static white FTM screen, no reaction of the phone anymore so I thought it would be death. I booted into recovery console (Power on while holding volume up) and selected 'whipe cache' option. Rebooted the device and everything worked fine with root access!

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

Hello,

I bought a Medion P4012 (MD98911) in the Aldi in Belgium. (Btw, there's a typo in the first post by the TS, he wrote P4102)

And I want to root my smartphone.

I also want a backup from the original stockROM so I could flash it back (e.g. if i need it for warranty purposes).

Is this possible? And could someone explain to a noob.

Thanks in advance.

Or do I just have to following these instructions:

Yeah, sorry about the typo..I meant 4012 obviously. Also purchased at Aldi-Belgium last week.

The method you quoted is one that somebody claimed to work on this phone, but I could not confirm it...it did not work for me, but on the other hand no harm came from trying it. Can't guarantee anything, of course.

I was going to try a different method, but cannot without the stock recovery.img...to much fiddling about with recovery images..don't do that!

If you are successful (without replacing recovery), the very next thing you should do is a dump. See here:

http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/

This will not give you a full restorable ROM image (you can only do that with a nandroid backup and you need a ClockworkMod or other recovery for that...and I do not know of an existing working one for this phone), but it will give you something to restore step by step if things go horribly wrong or you need to return the phone for warranty.

PS...I need your recovery.img before you change it... ^_^

Guest SMHenryT

Will this rom dump modify the recovery partition? (or any other files?)

I would prefer to make a full restorable ROM image.

Does someone know how to proceed? Is it correct that we need 2 phones for that?

I'm reading another topic but not everything is clear right now. If I'm correct this is the procedure to follow:

The first person installs clockworkmod recovery and does a nandroid backup (hence by installing CWM the recovery partition is modified)

This person uploads the boot.img and hopefully some clever (genius) forum member creates an insecure boot partition.

The second person installs this insecure boot partition and does a dump of the original recovery partition.

Finally, by combining these two backup's, it is possible to create a full stock ROM image.

Correct? So we need another person with a originally recovery partition.

And after the backup we can ROOT the phone, or is this already done when creating the insecure boot partition?

Btw: if someone can use this, here's some original kernel source code by ZTE.

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

Will this rom dump modify the recovery partition? (or any other files?)

Rom dumps don't modify anything. They merely copy what is on the phone.

As for the rest, you really don't need two phones I wouldn't think...the result can be the same:

If you can successfully root, you can dump what you can (including the unmodified recovery.img).

Then (if you can find one or get someone to build one) install a recovery that will allow a nandroid backup (full ROM image). This would be the same as if you 'got' a nandroid backup from somebody else, but safer since it is from your individual phone. Attempting to restore an image from a different phone is full of bad potential.

In the meantime, somebody somewhere is likely to obtain a full backup/update file from Medion eventually. Installing this would overwrite everything back to default standard as delivered.

Guest Avenger 2.0

Rooting using the instructions I posted above worked flawless here on my Medion P4012. Just make sure you install android adb + zte usb drivers first and test with "adb devices" command to see if it detects your phone before proceeding with the rooting. The bootloader unlocking isn't necessary if you just want root.

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

@Avenger 2.0:

Can I have your recovery.img please?

EDIT:

Rooting using the instructions I posted above worked flawless

Success! Once I moved the app (unlockbootloader.exe) into the same path as ADB (for me, Users/<username>), it was able to copy files to the phone as required. I only had to update SU to the SuperSU chainfire version from Google Play and all root functions now seem to work.

Edited by Yurbuh Tuggly

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

How would I make a recovery backup? Do you have a tutorial?

See this thread (skip the part about z4root):

Or here:

http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/

One or both of those methods might work..or maybe a simple ADB command, but I don't know about that.

Maybe the clockworkmod from G300 will install on this phone.

Maybe. But it's my opinion to wait for an 'official' ClockworkMod or other recovery with support for this phone. If it does NOT work, and you have no backup of the original, you will be left in a state such as I have right now....no recovery console at all.

Guest Avenger 2.0

It doesn't work. Romdump gives segmentation fault and manual adb shell methode will not find any partitions.

Edited by Avenger 2.0

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

No luck with dumping anything from me either...yet.

I also tried this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28719715

And could backup APPS and other stuff, but not dump...even after manually inserting the romdump file (with Root Explorer) in system/bin and changing the permissions since it could not do it for some reason. It still just sits and does nothing when a dump is initiated.

There must be something peculiar about the file sysytem.

Guest SMHenryT

Succes! :) I also followed those instructions for rooting. I just skipped unlocking the bootloader.

•Download 'unlockbootloader.exe' from http://www.modaco.co...ch_id=81949

•Run 'unlockbootloader.exe' and click 'ROOT Your Phone' - a console will appear and then close, after this open the app drawer and check that Superuser.apk has been installed OK, if so, you now have root.

•Power off your phone, remove battery for a few seconds and replace, then power on whilst holding vol. down and power to go in to fastboot - the phone will hang on the splash screen whilst in fastboot.

After reboot I got a static white FTM screen, no reaction of the phone anymore so I thought it would be death. I booted into recovery console (Power on while holding volume up) and selected 'wipe cache partition' option. Rebooted the device and everything worked fine with root access!

Also I didn't select the 'wipe cache partition', I just selected 'Reboot'.

I wasn't sure that a partition would be erased or not.

THANKS so much!!

Unfortunately that romdump isn't working (see Avenger 2.0). Maybe I could try but I probably wil have the same error.

One more thing; @Yurbuh Tuggly; why did you replace superuser by SuperSU chainfire version? Does it have extra functions?