Descent on smartphone - here we come

Guest spacemonkey

Guest spacemonkey

Found some nice source code to run descent on the pocket pc. Now that sounds like something we need :lol:

The biggest problem is that it doesn't work with shareware files (apparently) so it'll only be useable by people with an old set of descent discs or dubious morals...

Still, I'll dig out my old copy of descent... I just loved that game back in 1995 ;)

Guest spacemonkey

up,down left right... forwards backwards , fire... something to change weapons, something to roll (this could be obscure cos who cares if your upside down)

Stafe would be nice but then you might be pushing the envelope on what you can get your fingers at... (especially for up,down,left right strafe)

Maybe your right :lol: still that was the big complaint on the pocket pc version and they've only got like 6 buttons ;)

Guest Gorskar

Hope it works with that minijoystick that is coming out. I really want one of those - should be cheaper than the keyboard, and make gameplay a lot more viable.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Minijoystick is a bit weird, and I think software has to be coded to support it.

At least it didn't work with a couple of games I tried!

P

Guest Richie M
Well, the keyboard doesn't work with games either :(

:lol: the keyboard dosent work with anything at the mo ;)

until "tomorrow" that is, if you believe what you read :lol:

"]Minijoystick is a bit weird, and I think software has to be coded to support it.

At least it didn't work with a couple of games I tried!

P

where do you get this mini joystick?? from the comments I'm assuming that it plugs into the port at the bottom of the phone

as for it not working, it probably gives a new set of keycodes to the phone - so unless the game has been programmed for these new codes, it won't work

the only other way would be to run a 'wrapper' program that reads these new keycodes in, and generates old keycodes at a system level - and I'm not 100% sure the phone will allow this

I don't think it is available to us mere mortals yet, but here is the article mentioning it: http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/501.html

Presumably it needs special drivers also, which I would hope will be included in the update that adds in the keyboard drivers. (Whenever that might be) - Could be just the thing for quake though ;)

just read the article - the joystick is not exactly compact is it? also the other hand is now pretty much taken up with holding the phone whilst your joystick hand floats in space about a foot away :lol:

did love the description of the 'virtual joystick' function on the keyboard though :(

I can just see the manual now :-

'mash keys upwards to go up, mash keys to the left to go left .....'

Guest Richie M
I still can't see that working (i'll stop thinking its a hoax once i see it working for real... ;p)

He he i keep trying to remember if it was posted on 1st April :lol:

Also, i can see RSI being a problem with that joystick :?

is it just me or does the joystick look like a remote detonating button???

is this the SPV bomb? or just the SPV equivalent of CTRL-ALT-DEL :lol:

Guest fraser

The keyboard joystick could work, the key thing is that the developers are implementing it in the device drivers. It would be a disaster doing it in application software.

Nothing new though. I remember having a Commodore 64 musical keyboard overlay for the keyboard, many many moons ago.