G300 Vs HTC Desire?

Guest Jetpac

Guest Jetpac

Im finally coming to the end of my contract and will be switching to a sim only deal and fancy a change of phone at the same time.

How do you guys reckon the G300 compares to the original HTC Desire?

I have always been happy with the desire and its fairly stable at the moment running ICS... but could be better!

Anyone here owned both and can give a decent POV?

Cheers!

Guest naghtan

Dear friend, I came from a HTC Desire, and I msut buy these one, becasue I cant afford buy S3 or some Premium series cell phone from now... And I must change of cell phone becasue my Desire had end of his days... them...

In general I feel more powerful and useful the HTC Desire, I dont know how, or why... I imagine, them chefs, had a lot of more experience with HTC them G300... But almost games or apps works fine... here are... crazy...

But I believe these cell phone, with a good rom... could be less same level than HTC desire... but untill we not have a good rom from Huawei or any chefs... we cant discover what really can give these cell phone to us..

bye

Guest JokerNJ

My HTC Desire is being repaired at the moment and I bought a G300 with a view to having a spare handset. I thought with ICS, I might actually keep the G300 and go SIM only in November when my contract expires.

Technically, the G300 should be better than the Desire, but it's just not as polished yet. On original GB or using B926 (ICS) or Infusion (ICS), the G300 is not as smooth as my Desire running Oxygen 2.3.7 or even Sandvold's ICS beta.

The screen doesnt seem as responsive and the buttons are no match on the hardware keys on Desire. Lag keeps rearing its head too. Not terrible but enough that the experience is not as good as other handsets*.

I'm really hoping that the official Huawei / Vodafone ROM includes HWA and the lag is fixed as otherwise this is not a long-term prospect for me.

The good points? It feels more solid than the Desire. Slightly bigger screen but the handset feels a nice size. Screen is nice and bright. Camera seems to be superior to Desire (although I'm using CameraICS+ app as the stock app is slow).

*I am keeping in mind that this is a £99 handset

Guest Rico_89

I don't have an HTC Desire but it's specs are pretty much the same as the G300, so similar in fact that there is no way I could justify paying way more than twice as much on the HTC than the G300. I can't believe that you wouldn't be able to find a better phone, than the HTC Desire, for £210 to £250.

Guest godsakes

2nd hand HTC desires can be had for £70-100ish which makes it a more comparable option for someone considering a G300 (assuming you can find a one in decent condition)

very.co.uk was doing a £30 off deal on new customer orders (over £60) which made the G300 just £73 delivered which was unbeatable

Guest Jetpac

I already own the Desire, so it is not a question of value for money comparing which to get, the phone is just 2 years old now so was looking for a decent and cheap upgrade (as i wont be committing to a contact with phone)

So far the G300 and the San diego look good (im just hoping that it can be cracked in the next few months!)

Any other suggestions? only looking to go as far as roughly a 4" screen anything much bigger is too big!

The ROM chefs have had a long time to play with the desire so there are some extremely fast and efficent ROMs out there for it. In comparison the G300 has very few ROMs and even those are normally modded from the same bases. We also have no where near the amount of devs working on the G300 as the desire has had in its lifetime.

A good comparison would be both devices runnng CM9 (or even CM7) but we don't even have that at this point (although Dazzozo is trying his damndest to get it running). I think given enough time the G300 will out perform the desire (it already does in some benchmarks) but at the moment the ROMs are not mature enough.

Edited by Hpez

Guest unaszplodrmann

I'd stick with the Desire. Other than the Cortex A5 in the G300 generally being a bit faster than the A8 in the Desire, there's nothing to commend it over the Desire, which sports better hardware and is better supported. Theres no serious development going on for the G300. Who knows, that may change come the official ICS update from Huawei, but the Desire is still the better phone.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Simply for having a non-comical amount of app storage I'd upgrade. But that's me.

The falling cost of Class 10 MicroSD cards, coupled with the move to MTP and a better partition scheme in ICS pretty much nullifies that problem, though.

Guest JokerNJ

I'm going to revise my opinion a little bit. I had put B926 ICS on pretty much straight away and it was a bit laggy. I've now downgraded (the squeaky-bum method) back to Gingerbread and flashed Paul's G2 ROM.

With the ROM now close to Huawei stock and the lag gone, it is excellent. Once the official ICS build with hardware acceleration comes along it will be superior to the HTC Desire. Bigger screen, solid body and proper ICS without any hacky shenanigans.

Guest kyan31

My friend has a HTC desire and I have compared it to my g300. The G300 is actually faster as I have tested it through antutu, and this is because it uses a newer generation processor. The desires build quality is superior compared to the g300 as it is metal compared to the g300 plastic. They both have gorilla glass so the g300 screen is better, seeing its 4inch. Also the desires camera is really bad even though its a 5mp. It looks more like a 3.15mp. The g300 has really good quality (especially with quickpic gallery) and the camera is pretty fast on ICS. The g300 may seem slow as ICS isn't the full release yet.

Guest kyan31
I'd stick with the Desire. Other than the Cortex A5 in the G300 generally being a bit faster than the A8 in the Desire, there's nothing to commend it over the Desire, which sports better hardware and is better supported. Theres no serious development going on for the G300. Who knows, that may change come the official ICS update from Huawei, but the Desire is still the better phone.

Probably when ICS with hardware acceleration comes out, dazzozo will be able to finish CM9 and lots of other ICS roms will come out.

Guest unaszplodrmann
The g300 has really good quality (especially with quickpic gallery) and the camera is pretty fast on ICS.

Have you tested a QR app with the camera on ICS? I'm jut wondering if the camera firmware was maybe updated by the B92x Huawei packages. The camera hardware itself seems pretty damn good for a budget phone, but the rapid refocusing issue is a bother.

Guest Lgdslr

A write up including a comparison with the Desire I did when I got my G300:

http://letsgodslr.blogspot.com/2012/06/huawei-ascend-g300-and-cyanogenmod-9.html

Definitely get a G300. I hated my Desire because of the rubbish internal memory and how slow the bloody thing was.

And regarding Hpez's comments - I tried an awful lot of HTC Desire ROMs and was never happy. I thought MIUI was the best of the bunch. When I got my G300 a month ago, there was no working ICS (I thought Sandvold's was a mess - bootloops, not even booting, etc, after several install attempts I gave up. Longest install lasted about a day.). On the G300 you have an official, factory ICS and it's made all the difference to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest godsakes

Just got a 2nd hand desire myself so i can compare the 2, here's my first impressions:

The G300 benchmarks better (being a newer CPU generation) and beats the Desire (even with a 10% overclock) however in real life this is only noticeable on 3d performance (say a game like major mayhem) 2d performance is either equal or favours the Desire which I can only assume is down to better optimised roms for it. In general the Desire has a smoother UI and feels more responsive especially on touch screen accuracy which I feel the g300 needs work on.

The camera seems better on the G300, having better dynamic range and quicker to autofocus but being a DSLR snob myself I don't consider either particularly good, so long as they can scan in a barcode they serve my needs

The Desire does not suffer from the low mic problem which affects a lot of g300 users, I can be heard clearly without using the loudspeaker trick on the g300, as a phone the Desire is better. Headphones sound better on the Desire (the g300 always had some hiss), conversely the loudspeaker is better on the g300.

The g300 has in theory far more storage, but it's hampered by the silly partitioning which greatly limits what can be used for apps, also link2SD helps to get around the storage problem on the Desire. Overall easily in favour of the g300 but could and should have been more so if the g300 partitions were adjusted to be more generous on app space.

Build quality is easily in the Desires favour for it's metal case, but given it's a 2yr old phone you might have issues with your sample - the buttons for example on mine are getting stubborn. Equally important is the Desire's rubber back means you can actually grip onto the phone, whereas the slippery case on the g300 is an accident waiting to happen (I've dropped mine several times before i got a flip case for it)

Both screens are great, I'd give an edge to the g300 for the extra size

Battery life is noticeably better on the g300 due to the 1500amh battery (vs the 1400amh in the Desire), i would also assume the newer components of the g300 would be more energy efficient, that said given my Desire is going to be around a 1yr old the battery life has probably shortened over use.

Overall I'd say the Desire wins overall (currently) due to the better optimised roms and lack of the mic problem - but I would expect this to change within the next 6 months as devs bring out polished roms and enable other features on the g300.

Edited by godsakes