It's been fun... (G300 Return thread) DOC NOW UPLOADED

Guest dragpyre

Guest dragpyre

Well, this is it.

I've had enough.

I was lied to, I don't know who has lied to me, but someone did.

Huawei told me to contact vodafone to get a factory restore done.

Went into Vodafone Canterbury today, they said they have the files, and if I came back in 30 minutes, it'll be factory reset with everything restored to stock.

Come back 40 minutes later, they haven't even done anything to it, everything is still the same, and the build number was still B885.

The guy who said it could be done wasn't there, so a blonde woman finds it and says she'll do it.

I get it back 5 minutes later, all she did was go into settings - privacy - factory reset (so just wiping user data, not a proper factory reset).

I confront her about this, and she says "oh, well I dunno why my colleague would say that, but we're not trained to do it in store". I respond by telling her that customer services says it was possible, and she just repeats the same typical textbook lines with the fake apologies.

So I leave, and then hop on a bus to Vodafone Folkestone. I get to Vodafone Folkestone, and FINALLY. I find a person who's straight with me, and she simply says "The only firmware we hold in store is Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Blackberry, but we can send your phone off for 7-10 days for a repair." I simply state that I cannot be without a phone for that long.

I am displeased with Huawei and displeased with Vodafone. I have been lied to, I have been ignored, I have been patronised, and for myself, varying members of this forum and plenty of people on the Vodafone forums, this phone has been nothing but trouble for the vast majority of users.

So under the Sales of Goods Act, because the phone has not functioned as it should have, I will be getting a refund for the phone tomorrow. I have proof of purchase for the phone, I have noted down all symptoms that the phone suffers from, and I will be taking a copy of relevant sections of the Act with me. I am allowed to refuse vouchers or store credit, as it does not fulfill the requirements of the Act, and it is my right to demand a refund, and I do not have to accept a replacement or "repair." Vodafone's/Huawei's support (in my opinion, some may disagree), has been inconsistent, sometimes false, and not supportive of consumers.

So today, I purchased an excellent phone, the Sony Xperia U from the O2 store. The man in there, who was assistant store manager, I had met previously because my partner had sold him a guitar, so he gave us a staff discount, taking the price of the phone from £160 down to £144, and we did not have to purchase a top up or take a SIM with us (I'm on GiffGaff, so I needed an unlocked or O2 SIM). The O2 shop was also the cheapest place to purchase the phone. It's has a Dual Core Cortex A9 Processor at 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 8GB internal storage, 854 x 480px at 280ppi, 720p HD recording, 3D camera, 4 finger multi touch, Mali 4100-MP graphics and a guaranteed full update to ICS. It was a real bargain and I'd recommend it thoroughly.

tl:dr Vodafone are liars and the support is terrible, and my rights under the Sale of Goods Act stand.

I won't be gone forever, I'd love to see where the development and community goes, and I hope full OpenGL will be available to you all.. But I will keep my eye on Xperia U development, especially seeing as Sony are promising JB for 2012 Xperia Phones. But for now, I will say goodbye.

Thanks for the past few months guys. It's been a pretty sweet ride.

Edited by dragpyre

Guest dragpyre

Well done sticking to your guns :) Sounds like you got a schweet deal on the Xperia U!

You and I may not have always seen eye to eye, but thanks for your support.

I cannot be without a phone, and I cannot be down £100, my partner is expecting shortly (she's due on the 14TH!), and I need to be near a phone all the time at work and at home in case things kick off.

I'm also going to be taking with me print outs of problems direct from their forums too. Their manager's going to have a real bad day :L

Guest FrankieADZ

well done for sticking to ur guns :)

this isnt going bowed well considering I'm taking mine back today.

might well get rid of it for good....:wacko:

Guest Davidoff59

frankie let me know how long you have had the phone and how you get on. My sid card keeps saying its been unmounted randomly so I think my 2nd g300 is giving up. Unfit for purpose?

Guest MrPuddington
tl:dr Vodafone are liars and the support is terrible, and my rights under the Sale of Goods Act stand.

I agree - the support is absolutely disgraceful and way below the minimum standard required by law. Especially the Sales of Goods Act seems to be completely lost on them. But I have to say that my local store was very helpful, and they sorted out the hardware problem in my phone within a week.

PS: Do not forget to claim for your time, too. You can do that if the process is unreasonably lengthy, and if there is one company that applies to, it would be Vodafone.

Edited by MrPuddington

After talking to VF 2nd line support I was offered two options:

1. Do a ‘factory reset' and then (try to) do an OTA update (to scary).

2. Visit a local VF shop and they would use their VF ROM’s to revert to stock.

I called the Nottingham VF shop and spoke to the techie. He said "VF doesn't give us ROM's or anything like that". He suggested returning it to Huawei. That's Catch 22 - when I spoke to Huawei they said take it to VF!!

I went to the Derby VF shop but their techie is on hols until next Tuesday; the manager thought the techie would be able to help, so I’m going to try then.

But judging by dragpyre’s experience, I don’t hold out much hope.

Guest FrankieADZ

after going there earlier....ive decided to sell my G300, they say theres not a fault on there(i know there is)

really dont know if Im going to get a new 1 now.probably not.

just need to decide what new phone to get now

Guest tillaz

after going there earlier....ive decided to sell my G300, they say theres not a fault on there(i know there is)

really dont know if Im going to get a new 1 now.probably not.

just need to decide what new phone to get now

i would opt for something tegra based if you do get another phone

to be fair though, there's nothing else as good for £100 so would have to pay a bit more

Guest FrankieADZ

i would opt for something tegra based if you do get another phone

to be fair though, there's nothing else as good for £100 so would have to pay a bit more

well tried another Vodafone shop in Nottingham & they did something that seem to fix it atm(dunno what they did. went away then came back)...they said keep an eye on it.

if it does it again...ebay ahoy for it.

still might be tempted to get a new phone....dunno which tho. lol. was looks at a S2 lol

Edited by FrankieADZ

Guest tillaz

well tried another Vodafone shop in Nottingham & they did something that seem to fix it atm(dunno what they did. went away then came back)...they said keep an eye on it.

if it does it again...ebay ahoy for it.

still might be tempted to get a new phone....dunno which tho. lol. was looks at a S2 lol

you can get a new S2 for £260

but with nivida's new Kia platform you will be getting quad core tegra 3 smartphone's for the same price very soon... (at the latest Christmas time)

http://www.androidau...rtphones-99733/

my advice would be to hold out for a little while longer, and get the next best thing for the same price,

that's what im waiting for anyway

Guest FrankieADZ

you can get a new S2 for £260

but with nivida's new Kia platform you will be getting quad core tegra 3 smartphone's for the same price very soon... (at the latest Christmas time)

http://www.androidau...rtphones-99733/

my advice would be to hold out for a little while longer, and get the next best thing for the same price,

that's what im waiting for anyway

thanks for the tip :)

well it seems to be holding up so far *touch wood*

still be tempted with a new phone at Xmas tho ;)

Guest ADROW

It sounds like Huawei are in the same position as HTC a few years ago. They want to make the move from OEM phone manufacturer, to full-on mobile brand but they don't yet have anything like the aftersales support structure in place. This will lose them customers just as it did with HTC.

Guest FrankieADZ

It sounds like Huawei are in the same position as HTC a few years ago. They want to make the move from OEM phone manufacturer, to full-on mobile brand but they don't yet have anything like the aftersales support structure in place. This will lose them customers just as it did with HTC.

dont think it helps when you give exclusivity to someone like Vodafone tbf

Guest timfimjim

Yep I'm sick of the problems I have with mine too. Dead pixels and faulty storage. I'll take it in to voda. don't want a new phone though, I just want this one to work. However if official ICS isn't fully featured when it comes out I'm getting a refund. Shouldve stuck with my zte skate!

Guest FrankieADZ

Yep I'm sick of the problems I have with mine too. Dead pixels and faulty storage. I'll take it in to voda. don't want a new phone though, I just want this one to work. However if official ICS isn't fully featured when it comes out I'm getting a refund. Shouldve stuck with my zte skate!

its a good phone just as said the after support for faults isnt well...very good

Guest Maximus9

Hi there,

Could you upload the relevant pages from the Sales Act to benefit other people?

I already returned mine 2 month or so ago and still no refund!

My second one is having issues too, random restarts and so on.

By the looks of ti, every single phone has some kind of problems.

Well, this is it.

I've had enough.

I was lied to, I don't know who has lied to me, but someone did.

Huawei told me to contact vodafone to get a factory restore done.

Went into Vodafone Canterbury today, they said they have the files, and if I came back in 30 minutes, it'll be factory reset with everything restored to stock.

Come back 40 minutes later, they haven't even done anything to it, everything is still the same, and the build number was still B885.

The guy who said it could be done wasn't there, so a blonde woman finds it and says she'll do it.

I get it back 5 minutes later, all she did was go into settings - privacy - factory reset (so just wiping user data, not a proper factory reset).

I confront her about this, and she says "oh, well I dunno why my colleague would say that, but we're not trained to do it in store". I respond by telling her that customer services says it was possible, and she just repeats the same typical textbook lines with the fake apologies.

So I leave, and then hop on a bus to Vodafone Folkestone. I get to Vodafone Folkestone, and FINALLY. I find a person who's straight with me, and she simply says "The only firmware we hold in store is Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Blackberry, but we can send your phone off for 7-10 days for a repair." I simply state that I cannot be without a phone for that long.

I am displeased with Huawei and displeased with Vodafone. I have been lied to, I have been ignored, I have been patronised, and for myself, varying members of this forum and plenty of people on the Vodafone forums, this phone has been nothing but trouble for the vast majority of users.

So under the Sales of Goods Act, because the phone has not functioned as it should have, I will be getting a refund for the phone tomorrow. I have proof of purchase for the phone, I have noted down all symptoms that the phone suffers from, and I will be taking a copy of relevant sections of the Act with me. I am allowed to refuse vouchers or store credit, as it does not fulfill the requirements of the Act, and it is my right to demand a refund, and I do not have to accept a replacement or "repair." Vodafone's/Huawei's support (in my opinion, some may disagree), has been inconsistent, sometimes false, and not supportive of consumers.

So today, I purchased an excellent phone, the Sony Xperia U from the O2 store. The man in there, who was assistant store manager, I had met previously because my partner had sold him a guitar, so he gave us a staff discount, taking the price of the phone from £160 down to £144, and we did not have to purchase a top up or take a SIM with us (I'm on GiffGaff, so I needed an unlocked or O2 SIM). The O2 shop was also the cheapest place to purchase the phone. It's has a Dual Core Cortex A9 Processor at 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 8GB internal storage, 854 x 480px at 280ppi, 720p HD recording, 3D camera, 4 finger multi touch, Mali 4100-MP graphics and a guaranteed full update to ICS. It was a real bargain and I'd recommend it thoroughly.

I won't be gone forever, I'd love to see where the development and community goes, and I hope full OpenGL will be available to you all.. But I will keep my eye on Xperia U development, especially seeing as Sony are promising JB for 2012 Xperia Phones. But for now, I will say goodbye.

Thanks for the past few months guys. It's been a pretty sweet ride.

Guest Hogweed

Good summary of Sale of Goods Act (1979) http://www.which.co....ct/your-rights/

Actual Act http://www.legislati...k/ukpga/1979/54

====

I have to say that as far as I am concerned all of the annoying bugs I had have been fixed with updates and my own phone is pretty much 100% reliable and virtually never crashes, resets etc. Well maybe two crashes I can recall in 3 months. Touch wood...

I wouldn't dream of taking it back to the shop. It definitely is not the case that all G300s have some kind of nasty problem. Not at all.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest ahatomastarday

Hi there,

Could you upload the relevant pages from the Sales Act to benefit other people?

I already returned mine 2 month or so ago and still no refund!

My second one is having issues too, random restarts and so on.

By the looks of ti, every single phone has some kind of problems.

I feel sorry for those of you who are having issues with this phone, I know it must be very frustrating, but please don't alarm everybody with false statements. It isn't true that every single phone has problems, that's not the case at all. Mine is perfectly fine and in HTCMania (a big Spanish mobile phones forum in which I participate regularly) the vast majority of users aren't experiencing any problems either. I'd say most people is not just happy but very happy in fact with the performance, looks and build quality of this phone.

I realize I might sound like a guy from a Vodafone store or something, but the truth is that I'm seeing quite a lot of negativism around here and I don't think the phone deserves it (another sign of this negativism would be the thread in which almost everybody doubts the ICS update will feature a OpenGL accelerated UI even when Huawei has clearly said it will). I personally couldn't be happier with this phone and I think it's a fantastic buy, a total no-brainer. I can only say good luck to the folks having issues.

Guest dragpyre

I will be uploading the print out I handed to Canterbury's store manager tonight. I'm currently away from my PC, but I'm responding from my Sony Xperia U. ICS is due next week :)

I will also provide links to all the evidence I gave them from this forum and Vodafone's where people have has issues with this phone.

You will have a clear understanding of where Huewei/Vodafone wronged me.

EDIT: Also, I got my money back, both for the phone and the expired, unused top up :)

Sent from my Sony Xperia U.

Edited by dragpyre