I need some advice

Guest kn100

Guest kn100

Hello, I bought the G300 in the hopes it would be a swap in upgrade for my previously excellent ZTE Skate. Ever since I've had it, it's been nothing but trouble:

• Wifi reception is TERRIBLE. Compared to my Monte Carlo and pretty much every other wifi device I own, this one can barely hold a signal where the others have no problem.
  • Network reception is pretty terrible - I get 0 bars where my old monte carlo would have 2 or 3
  • Calls drop a lot - Self explanatory
  • Occasional lock ups - I'll just start using the phone and it'll lock up for a few seconds and then continue on its way like nothings happened

In a hope to fix this, I did the official upgrade to ICS. Now I've managed to get back down to Gingerbread with my IMEI and all that, it works fine, the issue is, I want to return this piece of crap, as there STILL hasn't been an official ICS update as promised to me by staff there, and I've generally not really had a good time with this phone. The problem is, my bootloader is showing the chinese network rather than voda.

How do I get my bootloader from this chinese one back to stock or at least so it looks stock? Can I change the image or something?

Also any advice on getting a straight return for cash, I don't want a repair and I don't want store credit.

Flash the ROM below the same way you did the ICS update (dload folder etc) and you will be back to stock exactly as when it was brand new - stock splash, stock boot anim and vodafone branded.

http://www.flibblesan.co.uk/android/g300/HUAWEI_U8815_Android_2.3_V100R001C02B882_England_Vodafone_05010XJM.zip

You might need to downgrade again first via the I5romtoolbox I'm not sure if you can do a straight flash from GB without the downgrade.

Guest kn100

Nah, I'm done with the G300 - Seeing how willing Huawei were to put out such a crap ICS update and the problems I've had with this thing - I think I'mma just upgrade to the xperia u.

Don't get me wrong, the phone was pretty excellent. It's just a few small annoyances that make it extremely annoying to use as a smartphone.

Edited by kn100

I admit the G300 ain't perfect and I can understand changing to another phone after having that crap but that is clearly a faulty unit, mine certainly doesn't suffer from the problems you list above.

Guest irishpancake

You did official ICS update??

And you also say there is no Official ICS update??

So what "official" update(s) did you apply??

"Leaked Official" Update(s)...??

This is a new definition of "Official"

The device is far from crap, IMHO..

it is a well specified budget Android handset running GB, being sold at a knock down price.....

and I am still waiting for ICS, as Official ICS has not been released.

Edited by irishpancake

I've read in various threads that several people have tried downloading B882 from the forum and flashing it, but the download folder doesn't have the vendor file, so toggles and the Vodafone branding is missing?

Guest dragpyre

All the flak I get in my thread, and here's a thread with pretty similar issues.

Flash the ROM below the same way you did the ICS update (dload folder etc) and you will be back to stock exactly as when it was brand new - stock splash, stock boot anim and vodafone branded.

http://www.flibblesa...ne_05010XJM.zip

You might need to downgrade again first via the I5romtoolbox I'm not sure if you can do a straight flash from GB without the downgrade.

It's not vodafone branded because there is no Vendor file. Vodafone apps and toggles will be missing.

You did official ICS update??

And you also say there is no Official ICS update??

So what "official" update(s) did you apply??

He clearly states the following:

How do I get my bootloader from this chinese one back to stock or at least so it looks stock? Can I change the image or something?

So he flashed B926, which IS official (in China anyway)

I created this document highlighting the issues with my phone: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2YM0E6mBttnekdhTU01NUNySTA

Printed off the issues with the phone from Modaco and Vodafone's forums.

Took it with me to the store, handed it to them.

Suffice to say, my £110 appeared back in my account this morning.

Good luck.

It's not vodafone branded because there is no Vendor file. Vodafone apps and toggles will be missing.

Strange, it says UK Vodafone in the file name and when I used it I am pretty sure my phone went back to exactly how it was when I bought it, same wallpaper, same splash screen everything.

Guest mack_

I've read in various threads that several people have tried downloading B882 from the forum and flashing it, but the download folder doesn't have the vendor file, so toggles and the Vodafone branding is missing?

diito

i flashed it over ics and it broke some of the parts of the phone(ie camera and contacts,and no toggles on the notification bar)

Guest luvvt

Yep just reinsatlled B882 from B927 and no notification toggles

Re: Boot logo, i found that when you reinstate the imei, the boot logo reverts back to the chinese version boot logo. This was carried over from saving the imei from B926.

Solution for me was to install this rom over ics .........

Then flashing sebastians boot logo .........

Resaving the imei with the new boot logo whilst still on on miuv4-274

Applying this new imei saved img after installation of new rom.

As for the vendor file i am yet to find a solution.

I have gone back to B885 as is the only official stock release ota in preperation for official ics

http://forum.vodafone.co.nz/topic/10597-ics-coming-to-huawei-ascend-g300/

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Vodafone staff were wrong to promise you an ICS update by this time. Huawei themselves have only ever indicated it would be released in Q3 (i.e. between the start of July and the end of September).

It does sound as though you've got a dodgy unit, though, judging by your comments. If you have the extra dosh to spare then by all means buy a more expensive model (I would, if I could). However, if £100 is the extent of your budget then I, personally, would persevere with getting your handset replaced. You won't get a better specced Android phone on this budget. The only comparable one I can think of is the Lumia 710, which is a Windows phone.

Guest dragpyre

Vodafone staff were wrong to promise you an ICS update by this time. Huawei themselves have only ever indicated it would be released in Q3 (i.e. between the start of July and the end of September).

It does sound as though you've got a dodgy unit, though, judging by your comments. If you have the extra dosh to spare then by all means buy a more expensive model (I would, if I could). However, if £100 is the extent of your budget then I, personally, would persevere with getting your handset replaced. You won't get a better specced Android phone on this budget. The only comparable one I can think of is the Lumia 710, which is a Windows phone.

The Xperia Mini Pro is floating around for around £100-£110, and that has an upgrade to ICS already out, no plans for Jellybean though.

Only real difference is screen size and resolution, which is smaller, aside from that, its comparable.

http://www.gsmarena....ni_pro-3713.php

EDIT: The Xperia Ray is available for £120-£130 online also, with ICS too.

http://www.gsmarena....ia_ray-3972.php

The ZTE Crescent is a good Sub £100 choice, but you'd have to put up with a weaker processor.

http://www.gsmarena.com/orange_san_francisco_ii-4330.php

The Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate) is again a good choice, with a large development community, larger screen, but again, weaker processor.

http://www.gsmarena.com/orange_monte_carlo-4619.php

Edited by dragpyre

Guest irishpancake

All the flak I get in my thread, and here's a thread with pretty similar issues.

He clearly states the following:

So he flashed B926, which IS official (in China anyway)

I created this document highlighting the issues with my phone: https://docs.google....ekdhTU01NUNySTA

Printed off the issues with the phone from Modaco and Vodafone's forums.

Took it with me to the store, handed it to them.

Suffice to say, my £110 appeared back in my account this morning.

Good luck.

Obviously kn100 got a lemon, as it seemed to be problematical from the get-go....

as evidenced by the wifi/network/dropped calls/lock-ups he had.

It appears there is either a bad batch of devices out there, or perhaps individual devices which should not have got past QC......

or indeed users have caused some "damage" themselves and are unable to recover.

But the situation here and in other cases, has been exacerbated by the flashing of these "Official" ROM's, or leaks, perhaps not understanding the implications of doing this, and then being left with a device which wears the evidence of this flashing boldly in Chinese!!!

This ends up with the user attempting to return a compromised device after all this stuff has been done, after obviously voiding any warranty they had, notwithstanding their consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act, or whatever.

If you have a faulty item, it is never a good idea to try to rectify the situation yourself, by attempting stuff which clearly can lead to further damage being inflicted......

much better to return it immediately, and vindicate your consumer rights, without needing or having to cover the tracks of modifications you have attempted, to fix, or just modify the device.

To expect VF, or any other operator, who sell these devices at a subsidised price, to customers locked to their Network, to just accept back devices which obviously have been modified by the users, for whatever reason, is just a step to far.

Ppl who Root, SIM Unlock, flash official unofficial ROM's, even change Stock Recovery for CWM, should be aware of the risks, and be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions........

In fact, most threads by devs have disclaimers relating to these risks, and usually warnings regarding warranties.......

Best of Luck!!

Guest dragpyre

Ppl who Root, SIM Unlock, flash official unofficial ROM's, even change Stock Recovery for CWM, should be aware of the risks, and be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions..........

SIM unlocking, whether by flashing of a chip inside the phone or the entering of a code, is a perfectly legal practice in the United Kingdom and does not void any warranties. If a network argued that because it was unlocked that they are not responsible, then they are essentially liable to prosecution and investigation by Oftel.

Edited by dragpyre

Guest irishpancake

SIM unlocking, whether by flashing of a chip inside the phone or the entering of a code, is a perfectly legal practice in the United Kingdom and does not void any warranties. If a network argued that because it was unlocked that they are not responsible, then they are essentially liable to prosecution and investigation by Oftel.

Sure I never said Network or SIM unlocking is illegal....that would just be stupid.

But. it could be dangerous.....ppl who provide these codes warn of this!!

when using codes from eBay and wherever, also, disclosing your devices IMEI number is problematic, don't you agree??

But Network/SIM unlock was just one point I made, and fairly minor one, which you misinterpreted and then quoted the law to bolster your point which was misunderstood by you.....

you really do need to chill and relax.

Guest dragpyre

Sure I never said Network or SIM unlocking is illegal....that would just be stupid.

But. it could be dangerous.....ppl who provide these codes warn of this!!

when using codes from eBay and wherever, also, disclosing your devices IMEI number is problematic, don't you agree??

But Network/SIM unlock was just one point I made, and fairly minor one, which you misinterpreted and then quoted the law to bolster your point which was misunderstood by you.....

you really do need to chill and relax.

I am perfectly calm, I just merely misconstrued what you had stated.

Yes, disclosing your IMEI can pose risks, but then again, when you access the Google Play store for the first time, Google takes your device name and IMEI. You can view the information they have on you in relation to your google account(s) @ http://www.google.com/dashboard

Edited by dragpyre

Guest tcpaulh

Moneysavingexpert would disagree

But what about my warranty?

While it's not illegal, unlocking your phone WILL invalidate its warranty in most cases.

Warranties can be voided by the failure to adhere to terms agreed to at the time the contract was made. This does not, however affect statutory rights.

Guest irishpancake

I am perfectly calm, I just merely misconstrued what you had stated.

Yes, disclosing your IMEI can pose risks, but then again, when you access the Google Play store for the first time, Google takes your device name and IMEI. You can view the information they have on you in relation to your google account(s) @ http://www.google.com/dashboard

Yet again you digress and avoid issues which don't suit your argument.

Use LBE Privacy Guard to stop requests from apps for IMEI.....

make sure you side load, as getting from Market will get your IMEI, defeating the purpose!!!!

But, it is a bit far fetched to compare, in an exercise of whataboutery, collecting of IMEI by Google with the possible criminal cloning which can be the use for IMEI harvested in other ways by those less scrupulous than Google....and AFAIK, you sign up for this when you agree to T's & C's

Google use it for marketing and tracking apps to devices, and possibly for Google Voice calling, there probably are privacy issues, which can be protected by using LBE PG

Unless you actually think that Google are some International Criminal Conspiracy which invented Android as a way of collecting information from unsuspecting users :lol:

Guest dragpyre

collecting information from unsuspecting users :lol:

You just summed Google up to a tee.

Moneysavingexpert would disagree

Warranties can be voided by the failure to adhere to terms agreed to at the time the contract was made. This does not, however affect statutory rights.

Ok, unlocking by means of flashing the device will void its warranty, as you have modified the firmware.

Unlocking a device by means of a NUC, does not void warranty, as you have unlocked the phone the way it was designed to be unlocked.

Edited by dragpyre

Guest ahatomastarday

Ok, unlocking by means of flashing the device will void its warranty, as you have modified the firmware.

Unlocking a device by means of a NUC, does not void warranty, as you have unlocked the phone the way it was designed to be unlocked.

That's exactly right.

Guest irishpancake
snip snip.....

You just summed Google up to a tee.

Of course what I actually said was:

Unless you actually think that Google are some International Criminal Conspiracy which invented Android as a way of collecting information from unsuspecting users

Probably sums you up to a tee, given your one line paranoid response to a peripheral point made in my post, which you failed yet again to address any substantial argument with a counter argument....

Master debater are you??