Black screen during calls requiring reboot/SMS not showing

Guest nsmacd1

Guest nsmacd1

Since flashing the Chinese ICS ROM on my G300 (from the official page, following instructions in this forum) whenever I make or receive a call the screen goes black and 9/10 times will not respond during or after the call, requiring a battery pull.

I have enables the 'turn off call via power button' (which accounts for the 1/10 times I can get a response!) and have tried various apps to keep the screen on but have had no luck - After almost every call I need to take the battery out and start again.

I have tried the proximity sensor app (which just crashes when I press calibrate), 'Screen On', 'ZD Toolbox', and a few others but nothing seems to work. I have also run a couple of factory resets, cleared the cache (& Delvik cache) with no joy.

Also, when receiving a SMS message it will not show in the default app - I have installed the Handcent SMS app which is a nice workround for now, so I can actually see the incoming messages (outgoing will show)

Does anybody have any ideas on how to resolve these issues?

I have the phone rooted with CWM on Vodafone monthly contract.

Thanks in advance!

Guest runlevel5

yes,that's the one.just make sure you do the full wipes stipulated in the 1st post on Garys thread.as an afterthought, I reboot at least once a day on 927,keeps the rom nice and snappy.

all the best

Guest nsmacd1

All flashed etc and the SMS is now showing when received, but the black screen issue is still there whenever making or receiving a call (needs a battery pull every time now). HELP!!!!!

PS - I did all the wipes etc from the first post, removed all data from the SD card except music and image file (and the .zip) and I don't have any screen protector etc blocking the sensor!

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest runlevel5

Hi nsmacd1, I dont understand why you are still experiencing the black screen issue and having to do the battery pull. Maybe someone else will chime in and help you. If it was me, I would reflash the chinese rom via the update.app method (update.app in dload folder on root of sdcard, power off, power on holding both volume keys) to make sure nothing is/was corrupted on your initial upgrade to ICS but that is just a hunch. You could also try tillaz Infusion ROM, which is based on ICS baseband to see if that solves your issue.

Sorry I cannot help you further, as I said in my first reply, Garys CWM 927 worked for me.

Guest nsmacd1

Quiet day at work today so I'll give the Infusion ROM a go! - Thanks again - I've seen many people have this issue with many different handsets, but no-one seems to have found a definite fix yet

Update - Same issue with the Infusion ROM (and beta).. Back to the Chinese I go!

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest b4da55

I have realised that the majority of issues with the -g300 are when the phone has been moved. I have rooted but stuck to official gb and had no issues. My advice would be to leave it as it is until ics is officially out. However I wish you all the luck in fixing any problems you have. I maybe a warning thread should be sticked or something!!

Guest feckineejit

Yesterday i returned to atomicmod from infusion beta, and noticed this morning during a call that the screen stayed black after i took it away from my ear, had to push power button to bring it back on.

Guest nsmacd1

Just reflashed the Chinese ROM/ROOT/CWM etc and still have the same problem, so it doesn't look like any apps are affecting it, as none are installed yet!

EDIT - I have just installed Tillaz B934 update (via CWM) and still have these issues - I have run full wipes in CWM before the upgrade and have fresh run out of ideas.. Obviously there is some sort of setting/error in the phone somewhere but I can't think of what else to wipe etc before flashing to clear it - Any experts with ideas around???

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest nsmacd1

I was just wondering if the black screen problem could be due to a faulty proximity sensor?

Is there a way to disable it or any apps to test it? - The proximity sensor calibration app crashes as soon as I press 'Calibrate'

Also, I would just like to confirm where the sensor is - I am guessing that it is in the top left of the screen next to the Huawei logo

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest metal.mickey

same issue with my skate,

the factory rom was ok but every rom gave the black screen prob. I now use KEEP SCREEN app which keeps the screen alive when on a call.

you have to select the app you want to keep the screen on i.e the dialer but works fine for me. Oh and dont forget to start the keep screen app after you reboot the phone. It will automatically exclude itself from any app killers you run

MM

Guest nsmacd1

Thanks - Will give that one a go... I've tried 3 apps which claim to do the same but none have worked so far

Not sure what the service is though - The nearest I can find is voice dialler and 'Phone' & 'Phone messaging storage', neither which work

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest nsmacd1

Nope - doesn't work either - Thanks anyway! :)

As soon as I connect a call then the screen will go black and will need a battery pull, unless I select the 'Power button ends call', when i can see 'Screen locked by Keep screen' as soon as the call is disconnected (so I know that it the service is running)

This video shows the issue (It's not my phone, but I am experiencing the same problem)

[media=]

Edited by nsmacd1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nsmacd1

No solution yet that I've found, regardless of ICS ROM or 3rd party software - Maybe the official release will sort the issue (was fine on GB). Unless there was a dodgy batch of phones with sensor issues!

Guest accyuklad

we need to find out if many others have the issue because i dont want to upgrade and find out i got the problem

so i going to wait for more people to complain

sorry i think i dug up wrong thread. my problem is screen going back and then coming back after calls, on gingerbread. any way to fix this/calibrate sensor etc? thanks

Guest nsmacd1

Same problem. In GB worked fine. In spanish forum, some people fixed it removing the battery during 20 seconds but It didn't worked fot me.

Nor for me - Am thinking of reverting to original GB Voda ROM to see if the issue happens there, as all ICS ROMs I have tried (and I think I have tried the lot!) seem to give this problem

The screen will only come back on during calls if I press/rub the area over the sensor for approx 3 seconds, so it seems that the sensor works OK when turning the screen off, but not to turn it back on again

EDIT - Restored to original Voda ROM and still have (partly) the issue - The screen will come back on when pressing the power button though, making it usable

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest Shineali

Nor for me - Am thinking of reverting to original GB Voda ROM to see if the issue happens there, as all ICS ROMs I have tried (and I think I have tried the lot!) seem to give this problem

The screen will only come back on during calls if I press/rub the area over the sensor for approx 3 seconds, so it seems that the sensor works OK when turning the screen off, but not to turn it back on again

EDIT - Restored to original Voda ROM and still have (partly) the issue - The screen will come back on when pressing the power button though, making it usable

I had GB Yoigo Rom, a spanish provider and remember that worked fine. Don't know what im gonna do, will wait to other custom rom.

I've got the same problem, Screen turns black so soon as i make a call an won't come up until i press power on to end call. Problem persists no matter which rom is installed. Worked ok with factory rom but since the update to ICS its nopch working as intended.