Trading Skate

Guest David.Andzy

Guest David.Andzy

I have Skate and it's amazing android phone. But as I am demanding smartphone user I just hate that Skate is armv6 phone, because there are amazing armv7 apps and games... And it annoys me that every time I find some cool app or game in 80% cases it shows me incompatibility... So I wanted to exchange Skate for some better phone and I wanted to buy HTC Desire but I find a lot of broken (error during flashing), and because I flashing probably I would break mine. Only better phone than Skate that rings my bell is Galaxy S, and I need to sell Skate, add 40-50 euros and buy it, but I don't have that amount of money right now. But...i can exchange Skate for iPhone 3g and don pay any additional money. I had iPod 2gen and i must say apps and games are awesome. I have never played that good and not laggy games on Skate. But don't know if the same for iPhone 3g. Personaly it has sh**y user interface and I love android and it's homescreens... But we all know that its app store has some great apps and games and most of them will work perfectly, not laggy etc...

I just want to ask dear users that tell me if it is smart do trade Skate for iPhone 3g? I love 4,3" display and Skate is really good phone but let's face it, iOS has better apps and games. And I don't won't to have phone that it's only great looking or it's has large screen, if I can have better and more useable phone. So...should I trade or not? I have created pool so fell free to write and vote :).

Guest Josh92

with n00b. Definitely not an iPhone, especially 3G, that's really getting on a bit now. I think you'd regret it, I don't think Apple even support it anymore?

Guest scuzzbucket

Not for a 3G. You would be getting an old device lacking many new iOS features. It would be comparable (in Android terms for features) to downgrading to 1.6.

Guest timoti111

I hate armv6 CPU on skate too. I have iPod touch 2g and I can say it is really really slow. It is confirmed that iphone 3g is slower then ipod touch 2g so i think skate is much more better and faster. Normally i have 50mb of free ram and when i open safari it load for an example Redmondpie.com on 80% and then crashes because of low ram. Much of best appstore apps arent working because of armv6 CPU. Do you know what am I ipod using for?

1. My earphones that i bought for 60€ arent compatible with Skate so i can hear only left channel or when I press middle button on earphones i can hear normal. (my finger is dying when i have pressed that button for long time)

2. There is Grooveshark and Grooveshark Enhancer in Cydia which is unlimited trial for Grooveshark. For android there is Grooveshark but not with unlimited trial and i have no money for paying that

3. For charging that shitty battery in it :D

Edited by timoti111

Guest fuddman

Really, really wouldn't recommend going to an iPhone 3G, they are the reason both myself and the wife traded in for a Skate in the first place!

When I first got the iPhone it was great (first smart phone) everything worked brilliantly, was fast, easy to use, all of the apps on the store worked flawlessly.

But then ios4 came along and ruined everything! After upgrading the whole system turned into a sluggish mess, it was no longer fast, no longer smooth, no longer user intuitive, not just the system but the apps didn't run as well themselves as the system was taking up too much resources.

You can downgrade back down to ios 3 but then even more apps will be incompatible.

After a while I started noticing apps on the store only supporting 3GS and above, even really seemingly basic apps.

Also you can't multitask with the 3G so every time i had to load up an app from scratch (which took a while sometimes!)

If I was going to trade in my Skate for an iPhone now it would have to be at least an iPhone 3GS but even these are slowly being phased out, ios5 has made the 3GS a lot slower now too (witnessed by my brother who has one).

So I know there are certain apps that we can't install due to the ARM6 thing, but you'll find far more incompatibility with the iPhone 3G!

Guest hugobosslives

lol did you think people on a android mod forum (read: people who love modding android) would say go to a locked down mOS?

if you asked the same question in a apple forum you would get the complete opposite answer. its down to personal preference. the 3g is still pretty slick in the os due to apples optimization however be advised it cannot stand up against games designed for the 4s.

Guest little pea

i woudnt even sell my skate i would keep it as a back up it a proper good phone to use and its easy to root and rom it :-)

i would save up instead and get the g300 for £100 or save abit longer and get the sony experia u at £150 and its a dual core

Guest plegdroid
All this maybe true but ya must admit tha the games on them ipods n iphones are good

it would be easier for a dev to make a game for a single os and commercially more sound, as the prices are more on ios than android. so better games get developed for it. :)

Guest oscar-mark

Well I would never ever change my Skate for a 3G I would rather brick it.

ok maybe for my brother's sake, gaming ain't the best part of Android especially free.

Guest omegavesko

I picked 3G because it's such a silly question. That phone is possibly even more outdated than our Skate. Please do get it.

The 3G isn't much less outdated, to be fair.

Guest Redstarr1

Not much less, I agree. The gpu is probably more powerful, but the cpu is running at 412 MHz, half of the Skate (probably an ARMv7 though, for whatever good that does). The memory is 128 MB, a quarter of the Skate. I know you can't compare across platforms, but for its platform it's woefully outdated as well. The thread starter wants to play games, but all the good new games only work on iOS 5 devices and up, so beginning from the 3GS, and best on an iPhone 4 or better. It's a bit silly to buy an iPhone to be able to get more apps, but then pick a model that's excluded from a lot of those apps. Getting an iPhone 3G is like getting a T-Mobile G1. You know that that's not an upgrade for our phones.

If you want an Apple and you want it to be an upgrade compared to this phone, you've got to have some cash and get at least an iPhone 4. That's objectively speaking because I wouldn't consider ever getting an Apple product at all (except for a MBP).

EDIT: Oh iPhone 3G is also armv6, not armv7. So you have the same incompatibility issues the Skate has.

Edited by Redstarr1