Touchnote is free until 31st August

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Touchnote, a smart little application that turns your photos into real world postcards, is now FREE to use until the 31st August, courtesy of Samsung and their Olympic sponsorship!

Touchnote has been on my radar for a long time as a 'ooh, I must try that out' application. As I was on holiday last week I figured it would be a great time to give it a go and I was very pleasantly surprised to learn when I opened the app that all postcards are currently free! :)

Using the application couldn't be easier. You simply select a photo from your device, arrange it as you would like to see it on the postcard, choose a recipient / address (this could be manually entered, from your contacts or from Facebook), input a message (up to 220 characters) and then it's ready to send.

I sent a few while I was away (including one to myself for testing purposes) and I am very impressed. The printing is very high quality (300dpi) on nice thick card (4.5" x 6" glossy) and the delivery (from Guernsey to the UK) only took a few days.

Postcards can be sent to anywhere in the world and normally cost $/£/€ 1.49 (reduced price bundles of credits are available).

To try out the service, head on over to the Google Play Store to install the application (web, iPhone and iPad versions are also available).

All that said, the service isn't perfect. On a couple of occasions I prepared a card and sent it on a slightly flaky connection and although it appeared to send OK, it never appeared in my 'Postbox' (a software update since does claim to have fixed some Postbox issues however). I would have liked the ability to send to 'Bill and Ben' for example rather than being forced into a First Name / Surname, although this is a minor issue. Finally, I found the 220 character limitation a bit unnecessary. On my test postcard I found the text overly large - I'm a fan of trying to cram quite a lot on a postcard and it'd be great to be able to replicate this in Touchnote (maybe previewing the back of the card as the user types).

None of these points are enough to put me off however and I have no doubt i'll continue using the service when it stops being free. Thank you Samsung for giving us the chance to try it out. :)

Click here to view the item

Guest PlaneMan

Been using this for free postcards for a few weeks, generally they are very good quality prints. They also dispatch from Europe so if you have people abroad you can still send them free.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.