Launcher for G300

Guest Hoggonator

Guest Hoggonator

Is there a general consensus of opinion around the best launcher to use on the G300? I am running stock 892 and the GO launcher but there seems to be a load out there and I was wondering if there was a preferred one and if so why do people like it?

Guest aceshigh

Theres loads out there. I'm using Espier launcher as this is my first android device and I've come from an iphone so the iphone look and feel makes it familiar for me.

Is there a general consensus of opinion around the best launcher to use on the G300? I am running stock 892 and the GO launcher but there seems to be a load out there and I was wondering if there was a preferred one and if so why do people like it?

If you update to 4.0.x I would suggest running apex, as it is one of the best out there for the ICS

If you are on GB I would say GO launcher because it gives you a lot of options such as ICS themes, contact widgets etc. If on ICS then Nova launcher seems best, I used Apex for ages but Nova is just that bit snappier and taken the launcher of choice award from Apex.

Edited by Cyda

Guest FrankieADZ

If you're on Gingerbread, I vote for Holo Launcher. Apex if you'e on ICS.

I'd pretty much agree also on Gingerbread...LauncherPro is very good.

Guest irishpancake

I'd pretty much agree also on Gingerbread...LauncherPro is very good.

+1 for good olde LPP.....

the trailblazer. ... just on GB mind, support non existent but also, not needed, as it has all you need, and more!!

Edited by irishpancake

Guest Hoggonator

Thanks all - as per my original post I am on stock 892 and I will not go to a custom rom until official ICS comes out via OTA and then the custom mods have been bedded in for a while.

Why do you like your launchers though? Just because you do, that was the first one you settled on or other reasons?

Why do you like your launchers though? Just because you do, that was the first one you settled on or other reasons?

The number one rule for me is performance - it must be fast. Once speed is accounted for then features and eye candy come next.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

I use Launcher Pro as well. On my Blade I always found it to be smoother and snappier than the half a dozen other options I tried. I've not tried any others (apart from the default Huawei one) since upgrading to the G300, though, so don't know whether the difference would be as pronounced with a higher-specced device. I like the various transition effects on offer (although I tend to favour the somewhat traditional horizontal slide between screens). I also find the dragging of icons intuitive. I forget what the actual issues were, but I didn't like the implementation of moving icons about the screen in some of them. I find LP's option to re-size widgets handy too, so my Google search widget doesn't stretch the full width of the screen. This function may be free in other launchers.

As I say, though, I have not tried other launchers since I got my G300 in April because I am familiar with LP (so can achieve changes swiftly); they may well have developed useful features since then. Have never tried Holo launcher so can't possibly compare.

This thread has encouraged me to experiment with some alternatives over the weekend. I'll try and feed back if I remember/get the time.

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

I started with Go but found it slow so looked for performance. Launcher Pro is by far the fastest on gingerbread, and has all the configuration I want. Using holo now and that's good too.

Guest TangerineTractor

Nova is fastest and smoothest for me on ics.

the key functionality for me is minimalism... I don't want a dock or multiple screens, and I want to be able to hide unwanted apps from the drawer.

Guest psionandy

I've been using ADW launcher, as i haven't gone to ICS yet) its not as pretty as go launcher, but very fast and so far seems to be a lot more stable.....

Edited by psionandy

Guest Malthus

I think for Gingerbread your best options are basically just GO and Holo. I prefer GO because I feel it has a better feature set and is generally the more mature of the two, but there's no denying it's pretty bloated and tries to hawk it's own widgets, themes, plugins, etc. to you. If you want something more minimalistic/lightweight then maybe Holo is better suited. I've yet to try ICS.

Guest maritimesbob

I used to like Launcher Pro, still do. Always been the slickest of the main launchers out there. I find Go Launcher too bloated and a little sluggish as a result, but each to their own.

Just tried a couple of the newer ones, I like Nova but how do you install an icon pack and are they available on the market?