67yr old suffering brain overload!!

Guest ken238

Guest ken238

Hi Guys,

Here's hoping someone can help me. Could someone please provide me with a simple step by step guide to unlocking a T Mobile Vivacity, that I have bought for my wife. I've read the forum and am now overloaded with information.

I have a Orange SF1 which I unlocked and installed a custom ROM using a simple guide from this forum, so I am not (quite) yet a geriatric. I have yet to find anything quite so clear on the Vivacity.

I am undecided about a custom rom. I read somewhere that without due care and attention the capacitive buttons on the Vivacity might become unworkable.

I would be really grateful for any suitable guidance.

Cheers,

Ken

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Hey Ken and welcome to the forums.

Visit this thread- http://www.modaco.co...d-now-complete/

Some of the files may not be available so you'll have to go for a bit of a search through the Crescent forums until you find the reuploaded files. It shouldn't take too long, if you haven't found them by the time I get home tonight I'll link you to them.

The capacitive buttons work on most roms even if it does require a bit of a fiddle but it's worth it. I'd recommend Fish 'N' Chips or the de-bloated stock ROM if you just want to unlock the device and get a few new features.

I hope this helps,

good luck!

edit-

This may help too

http://www.modaco.com/topic/354138-unlock-vivacityzip/#entry1954426

Edited by CurtisAndroidSF2

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

You really need to get clockwork mod recovery in, once that's done you can take your pick of the roms.

Have a careful read of what does and doesn't work in each and tailor that to what you want/need from the phone. The cyanogenmod ones are all missing the front camera so if that's something you need from it then leave them.

Also make sure you get the correct kernel from any of the posts. Some have multiple kernels even for the same model of phone because of differing hardware in some of the phone from others. (That's just down to ZTE getting different quotes/prices from different suppliers so they switch in mid manufacture).

There's a way to check what is in your phone (which I can't remember at the moment), hopefully someone will point you to that?

Guest ken238

CurtisAndroidSF2 and PsYcHoKiLLa,

Thank you both for your helpful advice. The procedure is becoming clearer but a few questions remain.

Is there any way to backup my existing ROM prior to unlocking? Or do I even need to do so?

CurtisAndroidSF2, you pointed me to this link - http://www.modaco.co...p/#entry1954426 , I am not clear exactly what I am meant to do with it. Is it the unlock procedure complete or just part of the procedure?

PsYcHoKiLLa, you drew my attention to clockwork mod recovery. At what stage can I /do I install it? You also mentioned the importance of using the correct kernel. I am hoping some kind soul will explain how to check my hardware so that I download the correct kernel.

Thank you for your kind patience.

Cheers

Ken

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

I don't own a Vivacity so I didn't have to mess around with flashing kernels so I'm afraid I can't help. The Windows 7 64 bit problem was just drivers being irritating, the problem fixed itself for me and the drivers installed eventually.

The link I gave you was for the Vivacity unlock files that Bouncer kindly reuploaded when a few people asked him.

Good luck

Guest ken238

Thanks guys for your kind help and assistance.

TMV now unlocked and all is working well with a stock ROM.

Today will make an 'attempt' at installing a modified ROM.

Cheers

Ken

Guest ken238

Forgot to mention. I got into all sorts of bother trying to unlock the TMV using my laptop running Vista. I ended up using my desktop PC running Win7 64bit and the procedure went really straightforward with no hiccups.

Ken

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Good to know. I'd recommend you to flash Fish N Chips, mainly because everything is working on it so it's identical to the stock rom but rooted and themed with some other things on it. Alternatively, if you don't care about the front camera then check out the Cyanogenmod 7 and 9- CM10 is brand new to the Crescent so it's still under development so i'd stay away from it for the time being.