Photo

[KERNEL][Omegamoon][B926+][ICS]Overclock to max 1.3GHz (Updated 2012/08/24)

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

omegamoon

omegamoon

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

This kernel breaks camera for me in infusion. Where is genokolar kernel?

I hope you haven't switched yet... could you provide me a dmesg log right after you did a reboot? I just want to check what camera sensor your device has.

Potatoes

Potatoes

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

I commented the higher frequencies out since the device becomes unstable or doesn't even boot. I could add smaller steps to see what the ultimate stable value is. I'll try that later

Ooh glad your here omega so I can pick your brain :P adding new frequencies I figured you just divide the frequency by 8 to get the AHB-KHz value so like 1210000 would be 151250 and so on. But your comment

{ 1, 1280000,    ACPU_PLL_4,  6,  0, 160000,   3,  7, 200000 }, // PLL4 max of 66.7MHz

made me think whether there's a link between the cpu frequency and frequencies around the rest of the phone like in old school overclocking where overclocking the cpu would also overclock say the pci until you hit certain dividers. So I didn't add any new ones for myself on the safe side.

Also, do you know whether the voltage table here works? Reducing them did seem to make my phone unstable so I think they probably don't but I have no idea for sure.

Posted Image

omegamoon

omegamoon

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

If you read back a good few posts you will see different cameras have been used on the same phone . ZTE also used different parts.

Currently there are two camera sensors supported, since only those two are spotted in the wild. I can add support for additional sensors of course. Just don't tell me you've got a Hasselblad H5D sensor :D

omegamoon

omegamoon

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Those sdcard card scores are nice :D is that using the VR scheduler? On the subject of that, whenever you next update github can you chuck in the cpu and io schedulers. I've managed to add them myself but for the life of me can't get VR compiling, always bombs out with

CC	  block/vr-iosched.o
block/vr-iosched.c:417: error: unknown field 'elevator_queue_empty_fn' specified in initializer
block/vr-iosched.c:417: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
error, forbidden warning: vr-iosched.c:417
make[1]: *** [block/vr-iosched.o] Error 1
make: *** [block] Error 2

But no rush :)

Sure, I will add them later

timfimjim

timfimjim

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend g300, Nexus 7

You're right, the proposed size is too high. I'm looking into this "short write" problem. Don't know why it occurs, it sometimes does. After that I have to reboot to give it another try.

Well on my nexus 7 I've dabbled in zRAM and it would seem 128mb is approaching optimum so maybe it's not too high. But seeing as though the N7 has double the RAM do you think it might be good to try 64mb of zRAM on the g300? I'd try it but I always just get the same short write error. Might try again today though.

Currently there are two camera sensors supported, since only those two are spotted in the wild. I can add support for additional sensors of course. Just don't tell me you've got a Hasselblad H5D sensor :D

haha!!

omegamoon

omegamoon

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Ooh glad your here omega so I can pick your brain :P adding new frequencies I figured you just divide the frequency by 8 to get the AHB-KHz value so like 1210000 would be 151250 and so on. But your comment

{ 1, 1280000,	ACPU_PLL_4,  6,  0, 160000,   3,  7, 200000 }, // PLL4 max of 66.7MHz

made me think whether there's a link between the cpu frequency and frequencies around the rest of the phone like in old school overclocking where overclocking the cpu would also overclock say the pci until you hit certain dividers. So I didn't add any new ones for myself on the safe side.

Also, do you know whether the voltage table here works? Reducing them did seem to make my phone unstable so I think they probably don't but I have no idea for sure.

that's right, dividing the frequency by 8 will get you the AHB-KHz value. I searched for specs and found the PLL4 max of 66.7MHz mentioned somewhere. I tried and that seems indeed to be the case. If you look a bit further down in the code, you'll find that I change the PLL4 speed if going over 1GHz by dividing the frequency by 19200
// Change the speed of PLL4
writel(hunt_s->a11clk_khz/19200,PLL4_L_VAL);
If you divide 1280000 though 19200 this will give you the PLL4 frequency of exactly 66.667MHz. My guess is that this is the max according to the books. Going any higher you will have to see for yourself if the device remains stable or not. There is a relation between the CPU frequency and other parts, for instance the GPU, as mentioned before. I didn't touch the voltage table because, as you found out yourself, it makes the device very unstable. It could work though, if you have enough patience tweaking it ;)

Potatoes

Potatoes

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

that's right, dividing the frequency by 8 will get you the AHB-KHz value. I searched for specs and found the PLL4 max of 66.7MHz mentioned somewhere. I tried and that seems indeed to be the case. If you look a bit further down in the code, you'll find that I change the PLL4 speed if going over 1GHz by dividing the frequency by 19200

// Change the speed of PLL4
writel(hunt_s->a11clk_khz/19200,PLL4_L_VAL);
If you divide 1280000 though 19200 this will give you the PLL4 frequency of exactly 66.667MHz. My guess is that this is the max according to the books. Going any higher you will have to see for yourself if the device remains stable or not. There is a relation between the CPU frequency and other parts, for instance the GPU, as mentioned before.

Ahh I see, thanks for the explanation, that's awesome.

I didn't touch the voltage table because, as you found out yourself, it makes the device very unstable. It could work though, if you have enough patience tweaking it ;)

That's the thing, I ended up compiling quite a few kernels reducing the value in the table a notch and it didn't seem to have any effect of stability. So I tested one build where I changed all the values to "1" expecting the phone to just fail on boot, but it didn't so I not sure whether the voltages are taken from the table. Wished there was some way to measure voltage.

Posted Image

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
  • Devices:Crescent, G300, Y300, Nexus 5
  • Twitter:@Dazzozo

During the AnTuTu tests I did yesterday I witnessed the same wifi toggle freeze a few times. Too bad that every time this happened I didn't have the device connected to my pc, so I still don't have a debug log :(

I don't understand how they can apparently compile the same source without this issue.

Like my work? Give me rep!

Like my work a lot? Donate! Remember to leave your forum name if you want to be credited!

Colossae3.23

Colossae3.23

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Devices:Nokia Lumia 720

Could you try running a AnTuTu benchmark at 1.325? If I do that it reboots at the 3d performance test. I use 122 as min freq and I don't see any problems waking up the device

Tried it @ 1.325 and 1st time it froze and only a battery pull brought it back, then tried @ 1.3 & 1.311 and got 3569 & 3672 respectively. Then tried full wack again and it rebooted just where you said.

Re: the slow wake. It came to life OK, but I thought touch response was sluggish for 20-30 seconds. I've gone back to 122 and I'll try it again for whole day.

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
antutu ran fine for me at Max. Got around 3500 on B936 with cheap SD card. Had a reboot when I went on opera to post this though so running one step down from Max and its very fast phone now

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300

omegamoon

omegamoon

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1331610
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1288015

Anthing of any use there or in his github?

I'm afraid not. Different CPU to start off with. I won't say voltage control cannot be done, but I tried to follow how this is controlled and I'm not sure I understand it correctly, so for now it's not my cup of tea ;)

Aurimas L.

Aurimas L.

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade, Huawei G300
NZ Vodafone B936 @1300Mhz

Attached Files

ZTE Blade with Swedish Snow RLS7 (Android 2.3.5) @ 691Mhz
Huawei Ascend G300 with CM10 @ 1228Mhz

timfimjim

timfimjim

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend g300, Nexus 7
Does the boot img have init.d support?

Potatoes

Potatoes

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
Omega's doesn't yet

Posted Image

popoyaya

popoyaya

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade V, Galaxy S3

Does the boot img have init.d support?

What would you be using init.d for?

Potatoes

Potatoes

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

What would you be using init.d for?

He could use it to setup the zram or maybe to adjust sdcard cache. Anything that requires to be started at boot really

Posted Image

omegamoon

omegamoon

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
I'll add init.d support. I'm currently testing some IO adjustments as well, some of which are commonly known in init.d scripts, like sdcard readahead sizing for instance. Works quite well, for what it's worth, benchmarks are getting higher ;)

LucabossY

LucabossY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:G300
Kernel is alive?

omegamoon

omegamoon

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
Oh yeah, it's still alive :) I'm currently in the process of bringing it to a higher version level. A hell of a job I can assure you! :wacko:
I added init.d support, and made it MIUI compatible. Tried it with latest MIUI v2.9.14 but didn't like it so went back to stock ICS for the time being.

Edited by omegamoon, 19 September 2012 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users