Cut your insurance premiums with an Android app

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

UK insurer Aviva is offering customers the opportunity to cut their car insurance premiums by running an Android application which analyses the quality of their driving.

Called 'RateMyDrive', the application for Android 2.3 phones and up monitor a user's driving behaviour over a distance of 200 miles, benchmarking acceleration, braking and cornering forces. This data is then used to build a driver profile which, when shared with Aviva, allows them to calculate insurance premiums based on your own driving style. Badges can also be earned for good habits as you drive.

The actual amount a customer could save depends on how much they are paying - drivers with premiums between £200 and £400 could earn discounts of up to 10% and those with premiums over £400 could benefit from discounts of up to 20%. Drivers with premiums under £200 are not be eligible for the discount

The RateMyDrive application is moving from an internal testing phase to being available for testing by the general public and in return for providing your feedback, you could win one of five new iPads. Somewhat ironic when the application is currently only available to Android users (although an iPhone version is to follow)?

Head on over to http://www.aviva.co.uk/ratemydrive to learn more and let us know how you get on!

rmd.png

Click here to view the item

Guest 3shirts

Seems flawed. Surely you could just drive carefully, smoothly and slowly while this is running, get your cheap premium then go back to your bat-out-of-hell ways.

At least those black box type insurance policies fit it to the car for the whole duration of your policy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cisco Kid

after being rear-ended by an aviva customer, i tried to get back the money from getting myself back on the road. 5 complaints later in a year there was still no reply back so I had to take them to the FSA. only then did i get an acknowledgment/investigation done.

so this is not for me but i did request this via them years prior when it was in infancy stage for the blackbox thingymabob. i never did hear back from them at that stage when i was a long serving customer originally with NU.

shame really.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.