No need to sim unlock?

Guest samjam

Guest samjam

was it locked before you flashed B926 onto it?

I don't know :-)

I bought it from tesco, marked vodaphone and with a vodaphone sim - I never put the sim in it.

I upgraded first and then ready to unlock, paid my 4.99 for an unlock credit and then found it worked anyway!

Guest FrankieADZ

I bought it from tesco, marked vodaphone and with a vodaphone sim - I never put the sim in it.

I upgraded first and then ready to unlock, paid my 4.99 for an unlock credit and then found it worked anyway!

well its been know that a few are unlock...which are on contract have seemingly slipped thru the net.

Personally I wouldnt say B927 defo unlock the sim unless you'd tried it before you update it.

Guest MickJack

Same here, from voda, paid for unlock on eBay, put sim in and confused myself for a while expecting a prompt for the unlock code that never came, convinced I was doing something wrong, thing was unlocked out of the box !!

Guest FrankieADZ

same here as well. cant boot load though to start the upgrading :(

if you've upgraded to ICS you have to use the UnlockBootloader.exe to unlock the bootloader, as in ICS update the bootloader is locked and you can just flash CMW on like you did with Gingerbread

I bought mine from tesco as well, installed the B926, B927, B934 and recently the B934 Infusion, and had to unlock it by getting the unlock code from ebay. You were just lucky enough to get an unlocked phone,

EDIT: ANd yes I unlocked it only after installing the last ROM.

Edited by alwyn

Guest dantoe12

if you've upgraded to ICS you have to use the UnlockBootloader.exe to unlock the bootloader, as in ICS update the bootloader is locked and you can just flash CMW on like you did with Gingerbread

i cant install ICS without boot loading lol :(

Guest WackoJackoUK

Not sure if there is a connection but my OH has one which was locked which came from Tesco Direct (Stock 885). My mum wanted a basic smart phone and as Tesco have their double up promo she got it instore for £50 (she is on T-Mobile).- This has stock 882 I think.

Anyway I told her to check it was unlocked by putting her \T-mobile sim in and it was unlocked and worked straight away.

Could it be that Store ones are Unlocked but others not?

Edited by WackoJackoUK

Guest samjam

Not sure if there is a connection but my OH has one which was locked which came from Tesco Direct (Stock 885). My mum wanted a basic smart phone and as Tesco have their double up promo she got it instore for £50 (she is on T-Mobile).- This has stock 882 I think.

Anyway I told her to check it was unlocked by putting her \T-mobile sim in and it was unlocked and worked straight away.

Could it be that Store ones are Unlocked but others not?

Tell us more about this double up promo... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2010/08/tesco-relaunches-double-up-clubcard-promotion

Edited by samjam

Guest WackoJackoUK

Clubcard Exchange Information Here:-

http://www.tesco.com...bigexchange.asp

In-Store Phone Exchange Information

http://www.tesco.com...hange_depts.asp

Obviously if you do it instore - check the phone is in stock first before exchanging your vouchers at the customer service desk (don't want to be stuck with £100 of vouchers).

You can also do it online for Tesco Direct too but again check stock first. I'd probably do it in-store if I had to again.

Edited by WackoJackoUK

Guest Fluoroscopic

Probably a stupid noob question:

Is there no way to unlock the phone just by installing another ROM?

My Samsung Galaxy S was locked (to Spanish "Yoigo") and I unlocked it just by installing a unlocked-unbranded stock ROM. No need for IMEI unlock. But well, It was 18 months ago and another manufacturer.

Still can someone answer if that is possible with this phone and if not, why not?

Thanks in advance :)

Guest Smiff2

it's locked at a lower level than the ROM

wackojacko, my vodaphone store one was unlocked and one from isme online was locked, so that backs up what you guessed..

Guest Fluoroscopic

well, that explains why installing a new ROM doesn't change it. Thank you.

(anyone knows what "lower level" that is and how it works? just curious).

After wasting an afternoon researching possibilities, I finally decided to buy an unlock code from ebay for 5 pounds (I'm not in the UK, so going to a Vodafone UK store is not an option), I guess I will have it unlocked by tomorrow :)

Guest irishpancake

Probably a stupid noob question:

Is there no way to unlock the phone just by installing another ROM?

My Samsung Galaxy S was locked (to Spanish "Yoigo") and I unlocked it just by installing a unlocked-unbranded stock ROM. No need for IMEI unlock. But well, It was 18 months ago and another manufacturer.

Still can someone answer if that is possible with this phone and if not, why not?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Fluoroscopic......your Galaxy S SIM unlock???

You sure it was not this App, from XDA's helroz ....not a Stock ROM, perhaps?? Maybe Rooted ROM??

Edited by irishpancake

Guest Fluoroscopic

Hi Fluoroscopic......your Galaxy S SIM unlock???

You sure it was not this App, from XDA's helroz ....not a Stock ROM, perhaps?? Maybe Rooted ROM??

Come to think of it, I think you're right, I have a faint memory of using this exact app :P

it was long ago, in technological terms, my memory works in dog years :P

Thanks for pointing it out :)

So in theory, could it then be possible, if someone finds out, to develop an app like this for the ascend g300? (I got this g300 for one of my sisters, have it unlocked through IMEI as of today, but I was considering getting another one for my other sis).

Guest irishpancake

Come to think of it, I think you're right, I have a faint memory of using this exact app :P

it was long ago, in technological terms, my memory works in dog years :P

Thanks for pointing it out :)

So in theory, could it then be possible, if someone finds out, to develop an app like this for the ascend g300? (I got this g300 for one of my sisters, have it unlocked through IMEI as of today, but I was considering getting another one for my other sis).

SIM/Network is so cheap on eBay it is hardly worth trying other methods... like I unlocked for under £5.00....

cheers on the App btw