Review?

Guest ayziaa

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

Lots of on-line reviews if you just Google:

zte acqua review

Some of them are preliminary, and those that mention Gingerbread are off a bit..it's ICS 4.0.4.

I happen to have the Medion version, which may be slightly different cosmetically and otherwise.

http://aldi.medion.com/md98911/be_nl/?refPage=medion

If you want to know anything specific that has not already been 'reviewed' other places, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Guest ayziaa

I did google reviews for aqua:rolleyes:. I found some reviews but nothing very good. At first I was looking for a feedback about camera, I found somes stuff after I started this post. People are saying it's not very good, colors are washed up and contrast is bad, some are saying that it's worse than blade's. What is your opinion about that?

Could you tell me your impressions about the screen and the casing ( is the front casing metal or plastic), how does it feel in hands and what's the overall quality?

Nothing more really, performances and the overall android experience will also change between 4.0 and 4.1.

Thx

Guest Yurbuh Tuggly

I am not a big camera user, so take what I say accordingly.

At best, it's a mediocre camera. Not the worst, and far from the best. Contrast, focus, and image clarity are iffy. Some minor adjustment possibilities, but I did not play with it much. Has a flash, has a front facing camera...for Video Messaging and presumably 'security' face recognition that will probably sometimes work. Both untested by me. The long and short of it is, the camera is fine for quick vacation snapshots of low to medium quality. You will not want to print any out for framing, and everybody will know it's a shot from a camera-phone. If a high quality camera is on your short list of requirements, this is not your phone.

The screen is fine..some say it balks at detecting touch, but I have not found this to be the case. It's shiny, not "Gorilla Glass" or anything fancy, hard to see in direct sunlight, and probably will scratch fairly easily. A good quality protection film is recommended if contact with anything but a soft pocket is a possibility.

Display and color/contrast are sharp enough. The auto-adjusting backlight (to current ambient lighting conditions) is a decent feature.

For the casing, apparently metal was very expensive during the design stage, because there is none. No chrome, no silky aluminum, nothing. All plastic. And available in any color front as long as it's black. The back is a silver-grey with an odd (but not unappealing) feel to it that is somewhere between plastic and rubber. It feels solid enough in the hand, fits comfortably (people with smallish hands may think it's a bit big, but they would for any phone with a 4 inch+ screen), and has enough weight to it so as not to feel too cheap. In fact, it's heavy enough to think that there MAY be some metal around on the case somewhere, but there is not.

I worry a little bit about taking off the back cover excessively...it seems like the little locking tabs may not last forever as the back is pryed off (not the easiest thing to do) and snapped back on.

Overall quality, I would say, is fit for a current phone that sells around the 179 Euro mark. It's not a Samsung Galaxy SuperDooper Plus, but it costs about 1/3 of a high end phone, so you have to expect some compromises.

Disclaimer: everything above based on the Medion version. The 'official' ZTE may be different.

Edited by Yurbuh Tuggly

Guest ayziaa

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions! I understand very well that it's a medion and zte or other rebranding might be different.

It's clear that it's a budget phone and if someone is looking for a high end quality device with good camera they should look into Samsung... The thing is, the only reason I'm looking into that phone is that it's running Windows Phone 7 and Jelly Bean for 180 euros. Because if I could do the same on an other device like the Huawei G300 ( which is cheaper than the aqua in france) or the Alcatel OT995 ( same price, 1.4 ghz processor, good camera, 4.3 inch, micro hdmi, and very good casing with metal frame) I would not esitate on second and take out the aqua out of my list. But I don't know if the G300 will get Jelly Bean and looking at the web, the Alcatel OT995 speaking of custom roms is pretty much a dead device.

Edited by ayziaa

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Avenger 2.0

The back cover is indeed not very solid. Kind of broke it already. Does anyone know a place to buy a replacement back cover?

Another problem, when I have bad reception and lose network connection for some time, the phone will not reconnect back to the network when reception is back. I have to reboot the phone (airplane mode toggle doesn't work) to restore network connection. Is kind of a deal-breaker for me. I hope a firmware or radio update will fix this problem in the future.

• 5 months later...
Guest echrome

hello everyone! im new here and i would like to review some of my thoughts about this phone.

i just bought this phone last week and had been no prob using it and satisfied with the camera(eventhough just 3mp) smoothness of changing apps or closing it and also the battery really makes me happy. it's can be used for a whole day for a medium user(occasionally internet,reading pdf etc) like me.

but recently i got some prob with the SD card unexpectedly removed? can anybody tell me what's the prob or experienced it b4?

i need to switch off then the sd card be automatically mounted again huu :(

No problem with my SD card.

My friends that have the same phone have no problem as well.

I'm using a Sundisk Ultra 16Gb class 10. Friends use Team and Kingston.

Guest echrome

wow class 10 SD card.. maybe i need to change my card, cause i only use it for temporary from my old phone.

how about the battery? mine if using the stock launcher and did not used much can last till almost 2 days