Going From B888 to ICS

Guest RussellS

Guest RussellS

Hi all, I've been on holiday for two weeks and I can't believe how this board has exploded in that time.

Anyway, I am still on the Huawei B888 rom (baseband 109808) and I want to update to ICS. I think I know what I need to do but I just wanted to check before I take the plunge and brick my phone.

As I see it I should first follow Cyda's post http://www.modaco.co...03-on-the-g300/ which, if I understand correctly, will get the phone onto the correct 2030 baseband. However, in that post it says "If you are coming straight from stock rom you will you will want to download all available OTA updates before doing this (which should take you to B892). These OTA updates fix a lot of things so you really want these before you move on". However, because I'm on the B888 rom it says there are no OTA updates available. Should I worry about this or not.

Then, once I've followed Cyda's post I can then follow Tillaz's post http://www.modaco.co...cs-403-b130812/ to install his infusion rom.

Is this all correct or are there any steps I've left out.

Sorry if this has been covered in the above posts but with one being 25 pages long andf the other 64 pages long it is very difficult to make sure you have the lastest and most correct information. I just want to make sure I've got it all straight in my head before going ahead.

Many thanks

Russell

Guest timfimjim

You've pretty much got it right there. Update to ICS (I would recommend b934 instead of b926 as its newer) the same way you did for b888, then using genokolars tool, root and unlock boot loader. Then install cwm and you can flash tillaz' infusion.

Guest RussellS

You've pretty much got it right there. Update to ICS (I would recommend b934 instead of b926 as its newer) the same way you did for b888, then using genokolars tool, root and unlock boot loader. Then install cwm and you can flash tillaz' infusion.

Good point, I'll use the B934. What about the OTA updates to B892 before going to ICS. Will it cause any problems if I don't do that.

Guest Rico_89

I moved on to ICS before B892 came out and I have had no problems with ICS, but there are more informed people that may have something else to add.

In regards to ICS, I would install B926 as Cyda's post described (don't install vendor app) (Nandroid Backup), then flash B934 in clockwork and then Flash Infusion. This should allow you take advantage of HSPA. 11 in B926 while having the latest roms installed. I had a full install of B934 and then downgraded via IMEI hack to B926 and one of the reasons I did this was so I could take advantage of HSPA. 11. http://www.modaco.co...age__hl__ hsdpa the other was that I was tired of the risk of zeroing my IMEI.

Guest RussellS

I moved on to ICS before B892 came out and I have had no problems with ICS, but there are more informed people that may have something else to add.

In regards to ICS, I would install B926 as Cyda's post described (don't install vendor app) (Nandroid Backup), then flash B934 in clockwork and then Flash Infusion. This should allow you take advantage of HSPA. 11 in B926 while having the latest roms installed. I had a full install of B934 and then downgraded via IMEI hack to B926 and one of the reasons I did this was so I could take advantage of HSPA. 11. http://www.modaco.co...age__hl__ hsdpa the other was that I was tired of the risk of zeroing my IMEI.

Thanks very much. That's good to know.

Guest timfimjim

Ah that's a good point, I apologise. Best to go use update.app to go to b926 as Rico said. But then I don't think there would be any point in installing 934 via cwm if you're going to go to infusion anyway. That would be a pointless step

Guest Rico_89

Ah that's a good point, I apologise. Best to go use update.app to go to b926 as Rico said. But then I don't think there would be any point in installing 934 via cwm if you're going to go to infusion anyway. That would be a pointless step

Well maybe not so pointless. Infusion is based on B934 and if you have your nandroid backups, of B926, then you can roll back when ever you want.

Guest save me

I'm confused & totally new to all this rooting, cwm stuff, the only thing I did was go from the original phone software to B888 & at that point there was no need for CWM, rooting and all the rest it was straightforward put the update file on the sd card etc so is there anyway to go from B888 to B934 but with the B926 HSPA:11 without rooting and CWM etc by just updating the update.app files..?

Guest Rico_89

I'm confused & totally new to all this rooting, cwm stuff, the only thing I did was go from the original phone software to B888 & at that point there was no need for CWM, rooting and all the rest it was straightforward put the update file on the sd card etc so is there anyway to go from B888 to B934 but with the B926 HSPA:11 without rooting and CWM etc by just updating the update.app files..?

Basically, no. B926 is the only base that will allow you to connect at those speeds and by flashing other roms you maintain that ability But once you do a full install then you're back to your normal connection speds. Have a look at this thread: http://www.modaco.com/topic/356070-3g-uplink-slower-on-ics-b927-than-ics-b926/page__hl__%20hsdpa .

IMO I wouldn't get to worried about all that anyway, I mean I haven't even seen my connection go above HSPDA 9 so maybe my area or something.. who knows. It's just something to consider that's all.

Guest RussellS

Well, thanks for all the help.

I have now upgraded to ICS and all is good. I went to B926 first and then CWM to B934. I'm just contemplating whether to now try Infusion our not.

Guest save me

Basically, no. B926 is the only base that will allow you to connect at those speeds and by flashing other roms you maintain that ability But once you do a full install then you're back to your normal connection speds. Have a look at this thread: http://www.modaco.com/topic/356070-3g-uplink-slower-on-ics-b927-than-ics-b926/page__hl__%20hsdpa .

IMO I wouldn't get to worried about all that anyway, I mean I haven't even seen my connection go above HSPDA 9 so maybe my area or something.. who knows. It's just something to consider that's all.

Guest save me

I only went to B888 to fix the low volume so guess I'll stay on it for now it works for me everything else is too much hassle for a newbie and as the saying goes if it's not broke don't fix it

Guest Rico_89

lol, we would still be in the stone age if we all done that laugh.png

I totally agree!

Well, thanks for all the help.

I have now upgraded to ICS and all is good. I went to B926 first and then CWM to B934. I'm just contemplating whether to now try Infusion our not.

Nandroid back up your current rom, then try infusion. My only issue with infusion is the camera, but apart from that it is the best ICS experience I have had. And if you don't like it, then recovery your last backup.

Guest FrankieADZ

hi,

i am on b888 too and don't get the b892 ota update. anyone know why not??

because it hasnt been officially released anywhere outside China I think.