B888 Gr2 to ICS

Guest scott4534

Guest scott4534

I have a G300, unlocked and on Giffgaff. I installed CWM and upgraded to the B888 Gr2 ROM.

I'd now like to try ICS, but the step-by-step guide says

"If you are coming straight from stock rom you will you will want to download all available OTA updates before doing this (which should take you to B892). These OTA updates fix a lot of things so you really want these before you move on."

I can't get any OTA updates with my phone as it is (just says none available). So how do I get these updates?

Scott.

Guest ovecka

Just go directly to ICS if you want. I can't see why pre-flashing 892 should come as a prerequisity when the 926 or 927 are "official" as well.

Edited by ovecka

I can't see why pre-flashing 892 should come as a prerequisity when the 926 or 927 are "official" as well.

I don't know whether the soundfix and other fixes that are included with the OTA are all included with the b926 which is why I suggested to get them while you are on stock. You would expect b926 to contain all previous updates but as this is Huawei we can't take anything for granted. I know when I went from 885 straight to 926 I still had the battery wierdness happening (battery level display going both down and up, 40% > 52% > 45%). But when I downgraded back to 885, then got all the OTA updates and then went back to b926 the battery weirdness stopped. Others on here have also noticed the same thing (there is a thread here somewhere about it).

Take that info as you will.

Edited by Cyda

Guest scott4534

Thanks. So if I downgrade to 885 will I be able to get the OTA upgrades? Does it matter that I have a Giffgaff SIM?

What's the best way to downgrade? (I currently have CWM and B888).

Scott.

Yeah you will be able to get the OTA updates, they are done via wifi, I'm on giffgaff and it worked fine for me.

I used this downgrade method: https://docs.google....QHNo/edit?pli=1

And then flashed this stock ROM: http://www.modaco.co...ms-from-huawei/

Once this is done, enable wifi and there should be a few OTA updates which take you to b892. After this follow this guide to update to ICS and baseband 2030: http://www.modaco.co...03-on-the-g300/

If you take your time, read everything twice and follow all the steps carefully it is easy enough to do. Good luck.

Edited by Cyda

Guest Rico_89

I'd like to do that too, but I don't have an IMEI Gingerbread back up. I only rooted while under ICS so I'm kind of stuck, seeing that ICS IMEI back ups wont port over to GB. Hopefully the official ICS will have all of the updates released by Huawei. But honestly my ICS is running pretty good so I doubt I'd notice a difference.

I'd like to do that too, but I don't have an IMEI Gingerbread back up. I only rooted while under ICS so I'm kind of stuck, seeing that ICS IMEI back ups wont port over to GB. Hopefully the official ICS will have all of the updates released by Huawei. But honestly my ICS is running pretty good so I doubt I'd notice a difference.

I've only done the downgrade once and the imei backup I had was from ICS b926. Before updating to ICS I never knew about the ability to backup the imei so I never had a backup from when GB was installed.

It worked for me. :blink:

Edit: Thinking about it, you would only need to restore your imei once you were back on ICS. I can't see why you would need to restore it while on GB if you are only going to upgrade again anyway.

Edited by Cyda

Guest Rico_89

I've only done the downgrade once and the imei backup I had was from ICS b926. Before updating to ICS I never knew about the ability to backup the imei so I never had a backup from when GB was installed.

It worked for me. :blink:

Interesting hmm maybe I have it wrong and GB back ups wont work in ICS.. I have heard of a compatibility issue between the two but maybe I'll give it a go an see.

Thanks for the info..

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Rico_89

Edit: Thinking about it, you would only need to restore your imei once you were back on ICS. I can't see why you would need to restore it while on GB if you are only going to upgrade again anyway.

Of course doh.. well I've zeroed my IMEI about 4 times now so one more won't make difference .. arrg I hate doing it though lol.

Guest frazer19

Just going to butt in when you downgrade back to 885 and want to ota upgrade you will have to remove cwm as it will block any action happening.

Just going to butt in when you downgrade back to 885 and want to ota upgrade you will have to remove cwm as it will block any action happening.

When you downgrade, CWM is removed by the official update, as is your root access. You are back to complete stock and the OTA updates work fine. Trust me I've done it.

Guest bladebuddy

Also someone mentioned today that his wifi connection wasn't working and thought it might be down to zeroing his IME, you won't be able to do the ota updates via data without an IME I would think , but as I haven't tried I don't no for sure.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning. I personaly didn't do the ota updates or rather I did but it didn't sort my volume issues out. As soon as dload folder flashed a ICS rom my volume was fixed.

I personaly didn't do the ota updates or rather I did but it didn't sort my volume issues out. As soon as dload folder flashed a ICS rom my volume was fixed.

Good to know.

Guest Rico_89

Also someone mentioned today that his wifi connection wasn't working and thought it might be down to zeroing his IME..

That was me. :)

Yes for some reason when I downgraded to B882 my mac address kept changing every time I tried to connect to my wifi. It was really odd how it kept coughing up different addresses every time I pressed the save button after typing in the password. I'm pretty sure, maybe 80 percent, that had I of rooted and recovered my IMEI, I probably could have connected to my wifi, but I have heard that 5rom ICS back ups wont work on GB and I wasn't in the mood to see if that was true or not. So I just installed B926, then used my B934 nandroid backup and all was good.

Others have downgraded successfully but for me it didn't work. I might have another go but for now I'll leave it alone :) .

Guest cjcandrei

Hi,

If I have Atomicmod installed what would be the best procedure to update to Infusion? I have read that the best thing is to downgrade to B882 then to do all the OTA updates to B892 but seems I cannot downgrade because of the re-partition thing on the B888. I have a nandroid backup of B882. Would restoring the backup work?

Thanks.

Edited by cjcandrei

Guest RussellS

Hi,

If I have Atomicmod installed what would be the best procedure to update to Infusion? I have read that the best thing is to downgrade to B882 then to do all the OTA updates to B892 but seems I cannot downgrade because of the re-partition thing on the B888. I have a nandroid backup of B882. Would restoring the backup work?

Thanks.

Don't worry about downgrading. Just follow Cyda's post to update to B926 here http://www.modaco.co...03-on-the-g300/

After this you will be on the 2030 baseband and you can then use CWM to upgrade to infusion (or any other rom based on the same baseband).

I did this myself at the weekend and it is working great.

Guest cjcandrei

Thanks for answering. I know about the guide. Have you downgrade before going to ics or just upgraded to b892 and then to b926? I'm asking this because in some thread I saw someone who did all the ota updates and this way solved the battery fluctuation issue...

Guest RussellS
Thanks for answering. I know about the guide. Have you downgrade before going to ics or just upgraded to b892 and then to b926? I'm asking this because in some thread I saw someone who did all the ota updates and this way solved the battery fluctuation issue...

No, I just went straight to B926. As I understand it each software update contains all previous bug fixes. So by doing the update to B926 all the previous fixes should be applied as well.

Having said that I didn't have any battery fluctuation issues that I am aware of so I can't comment on that.

Guest cjcandrei

Ok thanks. By battery fluctuations I was referring to the problem of remaining battery percentage. When less than 50% sometimes goes down very quickly to say 25% when using the device intensively, just to come back to something above 25% when you stopped using it...

Thanks again

Guest Hogweed

B892 fixed the battery fluctuating problem for me. B892 came out after B926 and could possibly have later firmware fixes. But, in general, you would expect fixes from previous ROMs to be in the later ones.

Guest cjcandrei

B892 fixed the battery fluctuating problem for me. B892 came out after B926 and could possibly have later firmware fixes.  But, in general, you would expect fixes from previous ROMs to be in the later ones.

Great. Thanks.