new to advent vega/tablets

Guest bmarra

Guest bmarra

Hi i recently got a advent vega which came with honey ice already installed but i was thinking i would be better with vega cream, ive been reading up but i cant find out if im able to flash directly over it or if i need to do any thing else first honey ice seems fine but there a few things that don't work right for me like iplayer keeps rotating the screen in the wrong direction and hotmail app keeps crashing among other things, if anyone can give me any pointers and a link to a tutorial to flash that would be great, any help is appreciated cheers.

Guest Dave Marchant

It depends on what base ROM you started with to set the partition sizes. I am not sure if HoneyIce needed anything special, but VegaCream needs Modded Stock to alter the partitions sizes to suit. If you already did that for HoneyIce, you can go ahead and flash over the top.

Guest bmarra

thanks for the reply, I bought the tablet with honey ice already installed is there anyway of finding out or can i install modded stock and then Vegacream, thanks again.

Guest Dave Marchant

Yes, installing modded stock effectively wipes the device and sets the partition sizes. I am not sure whether the download links on the forum here are still working, so you may need to check through a few posts to find a copy.

Guest bmarra

Thanks Dave I will have a look round I have Vega Tools 4.1 and I think that has the modded stock so ill take a look there am I right in thinking im better using modded stock 2, thanks.

Guest comicbookguy

Almost all the ROMs since modded stock 2 use the same partitioning. I've been OK with over flashing VegaICS, VegaCream, VegaBean and VegaComb and HoneyIce. I still find Vegacomb 3.2 with the 3n update the best all around ROM for stability and usable space.

The Vflash ROMs (which install from windows instead of through ROM manager) will repartition as part of the install

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest bmarra

Almost all the ROMs since modded stock 2 use the same partitioning. I've been OK with over flashing VegaICS, VegaCream, VegaBean and VegaComb and HoneyIce. I still find Vegacomb 3.2 with the 3n update the best all around ROM for stability and usable space.

The Vflash ROMs (which install from windows instead of through ROM manager) will repartition as part of the install

Hi thanks for the reply, So if i use Vflash i wouldn't need to flash modded stock 2 first just use the installer and ill be fine?

Also would it be a good idea to install clockworkmod or is that something I dont need to worry about?

I think ill try Vegacream first then so how I go and ill goto Vegacomb if I have any problems then im sorry about all the questions but I just want to be sure before I do anything I have only ever messed with my Android phone before this, Thanks again for the help fella's its really appreciated.

Edited by bmarra

Guest Dave Marchant

Most of the devs include CWM in ROMs that use Vflash. I think you will find it there already. Sometimes there is a boot option to get into it and others use an app to force the tablet to reboot to CWM.

Guest comicbookguy

Yup

VegaComb is a step back from HoneyIce, but I do prefer it. Just make sure you flash the 3n mods too!

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest bmarra

Thanks for all the info fellas ive decided to stick with honey ice for a bit in the end after reading comicbookguy's last post and ive got some of the things working that was not working before and im finding it a lot better, thanks again no doubt when im used to using it ill be flashing it just for the sake of playing.

Guest bmarra

Yup

VegaComb is a step back from HoneyIce, but I do prefer it. Just make sure you flash the 3n mods too!

Hi, I decided to flash VegaCream in the the end I was having quite a bit of trouble using Honey Ice and im glad I did now but i cant find any info on the 3n mods is there any chance you could post a link or anything so I can take a look, thanks.

Guest swarrans

The 3n mods are only applicable to vegacomb so not to the rom you have loaded.

I am running vegacream but i found vega ics more stable and vegacomb even better (as far as i can remember!)

with vegacream i get lots of lock ups and cant view iplayer in full screen or log onto ebay.

It looks pretty but i think the latest roms are pushing the boundaries of the hardwares capabilties. At the end of the day al i want from my vega is a reliable browser and ability to watch iplayer nd other videos so i think i will downgrade and see if i get that reliability back

simon

I might have to retract the above as i have just downloaded vegabean and it does appear to work very well so far! IPlayer working in full screen and eBay with my log in details loaded fine!

Edited by swarrans

Guest bmarra

thanks for the reply mate to be honest i haven't had any lock ups, I can log into ebay but i cant use iplayer at all when ever i goto use the app it just redirects me to a browser can you tell me is there a certain apk i should be using? I may well gave ICS a go when ive played with this for a bit is there a way i can back everything up at once so I can try different roms, cheers.

Guest comicbookguy

Vega ICS and Vega Cream stopped development very early because of the short time between ICS and JB. I think all the devs from both are working on VegaBean at the moment. I'm going to try it later.

I've only just bothered sorting out Link2sd, which is probably a must for anything newer than Vegacomb. Getting the tab to see a second partition was a total PIA!

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest swarrans

Although Vegabean worked great on the first boot, unfortunately having shut it down I can't get it to boot again (backlight comes on and just hangs).

I'll use nvflash to put it on again and see if I have more luck but unless that works I think I will have to revert back to one of the early roms.

bmarra - back up with Titanium Root from the market. Adobe have stopped supporting Flash (after August 15 I think) so that is probably your problem. I can get it back because it is backed up by Titanium, but in your case you need the apk - it is available somewhere on here or Tabletroms so try a bit of searching

Cheers

Edit: I re-flashed with the nvflash version and VegaBean works fine now. Early days but it seems the fastest and most stable rom I've used so far - great work Scanno et al!

Simon

Edited by swarrans

Guest bmarra

Thanks for the reply, which version of the Iplayer apk is it im looking for I found 1.4 but im getting the same results with that, Ill get Titanium Root from the store and have a look at that too, cheers.