[MOD] [SCRIPT] Multiboot via loop file [19/12]

Guest Snap.IT

Guest elrond_bs

I believe I found the problem. For some reason option 2 in the script doesn't work correctly (despite saying "Everything worked" at the end) and skips creating system image from the ROM. I've done it 5 times, going carefully through option 1, then 2 with Swedish Snow and Micro7.

Here is the code from Terminal Emulator:

=================================================

Loop ROM converter by Snap.IT (www.modaco.com)

> Startup Menu:

1 - Make system, data or both loop files

2 - Make a loop ROM

3 - Make a loop package (such as gapps)

4 - Make (or update) NAND boot ima

Do you want to make an image file to hold the system for this ROM? (not neccessary if it's an upgrade from a previous ROM) Y for yes N for no.

y

What do you want to call your system image? (give it a name you'll remember, like cm-7-system for a cm-7 loop install)

ss-s

What size do you want your system image to be (in MB's)? (WARNING: if you make it too small your ROM +other packages like gapps might not fit, make it 250)

153600+0 records in

153600+0 records out

157286400 bytes transferred in 59.706 secs (2634348 bytes/sec)

Do you want to make an image file to hold the data for this ROM? (not neccessary if it's an upgrade from a previous ROM or you want to share a data image with another ROM) Y for yes N for no.

y

What do you want to call your data image? (give it a name you'll remember like cm-7-data for a cm-7 loopinstall)

ss-d

What size do you want your data image to be (in MB's)? (This file will h=================================================

> Startup Menu:

2 - Make a loop ROM

4 - Make (or update) NAND boot ima30000+0 records in

30000+0 records out

30720000 bytes transferred in 7.688 secs (3995837 bytes/sec)

Available ROMs:

(1) micro7.zip

(2) MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7.zip

Enter selection number (default=1, cancel=0, r=refresh): 2

unzipping your ROM

Saving base and cmdline of boot.img from current ROM (MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7) for future use

Extracting the boot.img of current ROM (MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7)

Page size: 2048 (0x00000800)

Kernel size: 3036980 (0x002e5734)

Ramdisk size: 194039 (0x0002f5f7)

Second size: 0 (0x00000000)

Board name:

Command line: androidboot.hardware=blade console=ttyMSM2,115200 g_android.product_id=0x1354

Writing boot.img-kernel ... complete.

Writing boot.img-ramdisk.gz ... complete.

626 blocks

You previously created the system loop file ss-s, do you want to use it for this ROM? (y/n)

You previously created the data loop file ss-d, do you want to use it for this ROM? (y/n)

y

Creating ramdisk cpio archive ...

Find compiled boot.img inside output folder as MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7boot.img

Now fixing your updater-script so you can install this ROM into your loop image

format("MTD", "system");

Do you want this installation to format the data image used with this ROM?

Answer Y for yes if it's a new installation and N for no if you are upgrading

and want to keep the data on the data image. (Say yes if you would run wipe

data/factory reset in recovery if this was a normal install)

y

The data image used with this ROM will be formatted during installation

All done, time to pack your ROM up again, it will be called MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7-loopinstall.zip and will be in /sdcard/multiboot/loop-roms/ss-s

The ss-s system loop file doesn't exist, without creating it before installation this ROM will fail to install

The ss-d data loop file doesn't exist, without creating it before installation this ROM will not boot

Everything worked, MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7 is ready for loop installation.

Happy multibooting :)

Snap.IT aka Jinxxed

Press Enter to continue

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest Snap.IT

I believe I found the problem. For some reason option 2 in the script doesn't work correctly (despite saying "Everything worked" at the end) and skips creating system image from the ROM. I've done it 5 times, going carefully through option 1, then 2.

Here is all code from Terminal Emulator:

> Startup Menu:

2 - Make a loop ROM

4 - Make (or update) NAND boot ima

Do you want to make an image file to hold the system for this ROM? (not neccessary if it's an upgrade from a previous ROM) Y for yes N for no.

y

What do you want to call your system image? (give it a name you'll remember, like cm-7-system for a cm-7 loop install)

ss-s

What size do you want your system image to be (in MB's)? (WARNING: if you make it too small your ROM +other packages like gapps might not fit, make it 250)

153600+0 records in

153600+0 records out

157286400 bytes transferred in 59.706 secs (2634348 bytes/sec)

Do you want to make an image file to hold the data for this ROM? (not neccessary if it's an upgrade from a previous ROM or you want to share a data image with another ROM) Y for yes N for no.

y

What do you want to call your data image? (give it a name you'll remember like cm-7-data for a cm-7 loopinstall)

ss-d

What size do you want your data image to be (in MB's)? (This file will h=================================================

> Startup Menu:

2 - Make a loop ROM

4 - Make (or update) NAND boot ima30000+0 records in

30000+0 records out

30720000 bytes transferred in 7.688 secs (3995837 bytes/sec)

Available ROMs:

(1) micro7.zip

(2) MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7.zip

Enter selection number (default=1, cancel=0, r=refresh): 2

unzipping your ROM

Saving base and cmdline of boot.img from current ROM (MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7) for future use

Extracting the boot.img of current ROM (MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7)

Page size: 2048 (0x00000800)

Kernel size: 3036980 (0x002e5734)

Ramdisk size: 194039 (0x0002f5f7)

Second size: 0 (0x00000000)

Board name:

Command line: androidboot.hardware=blade console=ttyMSM2,115200 g_android.product_id=0x1354

Writing boot.img-kernel ... complete.

Writing boot.img-ramdisk.gz ... complete.

626 blocks

You previously created the system loop file ss-s, do you want to use it for this ROM? (y/n)

You previously created the data loop file ss-d, do you want to use it for this ROM? (y/n)

y

Creating ramdisk cpio archive ...

Find compiled boot.img inside output folder as MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7boot.img

Now fixing your updater-script so you can install this ROM into your loop image

format("MTD", "system");

Do you want this installation to format the data image used with this ROM?

Answer Y for yes if it's a new installation and N for no if you are upgrading

and want to keep the data on the data image. (Say yes if you would run wipe

data/factory reset in recovery if this was a normal install)

y

The data image used with this ROM will be formatted during installation

All done, time to pack your ROM up again, it will be called MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7-loopinstall.zip and will be in /sdcard/multiboot/loop-roms/ss-s

The ss-s system loop file doesn't exist, without creating it before installation this ROM will fail to install

The ss-d data loop file doesn't exist, without creating it before installation this ROM will not boot

Everything worked, MY-Swedish-Snow-RLS7 is ready for loop installation.

Happy multibooting :)

Snap.IT aka Jinxxed

Press Enter to continue

There is indeed an error in the script but the error isn't that it doesn't create the proper files, the error is that you get the faulty error message.

If you look under /sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files you'll note that it's right there and if you mount it you'll note that the ROM is indeed installed into that file.

I'm using this exact version of the script and it works.

Looking at what you just posted the script worked just fine and should be ready for install.

Guest elrond_bs

Yes, but it doesn't work. I completed the steps 3 (for CM7 only), 4, and 6, several times and when I reboot I'm stuck on the green droid.

Furthermore, when I zipped the files you requested, their total size was less than 4MB, which means System and Data are empty (despite being 150MB outside the zip).

Check for yourself: http://db.tt/8JkeAW4q

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest Snap.IT

Yes, but it doesn't work. I completed the steps 3 (for CM7 only), 4, and 6, several times and when I reboot I'm stuck on the green droid.

Furthermore, when I zipped the files you requested, their total size was less than 4MB, which means System and Data are empty (despite being 150MB outside the zip).

Check for yourself: http://db.tt/8JkeAW4q

From the init.rc of your provided micro7boot.img:

on fs

mkdir -p /mnt/sdcard

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sdcard

# mount mtd partitions

# Mount /system rw first to give the filesystem a chance to save a checkpoint

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files/ /system

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files/ /system ro remount

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/data-loop-files/cm7-data /data nosuid nodev

I'm guessing the updater-script looks the same.

What is missing is the name for the system loop file, without that it has nowhere to install it and nowhere to boot from.

I'm uploading a new version with minor fixes, just remember that if there are no stated defaults then there are no defaults, you have to reply to all questions, hitting enter will not suffice.

Guest elrond_bs

I never just hit enter, I read the questions carefully and wait for each operation. Tested the new version, but still same result. :(

I tried also the flashable zip from post 330, but no difference.

I managed to extract boot.img with Cygwin and init.rc shows:

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files/ss-s /system ro remount

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/data-loop-files/ss-d /data nosuid nodev

Any ideas why it doesn't work?

Guest Snap.IT

I never just hit enter, I read the questions carefully and wait for each operation. Tested the new version, but still same result. :(

I tried also the flashable zip from post 330, but no difference.

I managed to extract boot.img with Cygwin and init.rc shows:

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files/ss-s /system ro remount

mount ext2 loop@/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/data-loop-files/ss-d /data nosuid nodev

Any ideas why it doesn't work?

Well that is certainly an improvement in the init.rc. ;)

If you open the loop file.zip and go to /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script, what does the mount lines of that file say? Are you getting any errors when installing the .zip? (you can check the log in /tmp/recovery after installation in CWM using adb).

The last script is an exact copy of the script i tarred right off of my sdcard and i just made and installed SS-RLS7 without any problems.

As i've said before, since you do get to the point where it boots fine but doesn't show the "ANDROID" text (actually the boot animation if there is none installed and there isn't for SS-RLS7) then the error is either in mounting the loop files or in the content of the loop files.

Could you try to zip those files and post them, just to check if i can use your exact installation on my phone?

Guest elrond_bs

EDIT: Wait, it seems the ROM will finally boot! :blink: WOW, I can't believe it! I installed the exact same zip, didn't even touch my phone since last time (only restored boot and loaded NAND ROM). And now it boots to the loop ROM. :D Seems like it was an error in CWM, but it didn't show any! And last time I waited 7-8 minutes on the greed droid, now it boots in 2.

It seems CWM (v5.5.0.4) doesn't like the script (and you may have to install it more than once until it works), also v11 seems to had caused trouble in the boot.img.

But now it's OK. :)

Thank you very much for your work and time. :)

Previous contents of the post:

Here are the updater-script contents from the "<ROM name>loopinstall.zip":

ui_print("");

ui_print("Swedish Snow");

ui_print("");

show_progress(0.2, 0);

show_progress(0.5, 30);

ui_print("Installing...");

ui_print("");

run_program("/sbin/mkdir", "-p", "/mnt/sdcard");

run_program("/sbin/mount", "-t", "vfat", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p1", "/mnt/sdcard");

run_program("/sbin/losetup", "/dev/block/loop0", "/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/system-loop-files/ss-s");

run_program("/sbin/losetup", "/dev/block/loop1", "/mnt/sdcard/multiboot/data-loop-files/ss-d");

run_program("/sbin/mke2fs", "-T", "ext2", "/dev/block/loop0");

run_program("/sbin/mount", "-t", "ext2", "/dev/block/loop0", "/system");

run_program("/sbin/mount", "-t", "ext2", "/dev/block/loop1", "/data");

delete_recursive("/data/dalvik-cache");

package_extract_dir("system", "/system");

show_progress(0.2, 10);

# write boot

package_extract_file("boot.img", "/tmp/boot.img");

write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "boot");

delete("/tmp/boot.img");

show_progress(0.2, 5);

# create symbolic links.

symlink("busybox", "/system/xbin/[", "/system/xbin/[[", "/system/xbin/ar", "/system/xbin/arp", "/system/xbin/arping", "/system/xbin/ash",

"/system/xbin/awk", "/system/xbin/basename", "/system/xbin/bbconfig", "/system/xbin/beep", "/system/xbin/brctl", "/system/xbin/bunzip2",

"/system/xbin/bzcat", "/system/xbin/bzip2", "/system/xbin/cal", "/system/xbin/cat", "/system/xbin/catv", "/system/xbin/chattr",

"/system/xbin/chgrp", "/system/xbin/chmod", "/system/xbin/chown", "/system/xbin/chpst", "/system/xbin/chroot", "/system/xbin/chrt",

"/system/xbin/chvt", "/system/xbin/cksum", "/system/xbin/clear", "/system/xbin/cmp", "/system/xbin/comm", "/system/xbin/cp",

"/system/xbin/cpio", "/system/xbin/cryptpw", "/system/xbin/cut", "/system/xbin/date", "/system/xbin/dc", "/system/xbin/dd",

"/system/xbin/deallocvt", "/system/xbin/depmod", "/system/xbin/devmem", "/system/xbin/df", "/system/xbin/diff", "/system/xbin/dirname",

"/system/xbin/dmesg", "/system/xbin/dnsd", "/system/xbin/dnsdomainname", "/system/xbin/dos2unix", "/system/xbin/du", "/system/xbin/dumpkmap",

"/system/xbin/e2fsck", "/system/xbin/echo", "/system/xbin/ed", "/system/xbin/egrep", "/system/xbin/env", "/system/xbin/envdir",

"/system/xbin/envuidgid", "/system/xbin/ether-wake", "/system/xbin/evtest", "/system/xbin/expand", "/system/xbin/expr",

"/system/xbin/fakeidentd", "/system/xbin/false", "/system/xbin/fbset", "/system/xbin/fbsplash", "/system/xbin/fdisk", "/system/xbin/fgrep",

"/system/xbin/find", "/system/xbin/flash_eraseall", "/system/xbin/flash_lock", "/system/xbin/flash_unlock", "/system/xbin/fold",

"/system/xbin/free", "/system/xbin/freeramdisk", "/system/xbin/fsck", "/system/xbin/fsck.ext2", "/system/xbin/fsck.ext3", "/system/xbin/fsync",

"/system/xbin/ftpd", "/system/xbin/ftpget", "/system/xbin/ftpput", "/system/xbin/fuser", "/system/xbin/getopt", "/system/xbin/getty",

"/system/xbin/grep", "/system/xbin/gunzip", "/system/xbin/gzip", "/system/xbin/halt", "/system/xbin/hd", "/system/xbin/head",

"/system/xbin/hexdump", "/system/xbin/hostid", "/system/xbin/hostname", "/system/xbin/hush", "/system/xbin/hwclock", "/system/xbin/id",

"/system/xbin/ifconfig", "/system/xbin/ifenslave", "/system/xbin/ifplugd", "/system/xbin/init", "/system/xbin/insmod", "/system/xbin/install",

"/system/xbin/ionice", "/system/xbin/ip", "/system/xbin/ipaddr", "/system/xbin/ipcalc", "/system/xbin/ipcrm", "/system/xbin/ipcs",

"/system/xbin/iplink", "/system/xbin/iproute", "/system/xbin/iprule", "/system/xbin/iptunnel", "/system/xbin/kbd_mode", "/system/xbin/kill",

"/system/xbin/killall", "/system/xbin/killall5", "/system/xbin/klogd", "/system/xbin/last", "/system/xbin/length", "/system/xbin/less",

"/system/xbin/linuxrc", "/system/xbin/ln", "/system/xbin/loadfont", "/system/xbin/loadkmap", "/system/xbin/logger", "/system/xbin/login",

"/system/xbin/logname", "/system/xbin/logread", "/system/xbin/losetup", "/system/xbin/ls", "/system/xbin/lsattr", "/system/xbin/lsmod",

"/system/xbin/lzmacat", "/system/xbin/lzop", "/system/xbin/lzopcat", "/system/xbin/md5sum", "/system/xbin/mdev", "/system/xbin/mesg",

"/system/xbin/microcom", "/system/xbin/mkdir", "/system/xbin/mkdosfs", "/system/xbin/mkfifo", "/system/xbin/mkfs.ext2", "/system/xbin/mkfs.ext3",

"/system/xbin/mkfs.vfat", "/system/xbin/mknod", "/system/xbin/mkpasswd", "/system/xbin/mkswap", "/system/xbin/mktemp", "/system/xbin/modprobe",

"/system/xbin/more", "/system/xbin/mount", "/system/xbin/mountpoint", "/system/xbin/mv", "/system/xbin/nameif", "/system/xbin/nc",

"/system/xbin/netstat", "/system/xbin/nice", "/system/xbin/nmeter", "/system/xbin/nohup", "/system/xbin/nslookup", "/system/xbin/od",

"/system/xbin/openvt", "/system/xbin/passwd", "/system/xbin/patch", "/system/xbin/pgrep", "/system/xbin/pidof", "/system/xbin/ping",

"/system/xbin/pipe_progress", "/system/xbin/pivot_root", "/system/xbin/pkill", "/system/xbin/poweroff", "/system/xbin/printenv",

"/system/xbin/printf", "/system/xbin/ps", "/system/xbin/pscan", "/system/xbin/pwd", "/system/xbin/rdate", "/system/xbin/rdev",

"/system/xbin/readahead", "/system/xbin/readlink", "/system/xbin/readprofile", "/system/xbin/realpath", "/system/xbin/reboot",

"/system/xbin/renice", "/system/xbin/replimenu", "/system/xbin/reset", "/system/xbin/resize", "/system/xbin/rm", "/system/xbin/rmdir",

"/system/xbin/rmmod", "/system/xbin/route", "/system/xbin/rtcwake", "/system/xbin/runlevel", "/system/xbin/runsv", "/system/xbin/runsvdir",

"/system/xbin/rx", "/system/xbin/sed", "/system/xbin/seq", "/system/xbin/setconsole", "/system/xbin/setkeycodes", "/system/xbin/setlogcons",

"/system/xbin/setsid", "/system/xbin/setuidgid", "/system/xbin/sh", "/system/xbin/sha1sum", "/system/xbin/showkey", "/system/xbin/slattach",

"/system/xbin/sleep", "/system/xbin/softlimit", "/system/xbin/sort", "/system/xbin/split", "/system/xbin/stat", "/system/xbin/strings",

"/system/xbin/stty", "/system/xbin/sulogin", "/system/xbin/sum", "/system/xbin/sv", "/system/xbin/svlogd", "/system/xbin/swapoff",

"/system/xbin/swapon", "/system/xbin/switch_root", "/system/xbin/sync", "/system/xbin/sysctl", "/system/xbin/syslogd", "/system/xbin/tac",

"/system/xbin/tail", "/system/xbin/tar", "/system/xbin/tcpsvd", "/system/xbin/tee", "/system/xbin/telnet", "/system/xbin/telnetd",

"/system/xbin/test", "/system/xbin/tftp", "/system/xbin/tftpd", "/system/xbin/time", "/system/xbin/timeout", "/system/xbin/top",

"/system/xbin/touch", "/system/xbin/tr", "/system/xbin/traceroute", "/system/xbin/true", "/system/xbin/tty", "/system/xbin/ttysize",

"/system/xbin/udpsvd", "/system/xbin/umount", "/system/xbin/uname", "/system/xbin/uncompress", "/system/xbin/uniq", "/system/xbin/unix2dos",

"/system/xbin/unlzma", "/system/xbin/unlzop", "/system/xbin/unzip", "/system/xbin/uptime", "/system/xbin/usleep", "/system/xbin/uudecode",

"/system/xbin/uuencode", "/system/xbin/vconfig", "/system/xbin/vi", "/system/xbin/watch", "/system/xbin/watchdog", "/system/xbin/wc",

"/system/xbin/wget", "/system/xbin/which", "/system/xbin/who", "/system/xbin/whoami", "/system/xbin/xargs", "/system/xbin/yes",

"/system/xbin/zcat", "/system/xbin/zcip");

symlink("iwmulticall", "/system/bin/iwconfig", "/system/bin/iwevent", "/system/bin/iwgetid", "/system/bin/iwlist", "/system/bin/iwpriv", "/system/bin/iwspy");

symlink("dumpstate", "/system/bin/dumpcrash");

symlink("toolbox", "/system/bin/cat", "/system/bin/chmod", "/system/bin/chown", "/system/bin/cmp", "/system/bin/date", "/system/bin/dd",

"/system/bin/dmesg", "/system/bin/getevent", "/system/bin/getprop", "/system/bin/hd", "/system/bin/id", "/system/bin/ifconfig",

"/system/bin/iftop", "/system/bin/insmod", "/system/bin/ioctl", "/system/bin/kill", "/system/bin/ln", "/system/bin/ls", "/system/bin/log",

"/system/bin/lsmod", "/system/bin/mkdir", "/system/bin/mount", "/system/bin/netstat", "/system/bin/newfs_msdos", "/system/bin/notify",

"/system/bin/printenv", "/system/bin/ps", "/system/bin/reboot", "/system/bin/renice", "/system/bin/rm", "/system/bin/rmdir", "/system/bin/rmmod",

"/system/bin/route", "/system/bin/schedtop", "/system/bin/sendevent", "/system/bin/setconsole", "/system/bin/setprop", "/system/bin/sleep",

"/system/bin/smd", "/system/bin/start", "/system/bin/stop", "/system/bin/sync", "/system/bin/top", "/system/bin/umount", "/system/bin/vmstat",

"/system/bin/watchprops", "/system/bin/wipe");

symlink("/system/xbin/busybox", "/system/bin/busybox.a2sd");

# fix up permissions.

set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system/");

set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");

set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/xbin");

set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system/etc");

set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0755, "/system/etc/init.d");

set_perm(0, 3004, 02755, "/system/bin/ping");

set_perm(0, 3003, 02755, "/system/bin/netcfg");

set_perm(0, 1000, 04550, "/system/bin/iptables");

set_perm(0, 1000, 04550, "/system/bin/getlogtofile.sh");

set_perm(0, 1000, 04550, "/system/bin/Tgetmem");

set_perm(0, 0, 0755, "/system/xbin/busybox");

set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/bin/su");

symlink("/system/bin/su", "/system/xbin/su");

set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/bin/screenshot");

set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/bin/logcat");

set_perm(1002, 1002, 0440, "/system/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf");

set_perm(1002, 1002, 0440, "/system/etc/bluetooth/input.conf");

set_perm(1002, 1002, 0440, "/system/etc/bluetooth/main.conf");

set_perm(3002, 3002, 0444, "/system/etc/bluetooth/blacklist.conf");

set_perm(1000, 1000, 0640, "/system/etc/bluetooth/auto_pairing.conf");

set_perm(1002, 1002, 0440, "/system/etc/dbus.conf");

set_perm(1014, 2000, 0550, "/system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks");

set_perm(0, 0, 0555, "/system/etc/ppp/ip-up-vpn");

set_perm(1010, 1010, 0660, "/system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf");

set_perm(0, 2000, 0550, "/system/etc/init.goldfish.sh");

set_perm(1010, 1010, 0550, "/system/etc/init.qcom.sdio.sh");

set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/system/wifi/reg_code");

set_perm(1010, 1000, 0750, "/system/wifi/dhcpcd.sh");

set_perm(1010, 1000, 0750, "/system/wifi/wpa_supplicant.sh");

# all done.

unmount("/data");

unmount("/system");

run_program("/sbin/losetup", "-d", "/dev/block/loop0");

run_program("/sbin/losetup", "-d", "/dev/block/loop1");

ui_print("");

ui_print("All done.");

I'm getting no errors when installing the loop ROM in CWM Recovery (v5.5.0.4).

Here are most of the contents of the multiboot folder (except for "loop-roms" folder, "boot.img" and "nandboot.zip"): http://db.tt/0dGI16li

And here my boot.img file from my <ROM name>loopinstall.zip: http://db.tt/PkSIIPY6

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest android@sam

To resolve the problem of loop errors i think you should add following lines to check the loop files.If they are not make one by

if [ -b /dev/block/loop250 ]; then

echo “Loop device exists”

else

busybox mknod /dev/block/loop250 b 7 250

This creates new loop block and won't reproduce the problem we are facing..

Guest Snap.IT
To resolve the problem of loop errors i think you should add following lines to check the loop files.If they are not make one by

else

Good idea, i'll include the creation of a device in startup so there always is a free device for running the script.

Guest andr0idbeliev3r

Snap.It one suggestion, you should post a script to wipe the Dalvik-Cache on the Loop Rom's Data IMG, im triyng to install a áudio mod that requires wipe of the dalvik-Cache, but i can't because i don't have access to it :P

Guest Snap.IT

Snap.It one suggestion, you should post a script to wipe the Dalvik-Cache on the Loop Rom's Data IMG, im triyng to install a áudio mod that requires wipe of the dalvik-Cache, but i can't because i don't have access to it :P

Should be easy enough. :)

Guest Snap.IT

else

New startup script with addition of a loop device and option to clear Dalvik Cache added and new version posted.

Guest elrond_bs

I just tested v13 and it is working OK, but I still had to install the "<ROMname>-loopinstall.zip" twice in CWM to get it working (it didn't boot the first time, removed battery and installed it again).

Anyway, it not a big deal at all and I really don't care as long as it's working after that. :) Just if anyone else has the same problem - install loop ROM again.

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest Snap.IT
I just tested v13 and it is working OK, but I still had to install the "<ROMname>-loopinstall.zip" twice in CWM to get it working (it didn't boot the first time, removed battery and installed it again).

Anyway, it not a big deal at all and I really don't care, because it is working great after that. :) Just if anyone else has the same problem - install loop ROM again.

I don't know why that is. I can't run KonstaT's CWM either, they don't work at all on my gen3 phone.

In my CWM touch it works like installing any other ROM.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Guest android@sam

Hey buddy i think you are using perl scripts to unpack and repack the boot.img.Because of it and other stuff which is needed to run those scripts,your package weighs slight heavy.Just a suggestion,you can use the attached binary i have compiled for arm to do the operations.It will decrease the size and bring more simplicity to your package!!!!

bootimg-tools-arm.tar.gz

Guest Snap.IT

Hey buddy i think you are using perl scripts to unpack and repack the boot.img.Because of it and other stuff which is needed to run those scripts,your package weighs slight heavy.Just a suggestion,you can use the attached binary i have compiled for arm to do the operations.It will decrease the size and bring more simplicity to your package!!!!

I'll check it out.

I am working on an install script in perl that will be used to install the loop ROM and packages into the made loop files so i might need perl anyway.

EDIT: I'll probably incorporate it with credit to you, i forgot how much i hate perl, i'm going to write the installer in C.

Did you write the code and compile it or is there someone else to thank for it?

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest andr0idbeliev3r

One question Snap.IT off-topic, wich is the best OS for compiling? Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora? And 64-bits or 32-bits?

Edited by andr0idbeliev3r

Guest Snap.IT

One question Snap.IT off-topic, wich is the best OS for compiling? Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora? And 64-bits or 32-bits?

I use Arch Linux, doesn't really matter what you use since you'll download the cross compiler for compiling with the code or choose some other compiler that is still not included in most repos.

It depends on your preferences, i use Slackware and Arch because that's what i like, others use Debian or Ubuntu because that is what they like, some people like Fedora but those people are just weird. :D

All in all, all have the proper packages so it really depends on which you prefer, if you're not used to Unix then don't go with an easy distro that will confuse the hell out of you when something doesn't work, as far as i'm concerned there are only two current distros that are worth the time, Debian and Arch.

Guest Snap.IT

Thanks for the Clear Dalvik-Option, its so much easier now!

I'm not convinced that you ever need to clear the Dalvik Cache since it will rebuild all on it's own when new code is detected but i'm not all-knowing either. :D

I think it's something from the 2.0 days to be honest, it's not really necessary for anything after that as far as i know.

Apart from odexing, if you don't wipe after doing that then you'll have two .dexs and that may cause something, i really don't know.

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest andr0idbeliev3r

I use Arch Linux, doesn't really matter what you use since you'll download the cross compiler for compiling with the code or choose some other compiler that is still not included in most repos.

It depends on your preferences, i use Slackware and Arch because that's what i like, others use Debian or Ubuntu because that is what they like, some people like Fedora but those people are just weird. :D

All in all, all have the proper packages so it really depends on which you prefer, if you're not used to Unix then don't go with an easy distro that will confuse the hell out of you when something doesn't work, as far as i'm concerned there are only two current distros that are worth the time, Debian and Arch.

Cool i think im going to try Arch Linux

I'm not convinced that you ever need to clear the Dalvik Cache since it will rebuild all on it's own when new code is detected but i'm not all-knowing either. :D

I think it's something from the 2.0 days to be honest, it's not really necessary for anything after that as far as i know.

Apart from odexing, if you don't wipe after doing that then you'll have two .dexs and that may cause something, i really don't know.

Yes, i thought so but i wiping it won't make any problem so i wipe it even if it doesn't do anything.

Guest Snap.IT

Cool i think im going to try Arch Linux

Look through the wiki before installing, it's excellent and so are the forums for Arch. (or they used to be, haven't visited in quite a few years, lol)

Yes, i thought so but i wiping it won't make any problem so i wipe it even if it doesn't do anything.

Yup, that's why i included it too. :)

Guest android@sam

I'll check it out.

I am working on an install script in perl that will be used to install the loop ROM and packages into the made loop files so i might need perl anyway.

EDIT: I'll probably incorporate it with credit to you, i forgot how much i hate perl, i'm going to write the installer in C.

Did you write the code and compile it or is there someone else to thank for it?

I just cross compiled it from the source for arm

with gcc.If you want to thank someone, say

thanks to google for the source!!!!

Guest elrond_bs

I run into some troubles (most of which are not script related):

- Can't flash nandboot.zip (error code below, tried many times) with CWM 5.5.0.4, (I notice that late, 'cos been using Advanced Restore). I made my own zip with the original nand ROM boot.img and it's fine.

Writing boot partition...

assert failed: package_extract_file("boot.img", "/tmp/boot.img")

E:Error in /sdcard/multiboot/nandboot.zip

(Status 7)

Installation aborted.

Rest of the problems are not directly related to the script, but the loop ROM itself (SS-RLS7). If anyone has such problems, read below.

- Loop ROM (SS-RLS7) interferes with ext partition (because of A2SD build-in support). This is strange, because when I first installed the loop ROM, it was OK. Then I: 1. installed few apps, which I have on Nand ROM too. 2. Deleted the loop ROM (multiboot folder) 3. Created another loop ROM. 4. When booted, it showed the apps I installed in previous loop ROM, but not all ext apps. 5. Repeated - same result. I had to format ext. Anyway, I solved the problem by removing A2SD support from the ROM and it's fine.

- USB mount (SD card to PC) doesn't work in loop ROM (at least in SS-RLS7).

- The already made loop ROM tends to cause problems with no apparent reason. I had to remake it many times from the beginning and still has some small bugs.

- The most common problem is apps force closing or not starting, even on clean install - both system and data apps.

- Titanium Backup is problematic (I do not restore system apps or data, only apps that I 100% know work on this ROM) - apps sometimes work, sometimes not. And sometimes work until restart and then all apps begin to force close (even those not restored or changed in any way!). It's really strange and when happens, the whole ROM is unusable. My SD card (class 10) is also not the cause, I scanned it for bad blocks, just in case.

To summarize - the loop ROM is easily becoming bugged or unstable. Some apps just refuse to work and the same apps might be OK in a new, clean installation of the loop ROM, but other to be bugged (happened to me with QuickPic, YouTube - system app, PlayerPro and others). Sometimes work, sometimes not. :D

Edited by elrond_bs

Guest Snap.IT

I run into some troubles (most of which are not script related):

- Can't flash nandboot.zip (error code below, tried many times) with CWM 5.5.0.4, (I notice that late, 'cos been using Advanced Restore). I made my own zip with the original nand ROM boot.img and it's fine.

Writing boot partition...

assert failed: package_extract_file("boot.img", "/tmp/boot.img")

E:Error in /sdcard/multiboot/nandboot.zip

(Status 7)

Installation aborted.

Rest of the problems are not directly related to the script, but the loop ROM itself (SS-RLS7). If anyone has such problems, read below.

- Loop ROM (SS-RLS7) interferes with ext partition (because of A2SD build-in support). This is strange, because when I first installed the loop ROM, it was OK. Then I: 1. installed few apps, which I have on Nand ROM too. 2. Deleted the loop ROM (multiboot folder) 3. Created another loop ROM. 4. When booted, it showed the apps I installed in previous loop ROM, but not all ext apps. 5. Repeated - same result. I had to format ext. Anyway, I solved the problem by removing A2SD support from the ROM and it's fine.

- USB mount (SD card to PC) doesn't work in loop ROM (at least in SS-RLS7).

- The already made loop ROM tends to cause problems with no apparent reason. I had to remake it many times from the beginning and still has some small bugs.

- The most common problem is apps force closing or not starting, even on clean install - both system and data apps.

- Titanium Backup is problematic (I do not restore system apps or data, only apps that I 100% know work on this ROM) - apps sometimes work, sometimes not. And sometimes work until restart and then all apps begin to force close (even those not restored or changed in any way!). It's really strange and when happens, the whole ROM is unusable. My SD card (class 10) is also not the cause, I scanned it for bad blocks, just in case.

To summarize - the loop ROM is easily becoming bugged or unstable. Some apps just refuse to work and the same apps might be OK in a new, clean installation of the loop ROM, but other to be bugged (happened to me with QuickPic, YouTube - system app, PlayerPro and others). Sometimes work, sometimes not. :D

I've spent the last day running this specific ROM to see if it's different than any others i'm running on a loop install, it's not.

It's as stable as if i had it on the nand with no bugs except when i try to install or use anything that needs secure access to the sdcard, for obvious reasons it cannot have that.

IF there is enough people who want it i'll release a version that installs into mmcblk0p[your choice] in loop files in that location, this will probably fix every single one of your problem and definetly the problem about unmounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 for sharing with the computer.

Regarding the multiple installs you make, i support installs using the last known stable touch that i provide, don't want it, don't use it but please mention that you are NOT following my recommendations when you report problems.

Apps force closing or not starting may be because you have enabled A2SD.

Titanium backup is an app i'd recommend that no one use, ever, for any purpose and that has nothing to do with the specifics of running a rom in a separately mounted loop file on the sdcard partition on your sdcard which it is trying to access exclusively (i'm sure you figured out why it won't work by now).

I've been running four different roms as differential dailies all run off of my sdcard for MONTHS without any problems, if you have a problem then it may just be because you're trying to do something unsupported.

Like running the system from mmcblk0p1 while trying to run other apps that require exclusive access to that partition.

Six roms installed now, all running just fine, several other people have been running it for months without a hitch.

But please, at the very least provide a recovery log and preferably a logcat right after the problems you get.

I can't fix it if i don't know what is broken. :)