394 replies to this topic

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade 3, Alcatel OT995

Snap.It one suggestion, you should post a script to wipe the Dalvik-Cache on the Loop Rom's Data IMG, im triyng to install a áudio mod that requires wipe of the dalvik-Cache, but i can't because i don't have access to it :P

Should be easy enough. :)

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Snap.It one suggestion, you should post a script to wipe the Dalvik-Cache on the Loop Rom's Data IMG, im triyng to install a áudio mod that requires wipe of the dalvik-Cache, but i can't because i don't have access to it :P

To resolve the problem of loop errors i think you should add following lines to check the loop files.If they are not make one by

if [ -b /dev/block/loop250 ]; then
echo “Loop device exists”
else
busybox mknod /dev/block/loop250 b 7 250

This creates new loop block and won't reproduce the problem we are facing..

New startup script with addition of a loop device and option to clear Dalvik Cache added and new version posted.

elrond_bs

elrond_bs

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
I just tested v13 and it is working OK, but I still had to install the "<ROMname>-loopinstall.zip" twice in CWM to get it working (it didn't boot the first time, removed battery and installed it again).

Anyway, it not a big deal at all and I really don't care as long as it's working after that. :) Just if anyone else has the same problem - install loop ROM again.

Edited by elrond_bs, 20 December 2012 - 09:33 PM.

ZTE Blade with CyanogenMod 11 (Android 4.4.4 KitKat)

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

I just tested v13 and it is working OK, but I still had to install the "<ROMname>-loopinstall.zip" twice in CWM to get it working (it didn't boot the first time, removed battery and installed it again).

Anyway, it not a big deal at all and I really don't care, because it is working great after that. :) Just if anyone else has the same problem - install loop ROM again.

I don't know why that is. I can't run KonstaT's CWM either, they don't work at all on my gen3 phone.

In my CWM touch it works like installing any other ROM.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Computers, MObilez...
  • Devices:DELL XCD35 aka ZTE BLADE
Hey buddy i think you are using perl scripts to unpack and repack the boot.img.Because of it and other stuff which is needed to run those scripts,your package weighs slight heavy.Just a suggestion,you can use the attached binary i have compiled for arm to do the operations.It will decrease the size and bring more simplicity to your package!!!!

Attached Files

Sony Ericsson UI On your ZTE BLADE

"CYANSCAPE"

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Hey buddy i think you are using perl scripts to unpack and repack the boot.img.Because of it and other stuff which is needed to run those scripts,your package weighs slight heavy.Just a suggestion,you can use the attached binary i have compiled for arm to do the operations.It will decrease the size and bring more simplicity to your package!!!!

I'll check it out.

I am working on an install script in perl that will be used to install the loop ROM and packages into the made loop files so i might need perl anyway.

EDIT: I'll probably incorporate it with credit to you, i forgot how much i hate perl, i'm going to write the installer in C.

Did you write the code and compile it or is there someone else to thank for it?

Edited by Snap.IT, 21 December 2012 - 01:43 AM.

andr0idbeliev3r

andr0idbeliev3r

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Devices:Sapo a5 (Portugal's ZTE Blade)
Thanks for the Clear Dalvik-Option, its so much easier now!

Thanks to all developers for developing such beautifull and stable ROMS and thanks to Google for developing android aaaaand thanks to the original creators of android.

My devices:

ZTE Blade- MegaDrive 4.0.4

andr0idbeliev3r

andr0idbeliev3r

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
One question Snap.IT off-topic, wich is the best OS for compiling? Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora? And 64-bits or 32-bits?

Edited by andr0idbeliev3r, 20 December 2012 - 08:00 PM.

Thanks to all developers for developing such beautifull and stable ROMS and thanks to Google for developing android aaaaand thanks to the original creators of android.

My devices:

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

One question Snap.IT off-topic, wich is the best OS for compiling? Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora? And 64-bits or 32-bits?

I use Arch Linux, doesn't really matter what you use since you'll download the cross compiler for compiling with the code or choose some other compiler that is still not included in most repos.

It depends on your preferences, i use Slackware and Arch because that's what i like, others use Debian or Ubuntu because that is what they like, some people like Fedora but those people are just weird. :D

All in all, all have the proper packages so it really depends on which you prefer, if you're not used to Unix then don't go with an easy distro that will confuse the hell out of you when something doesn't work, as far as i'm concerned there are only two current distros that are worth the time, Debian and Arch.

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Thanks for the Clear Dalvik-Option, its so much easier now!

I'm not convinced that you ever need to clear the Dalvik Cache since it will rebuild all on it's own when new code is detected but i'm not all-knowing either. :D

I think it's something from the 2.0 days to be honest, it's not really necessary for anything after that as far as i know.

Apart from odexing, if you don't wipe after doing that then you'll have two .dexs and that may cause something, i really don't know.

Edited by Snap.IT, 20 December 2012 - 08:10 PM.

andr0idbeliev3r

andr0idbeliev3r

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

I use Arch Linux, doesn't really matter what you use since you'll download the cross compiler for compiling with the code or choose some other compiler that is still not included in most repos.

It depends on your preferences, i use Slackware and Arch because that's what i like, others use Debian or Ubuntu because that is what they like, some people like Fedora but those people are just weird. :D

All in all, all have the proper packages so it really depends on which you prefer, if you're not used to Unix then don't go with an easy distro that will confuse the hell out of you when something doesn't work, as far as i'm concerned there are only two current distros that are worth the time, Debian and Arch.

Cool i think im going to try Arch Linux

I'm not convinced that you ever need to clear the Dalvik Cache since it will rebuild all on it's own when new code is detected but i'm not all-knowing either. :D

I think it's something from the 2.0 days to be honest, it's not really necessary for anything after that as far as i know.

Apart from odexing, if you don't wipe after doing that then you'll have two .dexs and that may cause something, i really don't know.

Yes, i thought so but i wiping it won't make any problem so i wipe it even if it doesn't do anything.

My devices:

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Cool i think im going to try Arch Linux

Look through the wiki before installing, it's excellent and so are the forums for Arch. (or they used to be, haven't visited in quite a few years, lol)

Yes, i thought so but i wiping it won't make any problem so i wipe it even if it doesn't do anything.

Yup, that's why i included it too. :)

android@sam

android@sam

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Computers, MObilez...
  • Devices:DELL XCD35 aka ZTE BLADE

I'll check it out.

I am working on an install script in perl that will be used to install the loop ROM and packages into the made loop files so i might need perl anyway.

EDIT: I'll probably incorporate it with credit to you, i forgot how much i hate perl, i'm going to write the installer in C.

Did you write the code and compile it or is there someone else to thank for it?

I just cross compiled it from the source for arm
with gcc.If you want to thank someone, say
thanks to google for the source!!!!

Sony Ericsson UI On your ZTE BLADE

"CYANSCAPE"

elrond_bs

elrond_bs

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
I run into some troubles (most of which are not script related):

- Can't flash nandboot.zip (error code below, tried many times) with CWM 5.5.0.4, (I notice that late, 'cos been using Advanced Restore). I made my own zip with the original nand ROM boot.img and it's fine.
Writing boot partition...
assert failed: package_extract_file("boot.img", "/tmp/boot.img")
E:Error in /sdcard/multiboot/nandboot.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Rest of the problems are not directly related to the script, but the loop ROM itself (SS-RLS7). If anyone has such problems, read below.
Spoiler

Edited by elrond_bs, 21 December 2012 - 08:15 PM.

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

I run into some troubles (most of which are not script related):

- Can't flash nandboot.zip (error code below, tried many times) with CWM 5.5.0.4, (I notice that late, 'cos been using Advanced Restore). I made my own zip with the original nand ROM boot.img and it's fine.

Writing boot partition...
assert failed: package_extract_file("boot.img", "/tmp/boot.img")
E:Error in /sdcard/multiboot/nandboot.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Rest of the problems are not directly related to the script, but the loop ROM itself (SS-RLS7). If anyone has such problems, read below.
Spoiler

I've spent the last day running this specific ROM to see if it's different than any others i'm running on a loop install, it's not.

It's as stable as if i had it on the nand with no bugs except when i try to install or use anything that needs secure access to the sdcard, for obvious reasons it cannot have that.

IF there is enough people who want it i'll release a version that installs into mmcblk0p[your choice] in loop files in that location, this will probably fix every single one of your problem and definetly the problem about unmounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 for sharing with the computer.

Regarding the multiple installs you make, i support installs using the last known stable touch that i provide, don't want it, don't use it but please mention that you are NOT following my recommendations when you report problems.

Apps force closing or not starting may be because you have enabled A2SD.

Titanium backup is an app i'd recommend that no one use, ever, for any purpose and that has nothing to do with the specifics of running a rom in a separately mounted loop file on the sdcard partition on your sdcard which it is trying to access exclusively (i'm sure you figured out why it won't work by now).

I've been running four different roms as differential dailies all run off of my sdcard for MONTHS without any problems, if you have a problem then it may just be because you're trying to do something unsupported.

Like running the system from mmcblk0p1 while trying to run other apps that require exclusive access to that partition.

Six roms installed now, all running just fine, several other people have been running it for months without a hitch.

But please, at the very least provide a recovery log and preferably a logcat right after the problems you get.

I can't fix it if i don't know what is broken. :)

elrond_bs

elrond_bs

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
Thanks for the clarification. :) It seems at least some of the problems are caused by my CWM version. As for ext, I tried with formated empty ext and later with disabled A2SD for the loop ROM, before installing it, and still had some issues.

Anyway, the loop ROM I'm using now doesn't have big problems so I'm OK with it and don't plan to change it for now. :) If I decide to experiment with multiboot again and run into problems, I'll sure post a logcat and recovery log, before reporting. And I'll try your CWM touch anyway. Thanks. :)

Edited by elrond_bs, 23 December 2012 - 11:39 PM.

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Thanks for the clarification. :) It seems at least some of the problems are caused by my CWM version. As for ext, I tried with formated empty ext and later with disabled A2SD for the loop ROM, before installing it, and still had some issues.

Anyway, the loop ROM I'm using now doesn't have big problems so I'm OK with it and don't plan to change it for now. :) If I decide to experiment with multiboot again and run into problems, I'll sure post a logcat and recovery log, before reporting. And I'll try your CWM touch anyway. Thanks. :)

It should work just like it does installed to nand apart from anything unmounting the sdcard. Titanium SHOULD work fine too, it really doesn't need exclusive locks but it does require them anyway so it's just lazy code writers that couldn't for the world of them figure out how to write it properly. (the fix is to remove all locks and replace them with a simple check for safe writing to disk).

I didn't mean to come off as an arse. :)

One thing to keep in mind, using a script to cache the SD-Card makes a HUGE difference, i am going to include one of those in my next version but until then you can use Burstlams script.

It adds to the stability of running it too since some apps will FC rather than ask you if you want to wait for response.

I've been running Mokee as my replacement for access to a GB version for quite a while now, i like it simply because i can fit the navbar into the statusbar and have it on the bottom, it also includes some other goodies that are vital for me.

If you run S2E you should be able to share data with NAND and other loop roms just fine as long as they are the same android version, it won't work with different versions since the latest will upgrade your apps to a version that none of the others will support.

You CAN make your own mount script for each set of ROM's and make a separate loop file for each and run S2E which will go with whatever SD-Ext is mounted at boot if you are a dev and running several similar versions and want to try out loads of apps for them.

CWM 6.0.2.3 will be available soon if you want to try it out, i just have to fix one thing in the kernel to make the USB mounting work, as it is right now it will do everything except mount the sdcard properly.

gunapriyan

gunapriyan

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Snap, I am facing the following error message in beginning:

"This script needs root to run some operations, you're not root so I'm exiting"...

How can i solve this issue?

Regards,

Guna

Snap.IT

Snap.IT

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Snap, I am facing the following error message in beginning:

"This script needs root to run some operations, you're not root so I'm exiting"...

How can i solve this issue?

Regards,

Guna

Trick question, who is not root? You're not root! Or you are depending on whether you can type su in a terminal.

Trust me, you don't want to ask again, i had a much longer and MUCH nastier reply available for you before i remembered who you are and took pity on you.

peetu20

peetu20

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Devices:Zte Blade, Zte Blade III
Hey, what i am doing wrong?
I followed your guide to install konstat cm10 as loop rom but when i select option to boot one of rom(nand or loop) and i selected boot to cm10 loop. But my device got bootloop,,,
Booting to nand via script works well. I am running konstat cm10(i just wanted to try ur script, thats the reason why i install same rom in loop, what i am running...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users