Is there a technical reason for loosing signal when horizontal

Guest bryfly

Guest bryfly

I have found that if i leave my g300 horizontal on the arm of a chair it will loose its signal 90% of the time, but if i place it upright in the same position the signal is fine and is not lost, just interested is there a tech reason why this should happen..........

Guest ahatomastarday

Radio receiver antenna is on the back of the phone above the battery.

Probably not the smartest design decision if it really is there, since you'd always cover the antenna with your hand when holding the phone...

Guest Davidoff59

Most phones are built this way. Try covering the back of the phone with 2 hands and signal will drop by 2 bars. This is a worst case scenario and isnt a standard way of holding a phone.

Guest animal666

Its a smart decision, unless you'd prefer the microwave energy going through your face, head and brain whilst holding the phone?

I know which i prefer.

Guest ahatomastarday

Well, having the antenna around the border of the phone rather than in the back where your fingers are sounds smarter to me. Isn't that the way the latest iPhone has it? (don't judge me, I'm no Apple fan, just saying). Anyway, I don't have the slightest idea about these things, it was just a thought, probably a stupid one. Don't get mad :)

Edited by ahatomastarday

Guest Davidoff59

General holding of a phone shouldnt degrade signal as your fingers are generally spread out to stabalise the phone.The Iphone design is due to the metal chassis which must block some of the signal hence the rim acting as an aerial

Guest belmet

phone signal depends on proximity of the nearest tower and the phase of the signal being received. in some cases this can lead to a phone in a certain orientation not receiving any signal/having great signal. dtv (freeview) in the uk has the same problem it is a pain in the bum :P

Guest MrPuddington
in some cases this can lead to a phone in a certain orientation not receiving any signal/having great signal. dtv (freeview) in the uk has the same problem it is a pain in the bum :P

In TV you know the polarisation - normally it is horizontal - and you can adjust your antenna accordingly. With a mobile phone that is slightly more difficult.

In theory the old phones with a protruding antenna had better reception. Of course nowadays you would probably need at least 5 antennas for all the different signals and multipath... and your phone would look like a starfish.

Guest Mario_Cardoso

I have a similar problem. If I lay my phone on my laptop, it loses the signal, always! I don't have this problem with any other phone!

Guest bryfly

just downloaded "open signal" and my signal strength horizontaly floats between 0% to 20% and vertical 39% to 52% , however there is a tower direction arrow in the app and as i move my phone it is switching between towers which links into the weak / strong signal. does this point to a weakness in the phone or is this normal behaviour??