Basebands

Guest ahatomastarday

Guest ahatomastarday

What are they? What are the implications of having one or another? I've heard people saying it has something to do with HSDPA connectivity. Why do some ROMs have a different baseband than others? Eg. in B892 (latest Vodafone's Gingerbread so to speak) the baseband is 109808, whereas in ICS leaked ROMs is 2030 AFAIK. What's the difference? Is it so important? I've even read about recommended paths to upgrade from Gingerbread to the latest ICS going through another ROM first so that the baseband is better in some way or something like that. I don't really understand what this is about and I bet I'm not the only one. I'd be really great if somebody posted some sort of clarification. Thanks in advance!

Guest Davidoff59

An ics roms radio, Ie calls and data etc wont work on a gingerbread version and vice versa. Its basically been updated on ICS for whatever reason so its not compatible now with gingerbread. Baseband can only be changed by flashing an official Huawei rom at the moment.

Guest ahatomastarday

An ics roms radio, Ie calls and data etc wont work on a gingerbread version and vice versa. Its basically been updated on ICS for whatever reason so its not compatible now with gingerbread. Baseband can only be changed by flashing an official Huawei rom at the moment.

So no baseband is "better" than the other or anything then, they're just different? They have nothing to do with allowing HSDPA connectivity? That is what got me confused, since some people are suggesting specific paths to upgrade in order to keep this or that baseband because it's allegedly "better".

Guest Davidoff59

The baseband was changed within different ICS roms. One enabled Hsdpa 11 high speed upload and then B934 disabled it. Flashing the Huawei rom using the official method will change the baseband.

Flash leaked B916 with Huawei method to get HSDPA11 as this changes the baseband

CWM B934 to keep HSDPA11

As stated, only flashing via the official Huawei method can change the baseband.

Flashing a rom via CWM recovery cannot change the baseband yet

My rom version numbers may be wrong as im typing from memory but its to give you an idea of how and why.

One has high speed upload, the other doesnt so one is better depending on your own usage.

Edited by Davidoff59

Guest Dazzozo

Huawei probably change the baseband more often than we think in that way.

The cosmetic difference in 2030 is that it complies with the RIL changes in ICS and above. (Their RIL is actually quite standard, there's no weird stuff like Samsung.)

Guest Davidoff59

Read the instruction pdf that comes with the B934 download. It has a list of roms that it will upgrade over. If B892 is not on the list, it wont upgrade and will just error out

Guest paulus22

The instructions in the pdf list as suitable upgrade parth a whole load of ROMs which have never been seen. Has anyone just tried the upgrade directly from an official Huawei GB ROM - like 886 directly to ICS 934? If so are there any pitfalls?

Guest bladebuddy

That's what I did whent from stock 892 to the ICS via official update using forced method dload and all went well it was the second ice rom found the one with Google apps already installed.