Colin Whiteside

Colin Whiteside

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire, Huawei G300
  • Twitter:@spacehost
Yeah, it might be time to try that. I'm seriously considering just getting a refund and buying something else. I don't particularly want to, as I quite like the device otherwise, but at present there seems to be no guarantee that it won't happen on newly-released devices.

Dabogues

Dabogues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:HTC Thunderbolt, Asus Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@Dabogues

Yeah, it might be time to try that. I'm seriously considering just getting a refund and buying something else. I don't particularly want to, as I quite like the device otherwise, but at present there seems to be no guarantee that it won't happen on newly-released devices.

Agreed. I bought mine from Gamestop here in the US, so I'm not sure what to do. Do I contact Asus directly and just hope for the best, or do I just try to return it? Damnit, Google, if you'd just let us have an SD card, we wouldn't have this issue. I hate that my one biggest misgiving about the device (no expandable storage) is now turning out to be the thing that shoots it most in the foot.

And how nuts is it that the 8GB model isn't affected? ARGH. I want to keep this thing, but I need some sort of resolution (and I don't consider rooting so I can have a USB OTG dongle hanging off all the time a solution).

dbbloke

dbbloke

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Phones, Doing things, working things out, Reading
  • Devices:Huawei G300. ZTE Skate. LGP990
Aaaargh, its driving me mad. Just re-flashed stock and remove everything (OK 10 basic apps or so, nothing large)

The keyboard hangs and the screen if I'm scrolling around hangs for a second or two completely ignoring my input, its like the processor is servicing a mystery interrupt which doesn't yield.

So am I supposed to return it or what?

And is everyone suffering this or just a few people. If I reboot or lock screen and unlock it fixes itself for a while until it eventually gets its kernel in a twist. Also.. multi tasking isn't happening at all. Perhaps Google know SFA about software dev. But as other devices work fine?? then it looks like the tegra arcitecure is just flawed, certainly my lg 2x also struggles but all my other less powerful non tegra device work without problem.

Seems a known prolm -http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=35663

Edited by dbbloke, 28 September 2012 - 12:15 AM.

Dabogues

Dabogues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
So I'm trying to figure out what to do. Going to call Asus tonight (I procrastinated) to see if they will replace it or what---assuming they fixed the memory issue with newer runs of the N7. But worst case scenario, I need to return it...what the hell do I do to replace it? Anyone out there working on replacing their N7 with a comparable tablet? I like the idea of the Wikipad, but even beyond the steep $500 price, I really want a 7" tablet---not a 10" one. Sigh. So bummed out here. Why, Google/Asus, WHY did you have to leave out the SD slot?

rferrett

rferrett

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S3, Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@ralphferrett
I have sent mine off to Asus. Totally unusable. Can't see how they fix it TBH.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 Omega 6.0
Tablet: Nexus 7 MCR Jr5
Twitter: @ralphferrett
Google+: http://gplus.to/rferrett
URL: http://lunchtimelegend.co.uk

Dabogues

Dabogues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I have sent mine off to Asus. Totally unusable. Can't see how they fix it TBH.

I will be interested to hear about your progress. I STILL haven't gotten around to calling them. I think it officially counts as procrastinating now, because I don't feel like fighting with whomever answers the phone. What kind of experience did you have? Did they make you pay for shipping or anything?

springah

springah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Glad this has been picked up. Another fun benefit of slowdown due to slow memory speeds: try downloading a rented movie while surfing the web in Chrome. Expect it to be asslike.

i had this same experience with my TF: Prime and have since sold it - i honestly think its an Android issue :/

Colin Whiteside

Colin Whiteside

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
It's definitely not an Android issue, as my phones have been fine, it's an Asus-using-slow-storage issue. The Transformer series and Nexus 7 both score terribly in storage benchmarks.

Anyway, got mine swapped for a C90K unit in HMV, which is working fine for now but I'm in no rush to fill it up and find out.

pritsey

pritsey

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Devices:galaxy nexus, nexus 7
Looks like mine is slowing down for the second time damn it.....

rferrett

rferrett

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S3, Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@ralphferrett
Anyone know what the drill is if this keeps happening? Hopefully they will have fixed mine when it comes back but if not I'm gonna try for a refund and buy something else.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 Omega 6.0
Tablet: Nexus 7 MCR Jr5
Twitter: @ralphferrett
Google+: http://gplus.to/rferrett
URL: http://lunchtimelegend.co.uk

Colin Whiteside

Colin Whiteside

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Anyone know what the drill is if this keeps happening? Hopefully they will have fixed mine when it comes back but if not I'm gonna try for a refund and buy something else.

Two priests, one old and one young...

Seriously though, factory resetting it might help in the short term but it's down to Google now to patch it.

dbbloke

dbbloke

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I did a factory reset and it started to hang about 15 minutes later. I even made a video just in case. yeah, gonna have to try and return this week.

Colin Whiteside

Colin Whiteside

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
The latest OTA will apparently fix this issue when it arrives in the UK. Should hit in the next couple of days.

Dabogues

Dabogues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

The latest OTA will apparently fix this issue when it arrives in the UK. Should hit in the next couple of days.

Colin, do you have a link confirming that? This would be an enormous relief (and you can bet the very first thing I'm going to do after the update is nearly max out the storage).

dbbloke

dbbloke

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
So... Just got off the phone with google.Interesting read but...

Bottom line, It's either a software issue or it's a screen hardware issue.

So they said go to apps, all and uninstall pinyin updates.
Then diable pinyin keyboard
reboot device

I told them about the screen unlock fixing it and they gave me the additional info.
When you power off the screen/device it powers off the screen and resets it. Also it resets the pinyin bug. So it's hard to say if you have a screen unlock issue if it is dodgy screen (they told me its this) or a software thing.

Than we got into a discussion about my right to get a refund period over. i said in the uk we have the sale of goods act etc.... and if its faulty (probably is) then you have a year to get a refund from the person you bought it from. they didnt like this!!! Anyhow, I told them the law and they said... right, see how you go with the pinyin thing and if its still screwed you will get through to a level 2 person (who will follow up anyhow) and argue about the UK laws with him. Really bad a company like google is stating you can only get a refund in 28 days not 1 year as per normal uk law. It'll be 2 years if the UK ever join the EU directive that says everything nowadays needs to come with a 2 year guarantee.
Anyhow, I try and lock this thing again :) Should not be so hard, but perhaps pinyin will fix it.

dbbloke

dbbloke

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
It's Hung again.
Ran antutu and google plus, did a few tabs in imdb in chrome and after 30 seconds it was unresponsive. Did the keyboard unlock and fine.
So it wasnt pinyin for me.
Phoned google back...
Hey, saw you spoke with my colleague.... i said it hung in under a minute. So they said, lets see if i can process your refund now. Anyhow, they could not after 3 minutes on hold and said a senior person would email me about refund.
So might take up to a week!! So now waiting. As for software fix, I guess if you dont have a screen with some hardware issue then maybe the update will fix. BTW my screen is perfect, no lumps or raised edges or anything suspiscious, not even a single scratch on the screen which all my other gorilla devices seem to have.

Edited by dbbloke, 11 October 2012 - 05:27 PM.

Colin Whiteside

Colin Whiteside

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Colin, do you have a link confirming that? This would be an enormous relief (and you can bet the very first thing I'm going to do after the update is nearly max out the storage).

http://productforums...WE/5rC-GykZo0YJ

mantelis

mantelis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:HOX, N7

http://productforums...WE/5rC-GykZo0YJ

Well the 4.1.2 update kicked in yesterday in UK. But this hasn't fixed the issue. My Nexus7 is still slow as snail. Run a Quadrant bechmark test after update and it scored around 3600 points in total, while my HTC One X gets 5800!

I've got around 2gb free space left on N7.

Will give a try for these steps over weekend:
If you're experiencing this issue and installing the update doesn't immediately resolve the it for you, I have a couple of recommendations. You can fill the device's memory up and then remove a few megabytes worth of data. Alternatively, you can reset the device (Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset) the tablet. After you've done either of these you should be able to re-fill the tablet's memory as much as you like without encountering this issue again.

Edited by mantelis, 12 October 2012 - 10:39 AM.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,349 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Mine definitely feels snappier post 4.1.2...!

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

Colin Whiteside

Colin Whiteside

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
Mine is definitely snappy as hell. Judging from the instructions to delete a few MB of files I reckon it was a TRIM issue then,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users