Best way to root/install CWM on Android 2.3.5?

Guest Sharkface

Guest Sharkface

Hi. I've just replaced my phone via warranty. My last Monte Carlo was Android 2.3.4 and I had no problems installing CWM and applying a custom rom, but I'm having difficulties with this new phone.

Have tried installing Unofficial Modaco CWM in this thread, which did not work. CMD runs, but then nothing happens, it just says: waiting for device (my phone never even reboots).

I was thinking about trying TPT Helper next (I've already got the final Atomic Mod on my SD card), but the thing that stops me is that my build number on the new phone is OUK_P743TV1.0.0B08. I don't even know if this is relevant, but I'm worried I will mess up my phone and I'll be stuck without any method of restoring a backup. I can't find a stock rom with this build version anyway. I know people say it is impossible to 'brick' a Skate, but does this still apply to a later model?

Can anyone suggest easiest/safest method please? Or point me in the right direction? I'd prefer to have CWM, but at the moment I'd just be happy just to have root access and lose the Orange crap, but I've tried a couple of rooting apps and SuperOneClick, but nothing works for some reason.

Incidentally, it's worth knowing that as of Sept. 1st, Orange are now dealing with all warranty claims themselves. My phone is over 9 months old, I had increasing dust under the screen, but was given the "Over 6 months old? then you'll need to contact ZTE" crap for a month, until yesterday... I rang up again and without any quibbling whatsoever I got a brand new phone via courier this morning.

Thanks for reading.

Guest Sharkface

Further to my original post...

Re. TPT Helper.

Am I correct in thinking (probably not!) that if I run the app and choose:

Create your own TPT -> Unchanged -> ClockworkMod (v4.014 or v4.015) I will now have Clockwork Recovery? Meaning, I can enter recovery, back up my stock rom and go ahead and install a custom rom? As long the custom rom has superuser permissions, I will be rooted unless I chose to revert back to stock rom via my backup.

Is this right or am I just confused?

Guest Sharkface

No, by flashing TPT all data is over ridden and removed, so you will have absolutely no ROM, and hence phone won't boot

Well now I'm definitely confused, I just read the following conversation in another thread:

You can install CWM via the TPT helper app on the market. Select "create your own TPT" and when it asks which version of clockwork you want to install, choose the first one (which is the orange version) It'll also ask you to select partition sizes and then it'll create your TPT, however you can just delete this from your SD card afterwards.

Keep in mind that if you follow TouchyAndalou's advice, you'll have to reinstall your rom because a TPT formats your phone's internal memory.

He doesn't have to flash the TPT, he can just delete it after getting the desired version of CWM on his phone. The TPT Helper app lets you install CWM when you create a custom TPT, so it's a simple way of installing/updating CWM.

From here:

http://www.modaco.co...a/page__st__280

Guest Redstarr1

You could try it, just create a custom TPT, don't run it and then try rebooting in recovery. I didn't know that would work either, but he's the guy who made that app so he should know :P.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sharkface

In case anyone's wondering, or has a similar issue...

I've finally got it sorted and am now happily running a custom rom. After trying everything and almost pulling out my hair in frustration (at one point I even considered re-installing Windows). As is often the case, it was something very simple. All I needed to do was to open Device Manager, find the relevant entry and: right-click--> 'update driver software'--> 'Search automatically for updated driver software' and that was it.

I would guess that Windows (7) just couldn't handle the sudden change from Android 2.3.4 to Android 2.3.5.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Edited by Sharkface