Photo

Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

kiwijunglist

kiwijunglist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300 (U8815)
Also after unlocking the bootloader i'm wondering if it is worthwhile to reverse the change and then get an unofficial unlock using adb. How common are the 3g restarts?

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts
It seems like not everybody who does the unofficial bootloader unlock gets 3G reboots but it's hard to tell as the info is so anecdotal.
Maybe see if you get them and if you do then go back and unlock the bootloader the official way. If not then you presumably don't need to.

Doofguy

Doofguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Hi there. I've followed this guide, and right now, I'm on the official b952 rom. I've been using it for a while just to get used to it, but now I want to try out a custom rom. I just want to know if it's possible to go back to b952 if I change my mind? According to the guide, you need a "recovery-flash-b952.zip" to do that, but apparently that link doesn't work any more. Googling the filename to try and find a mirror led me to this, so I'm just wondering if I could use that, instead?

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts
Yes - you can always force update a stock update.app - e.g. B952:

http://www.modaco.co...d/#entry2128104

You can also download stock B952 here if you have trouble with the split zip in that thread:

http://www.huaweidev...softid=NDcwMjk=

There are also other ways to get to this or other stock ROMs (e.g. CWP repack zips instead of original update.app files) but these threads cover one way.

Hope this helps.

Doofguy

Doofguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That helps a lot, actually. I'll probably stick with a custom rom once I find one that I like, but it's still nice to know that if I want to go back to stock b952, it's not a one-way-street thing. With the way the guide worded it, it seemed like I needed the recovery-flash version if I wanted to go back.

Thanks for the help!

wayne stokes

wayne stokes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well all going well untill i try to download "ClockworkG300.exe" as it gets blocked by anti-virus,

does anyone know where i can get this in a ".zip" file?

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

well all going well untill i try to download "ClockworkG300.exe" as it gets blocked by anti-virus,

does anyone know where i can get this in a ".zip" file?

Try doing a Save As in case the browser is trying to immediately execute the EXE. However chances are you'll need to temporarily disable your AV to complete the download. This happens a lot with such tools as they do look dodgy to AV tools. Even when they are zipped. Remember to switch AV back on once you have the utility downloaded.

Also - if you are following this tutorial then use the official bootloader unlock process rather than the one mentioned in this tutorial as it installs the (inherently unlocked) GB bootloader and that can cause problems (e.g. 3G reboots) on ICS.

http://www.modaco.co...guide-included/

Hope this helps.

Edited by dalyer, 05 August 2013 - 10:44 AM.

noobordumb

noobordumb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
after running bootloader.exe my huwei just boots up over and over again what should i do?

noobordumb

noobordumb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
It also had SuperSU not superuser or i accidently loaded bootloader.exe when i was suppose to launch RootG300.exe not the GingerbreadRoot.exe so please any way how to revive my new Huawei Ascend G300?

noobordumb

noobordumb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
My Phone does not have Clockwork Recovery installed as i was on the exact same step and i have IMEI Backed up

savagelyric

savagelyric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I used this guide when I got my G300 about a year ago, I *think* I just followed the sections to debrand but I can't remember - how can I find out what ROM I have installed (if any) and what version of ICS? (Sorry for simple question and shakey terminology!)

plewis1981

plewis1981

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Technoligy, F1 and Cycling
  • Devices:Moto G
  • Twitter:@plewis1981

Hi. I used this guide when I got my G300 about a year ago, I *think* I just followed the sections to debrand but I can't remember - how can I find out what ROM I have installed (if any) and what version of ICS? (Sorry for simple question and shakey terminology!)

All of the information about the ROM you are currently running is in the about phone section of the settings menu.

To fined out if you have stock recovery or CWM power off you phone then power on whilst holding volume up.

Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, therefore I am perfect :)

If I have helped you PLEASE Press the +1 button
and don't forget to push the Dev's +1 buttons to.

lobespear

lobespear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:G300

hi, i'm having problems running RootG300.exe (to re-root after upgrading from GB to ICS). when i launch the executable i get:

"the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

i'm on windows 7 64-bit. i searched but didnt see anybody else having this particular problem, strangely. i'm downloading from here:

http://huaweig300.co...ws/RootG300.exe

is there a 64 bit version i should be using?

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Runs fine for me on Win7 SP1 64 bit...

Are you sure that it downloaded OK and wasn't either corrupt or modified by security/virus checker software?

lobespear

lobespear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:G300

Runs fine for me on Win7 SP1 64 bit...

Are you sure that it downloaded OK and wasn't either corrupt or modified by security/virus checker software?

this is the file size reported by right-clicking the exe (downloaded multiple times to make sure its not corrupt):

Size: 91.5 KB (93,733 bytes)

Size on disk: 92.0 KB (94,208 bytes)

i'm on win7 SP1 64bit. 

i'm also attaching it here (zipped up). 

Attached File  RootG300.zip   23.49KB   0 downloads

does it seem corrupt? (i've actually rooted ok now using the other method explained in the

"How to root your Huawei Ascend G300 (for Windows, Mac and Linux) " thread, so this is just for the sake of understanding what has gone wrong).

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

My RootG300.exe which runs is 1.75MBytes so it looks like your download was truncated/corrupted. 

Might be a malware/virus checker interfering with the download because utilities like these can look suspicious (e.g. like rootkits) to security software.

dentona

dentona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Dell laptop

Please help! I have been considering rooting my phone for the first time, but have been putting off trying because it sounded very complicated. But I saw your oh so easy instructions and decided to take the bull by the horns.

However, I have downloaded ToolBox5iromV1.0.4.2.apk to my G300 but cannot install it. When I tap it, it just takes me to my browser and then does nothing more.

I thought everything was going too well!!!

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Did you enable installation from "unknown" locations?

If not then Android will only let Play Store install apps.

In any case you only really need 5irom if you are going to change your IMEI and you really should avoid any guides that suggest that in my opinion. In which case you don't need 5irom. :)

Also - don't follow this tutorial in full - particular not the bootloader unlock part.

And definitely don't try to unlock the bootloader if you have GB installed. You need stock ICS.

For bootloader unlocking refer to this this tutorial:

http://www.modaco.co...guide-included/

And maybe these steps will help:

http://www.modaco.co...s/#entry2177051

Personally I found it easier to just revert to the GB bootloader and baseband and use a GB ROM (CM7 right now but superslim and AtomicMod before that)

http://www.modaco.co...-from-recovery/

Hope this helps.

Edited by dalyer, 19 December 2013 - 11:15 PM.

lnvbovo

lnvbovo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:g300+

Fantastic guide! Thanks. I have a g300+ which seems to be a g300 with extra frequencies.

Everything up to page 5 step 17 works fine. But here I get an "upgrade failed".  The 'middle update" troubleshooting step doesn't help either.

Does baseband refer to the modem firmware? If so it makes sense why the upgrade is failing.

Anyone get a g300+ working?

Also, https://www.ozbargai....au/node/119537 says G300 bootloader unlocks may brick G300+'s. Could I just get an unlock code from the carrier and skip the bootlader step on page 6?

Can't seem to find much info specific to the G300+'s

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Parts of this tutorial are not recommended any more - e.g. bootloader unlocking.

Try this instead:

http://www.modaco.co...s/#entry2177051

I suppose you could call the baseband the modem firmware although the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) might also be termed that?

When it comes to baseband there are only two possibilities - GB/109808 or ICS/2030.

I don't know much about G300+ versus G300. Is it the Oz/South America version or something with additional frequencies? If so then be careful which ROM/RIL you flash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users