Photo

Explained like you're 5: Install custom ROMs from scratch, install the official ICS update, root & more

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

Xalexalex

Xalexalex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Htc Hero
Links above aren't working for me either, I'm sent to a page that says "Virus Download Blocked".
Is there a mirror for those files?

siqass

siqass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Can someone reupload re root files? as it does not work and instead of download it diverts it to https://one.ubuntu.c...fHWRtdrVEjmsTYT

beggin

beggin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Can someone reupload re root files? as it does not work and instead of download it diverts it to https://one.ubuntu.c...fHWRtdrVEjmsTYT

The downloads are working fine for me. Which one are you trying to download?

Xalexalex

Xalexalex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The downloads are working fine for me. Which one are you trying to download?

I tried all of them, none works.
Is it possible for those who downloaded them, to put them someplace else? (if this is ok with the owner, of course)

siqass

siqass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
all three leads to ubuntu page (RootG300.exe ClockworkG300.exe BootloaderG300.exe)
can someone please reupload?

beggin

beggin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Do these links work?

BootloaderG300.exe - http://ubuntuone.com...fHWRtdrVEjmsTYT
ClockworkG300.exe - http://ubuntuone.com...DWoqrb8AQIUVN5c
RootG300.exe - http://ubuntuone.com...9I4a5uu0xd70mue

Unfortunately I don't have another file host otherwise I wouldn't use Ubuntu One.

Xalexalex

Xalexalex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just don't get how some people can download those files, and some don't. The error I get is server-side, it shouldn't depend on the user xD

siqass

siqass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
can someone help and upload it somewhere reasonable, I just get:
Posted Image
can someone PM me and so i could ask to email files to me?
back to the stone age..

Edited by siqass, 15 October 2012 - 10:26 PM.

beggin

beggin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
http://www.mediafire...awdqy3z4tam7c3v

All 3 exe files in a zip. I am in the process of moving away from Ubuntu One, just got another server.

john_wayne

john_wayne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Hello everyone

Spent a couple of hours now trying to update my G300 from gingerbread to the ICS update using the guide - unfortuantly I must be only four years old as it does not work for me.

Rooted ok and superuser shows in the app list.

Followed the guide and got the 'update failed' error message.

Followed the troubleshooting guide regarding the mid upgrade - that says 'update successful and then the phone reboots as expected.

Copy the ICS rom to my Sd card again and follow the installation steps but I get the 'update failed' message again.

Tried to update my last phone which was an LG without luck as well - thanks for taking the time to read my first post!!

And for the expert advice that I see you all have.

siqass

siqass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the mirror beggin
you are a star

ClaXav

ClaXav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Ascend G300
Hello.
My phone is a mess. I tried every method of rooting the phone, but i cant seem to make it right.

Using the Unlock root 2.4.2 and trying to root the program says "Your deviec is already rooted. Do you want root again?" so i rooted again, but still no superuser app, I unrooted using the same program, rooted again and it still says the devive is already rooted.

In previous atempts with unlockbootloader.exe in the comand prompt i could see the script running and almost at the end, it says "write: No space left on device". I dont know if this is normal.

I tried everything.

Can anybody help?

wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:huawei ascend g300
First off, thanks for an amazingly clear and understandable guide. I'm not in my first flush of youth, and this was soooo easy to follow!

All went well, until it came to the bit about finding a ROM to install.

Not really knowing what to look for, all I could find that looked ok was the infusion ROM. It installed no problems, but with the greatest respect to the ROM author, I am now wishing for the good old days of Vodabloat.

The original Android setup, as out of the box from Vodaphone, worked fine, albeit with stuff I was never going to use on the new giffgaff sim. Please bear in mind this is my first excursion into smart phones, so I realise I don't know what to expect.

Can anyone please tell me -

What are the advantages of the upgrade to ICS? I have just done it because it seemed sensible to do it at the same time as cleaning up the Vodaphone stuff.

Is there a better ROM? One that is just generic ICS, for example (is there such a thing?), ideally without the logo in the middle of the screen.

How do I populate the new ICS with basic apps, such as calendar, settings, etc? Sorry, I really know nothing about all this.

Grateful thanks in advance from someone who is clearly less smart than my phone!

Feahnor

Feahnor

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Devices:Zte Blade S, Huawei G300
  • Twitter:@jmphotos
I tried to root my ICS G300 (B944) and when i ran rootg300.exe it said

HuaweiG300.com

Beginning root process...

* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
error: more than one device and emulator

and then it closes. My phone has the 2030 baseband and the drivers are installed.

Smoking_Gun

Smoking_Gun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:huawei ascend g300
Well..

HUAWEI ascend g300
Build no B892
Baseband 109808
Windows XP - updated drivers

Trying to upgrade to ICS B936

I have followed all the ( Great ) instructions on how to upgrade to ICS but when I come to extract the file in section 5 from the b936 update link I get a message "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".
I have followed all the instructions fine up to this point.
I the tried another link Which worked & produced a zip file.
When this was extracted it produced two folders , META-INF & SYSTEM.
I copied the SYSTEM folder & did the software upgrade but got a message saying the upgrade package is not detected.
I copied the update app in but still no joy.
What am I doing wrong ?
Maybe I should ask a five year old to help me (lol).

beggin

beggin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Hello everyone

Spent a couple of hours now trying to update my G300 from gingerbread to the ICS update using the guide - unfortuantly I must be only four years old as it does not work for me.

Rooted ok and superuser shows in the app list.

Followed the guide and got the 'update failed' error message.

Followed the troubleshooting guide regarding the mid upgrade - that says 'update successful and then the phone reboots as expected.

Copy the ICS rom to my Sd card again and follow the installation steps but I get the 'update failed' message again.

Tried to update my last phone which was an LG without luck as well - thanks for taking the time to read my first post!!

And for the expert advice that I see you all have.

That's weird. Try doing a factory reset on your phone through the Settings, and then try again.

b4da55

b4da55

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
The mid package should be used with phone off. Force upgrade that first than try update.app straight away.

beggin

beggin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

First off, thanks for an amazingly clear and understandable guide. I'm not in my first flush of youth, and this was soooo easy to follow!

All went well, until it came to the bit about finding a ROM to install.

Not really knowing what to look for, all I could find that looked ok was the infusion ROM. It installed no problems, but with the greatest respect to the ROM author, I am now wishing for the good old days of Vodabloat.

The original Android setup, as out of the box from Vodaphone, worked fine, albeit with stuff I was never going to use on the new giffgaff sim. Please bear in mind this is my first excursion into smart phones, so I realise I don't know what to expect.

Can anyone please tell me -

What are the advantages of the upgrade to ICS? I have just done it because it seemed sensible to do it at the same time as cleaning up the Vodaphone stuff.

Is there a better ROM? One that is just generic ICS, for example (is there such a thing?), ideally without the logo in the middle of the screen.

How do I populate the new ICS with basic apps, such as calendar, settings, etc? Sorry, I really know nothing about all this.

Grateful thanks in advance from someone who is clearly less smart than my phone!

ICS is meant to be faster and better than Gingerbread. If you want a generic ROM, just install the official Huawei ROM here. (click "
I want to install the official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update").

As for Settings, you can access it by sliding the notifications down and clicking the Settings icon (the icon next to the date in this screenshot.)

The official ROM will come with all the basic apps. If you want to use a custom ROM with official apps, flash gaaps as shown in the guide.

Edited by beggin, 23 October 2012 - 08:29 PM.

beggin

beggin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Well..

HUAWEI ascend g300
Build no B892
Baseband 109808
Windows XP - updated drivers

Trying to upgrade to ICS B936

I have followed all the ( Great ) instructions on how to upgrade to ICS but when I come to extract the file in section 5 from the b936 update link I get a message "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".
I have followed all the instructions fine up to this point.
I the tried another link Which worked & produced a zip file.
When this was extracted it produced two folders , META-INF & SYSTEM.
I copied the SYSTEM folder & did the software upgrade but got a message saying the upgrade package is not detected.
I copied the update app in but still no joy.
What am I doing wrong ?
Maybe I should ask a five year old to help me (lol).

Create a folder called dload on your sdcard and put update.app in it.

beggin

beggin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I tried to root my ICS G300 (B944) and when i ran rootg300.exe it said

HuaweiG300.com

Beginning root process...

* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *

and then it closes. My phone has the 2030 baseband and the drivers are installed.

Search error: more than one device and emulator on Google. It appears there may be software on your computer that is causing this error. If it still doesn't work try another computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users