Upgrade to B936 adventures + CWM/IMEI issues

Guest e.miron

Guest e.miron

Hi. My G300 is from Voda Spain and from the category of those phones who does not like upgrade through dload folder. I was reluctant to use the IMEI procedure until now that ICS final have arrived thanks to Dazzozo and cutcut. I had the B891 version of the software.

Well, last night I wasn't able to resist and took the bite at IMEI. I think I have made at least 20 backups in different places,and PCs.

I was on GB, rooted so I can uninstall Voda crap and use some programs that required root access. CWM was there of course. Downloaded al necessary tools and programs from the wealth of links in the forum , read everything and started to perspire.....

After restoring the modified 5irom folders, restored the zero IMEI and upon reboot I had the CWM screen complaining something about E:Invalid argument.

I have rebooted several times, nothing, the phone won't boot into ROM, always entered automatically in CWM. Thought I had it bricked. Looking through posts here saw another version of the ''middle package'' and thought to give it a try, Dload folder and all ( being in recovery I was able to mount the sd card ) and surprise, this time worked and I had the green tick ''OK''

Put the full update Dazzozo kindly provided on dload folder and gave it also a try. Magically, before I knew it I had ICS on. Changed to my native language, settings ok everything brilliantly until I remembered that I have to restore my IMEI. Rooted and unlocked the bootloader without a single problem, Installed CWM restored my original IMEI and reboot..........CWM complaining about the same problem Invalid argument. So I thought that CWM interferes somehow with the reboot process and searched for a way to remove it. I succeeded in restoring of the stock recovery, Of course I tried another time the whole ¡¡middle package¡¡ bussiness but as before, it failed after unpacking.

After restoring the stock recovery, rebooted and it appeared a screen with the same lines as when installing the ROM, formatting cache, user data, etc I waited like 5 minutes and then when it has finished I rebooted and then something very strange happened.

The phone asked another time for all my data, like the first time when installing a ROM, accounts and all and then I had a different ICS than the one freshly installed. I mean it had another look, another wallpaper, and more important only 10 language packs, Spanish, English, German, French and a few more. And had notification toggles, the vodafone ugly ones :) , the unlocker from HUAWEI. And all Vodafone bloatware that you can think of. I guess it had more crap programs that on the day I bought it. And the IMEI was restored OK.

Because I did not want any of these, I re-rooted, unlocked, CWM and went with the flashable zip from CWM. Then I had the previous good ICS without anything of operator bloatware. But lost notification on the process.

Up until now everything is OK, only one problem. Previously, on GB, the 2 gb internal storage was pretty much unused, the gallery pics, downloaded programs, Navigon maps, Titanium backups, every thing went directly to the 8GB sdcard I have. Now I restored the backup and all went directly to the 2GB internal storage. I first noticed when after installing Titanium from Market it complained that it can¡t find any backups, then Navigon tried to redownload the maps and all.

I can't figure where is the problem.

For the moment I moved everything on internal card, but is near full and wonder what will I do when it will be filled.

So to resume a little, it seems that the dload update won't work without first zeroing the IMEI and that somehow CWM interferes with the reboot process after restoring the IMEI backup.

Also, restoring the IMEI also bring some unwanted problems like dissapearing language packs and lots of bloatware from the Vodafone.

Guest thepolodoc

do a full wipe and it should work again. Mine had this issue and I just done a full wipe/factory reset on CWM and you might as well do the other stuff for good measure so wipe cache, dalvic and battery

Guest elperroderoke

The IMEI backup is not "only" Imei, it includes more things, that are restored. So if you did de backup on official Vodafone B991 once you restore it the phone will be Official Vodafone Phone. So when you erase the IMEI, you don't erase just the Imei and your phone is not VF anymore. That is the reason when you flashed the B936 it was "Clean", because your phone was not VF (the "VF things" are there but just for VF Phones). So once you restored the Imei, your phone was VF again and all the "VF things" appear.

Your "mistake" was to install the recovery CWM before restore the Imei (you need root, but not CWM, to backup and restore), because whe you restore it needs to do a Wipe/data factory reset, automatically, but this "order" is for the stock recovery, and the CWM doen't know what to do with this "order", thats the reason it complains about "invalid argument".

Please give feedback about how the U8815N (Spain VF Phone), works with this ROM, and if NFC is working. You know a lot of people are desperated to upgrade to ICS, and I think you are the first "brave" to do what is needed (erase / restore IMEI = Kill /back to life, the phone).

Por favor comenta como te funciona el U8815N con esta ROM y si el NFC funciona. Sabes que mucha gente está deseperada por actualizar a ICS y creo que eres la primera persona "valiente" para hacer lo necesario (borrar y restaurar el IMEI = Matar /resucitar el telefono).

Regards.

Edited by elperroderoke

Guest e.miron

Thanks for the info. I had to learn it the hard way :).

Until now it works brilliantly. But I have to do further testing. I also flashed Omega kernel and with 1228 or something in Antutu I have over 3500 score, where stock GB gave me only 2300-2400. All my apps were restored ok from titanium backup, only Adfree refused and had to be redownloaded.

I ca't find any NFC related setting on the menu. Maybe because this ROM is for the version without NFC.

I have to try a few games to see how they run, but I had to go to work today and had no time to tinker with the phone.

It is nice to see camera flash and radio working on ICS because I have almost forgot about them with my Skate ( CM10-JB) who has none and surely won't ever have these working.

Thanks for the info. I had to learn it the hard way :).

Until now it works brilliantly. But I have to do further testing. I also flashed Omega kernel and with 1228 or something in Antutu I have over 3500 score, where stock GB gave me only 2300-2400. All my apps were restored ok from titanium backup, only Adfree refused and had to be redownloaded.

I ca't find any NFC related setting on the menu. Maybe because this ROM is for the version without NFC.

I have to try a few games to see how they run, but I had to go to work today and had no time to tinker with the phone.

It is nice to see camera flash and radio working on ICS because I have almost forgot about them with my Skate ( CM10-JB) who has none and surely won't ever have these working.

Let me know what games run ok pls