Desktop charging stand

Guest TangerineTractor

Guest TangerineTractor

Here's one I made earlier...

Got it on ebay from the far east for £2.75 delivered. It's for a Galaxy SII/III. So the USB connector is the wrong way round. I just opened it up, and flipped the conenctor round, and it worked fine. I then stupidly fiddled with it and broke the connector, so instead I just used an existing usb lead, broke the plastic off the connector, and located that inside instead. Works brilliantly and looks good too.

post-236362-0-66494000-1347553948_thumb.

Guest TangerineTractor

The bottom just prized out with a screwdriver. The connector was on a stiff ribbon cable under a clamp. I removed the clamp and twisted the cable over, then put the clamp back on. It all fitted fine, but unfortunately I couldnt resist fiddling, and my clumsy hands then caught the connector and pulled a couple of the soldered connections off... so I just got a spare micro usb extension cable I had (could have used a charger I guess), clicked off the housing around the micro usb connector, and positioned it through the opening, sending the wire under the clamp. It stayed in position just fine, although I guess you could add a drop of superglue if you wanted.

Not dissimilar to the car holder I made, supergluing the charger into position to just drop the phone onto...

The bottom just prized out with a screwdriver. The connector was on a stiff ribbon cable under a clamp. I removed the clamp and twisted the cable over, then put the clamp back on. It all fitted fine, but unfortunately I couldnt resist fiddling, and my clumsy hands then caught the connector and pulled a couple of the soldered connections off... so I just got a spare micro usb extension cable I had (could have used a charger I guess), clicked off the housing around the micro usb connector, and positioned it through the opening, sending the wire under the clamp. It stayed in position just fine, although I guess you could add a drop of superglue if you wanted.

Not dissimilar to the car holder I made, supergluing the charger into position to just drop the phone onto...

Thanks for the info, Just ordered one myself for £2.39. Will report back once received and set up correctly :)

Guest TangerineTractor

OK, a couple more photos then - the inner workings - this is the final version, so uses my replacement usb cable rather than the original... as you can see, it's just a standard micro usb that I've taken the housing off the connector and put in position. It stays firmly in place when the unit is reassembled (might need a bit of cardboard or plastic as a spacer underneath to keep it firm). Of course, if you manage to reutilise the existing connector, this wouldn't be necessary.

Second photo is of the phone on the stand. Obviously I couln't take the photo on the phone, so it's been taken on an iPhone, which explains the crap quality.

The base itself is a bit slidy on my desk, a problem resolved with a bit of blu-tack.

post-236362-0-06107700-1347611036_thumb.

post-236362-0-31890100-1347611049_thumb.

Edited by TangerineTractor

Guest TangerineTractor

post-236362-0-09666600-1346839719_thumb.

This is my car holder, by the way... charger is superglued in between the adustable feet at the bottom, so the phone just drops in. It's this one, but you can probably get is somewhere else cheaper. Mine originally came as part of an O2 car kit. The key is the adjustable feet at the bottom that slide along, enabling you to "hold" the charger between them. I also span mine round, so the side pads are at the bottom, where they don;t impair access to the volume buttons. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_381889_langId_-1_categoryId_165452

Guest TangerineTractor

Same here

Rats! I should have bought half a dozen, converted them myself and knocked them out for a tenner each!

Rats! I should have bought half a dozen, converted them myself and knocked them out for a tenner each!

:P

...No reason why you still couldn't. I might even convert a few myself and put them back on eBay for 5-6 quid.

Thanks the the updated info and pics.

Edited by Russ_uk

• 2 months later...

:P

...No reason why you still couldn't. I might even convert a few myself and put them back on eBay for 5-6 quid.

Thanks the the updated info and pics.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dock-Cradle-Charger-Adapter-Base-Holder-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-S2-SII-i9300-i9100-/190755806463?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item2c69ee9cff

you couldn't even be bothered to convert them or use your own photos :D

Guest TangerineTractor

Do these not put strain on the phone's port?

No, it's quite a tight fit at the back.

Thing is, you're used to stands with loads of empty unused space around them.... ;-)

Guest ChrisPNE

No, it's quite a tight fit at the back.

Thing is, you're used to stands with loads of empty unused space around them.... ;-)

Haha :)

And I won't argue with you - you'd know all about it being tight at the back. ;)

• 5 months later...