G300 being discontinued?

Guest toge64

Just noticed amazon aren't stocking it anymore... have vodaphone given up on it now then?

edit: changed title to proper english

Edited by toge64

It's still there for ordering on Vodaphone UK website.

Maybe some stockists just clearing a bit of shelf space for those new overpriced Apple thingies (which, at those prices, will likely stay on the shelves).

looks like they are withdrawing it.

expansys uk are taking pre orders for the g330 now .price tba .have seen it about 155 so will wait and see due to launch 25th october

But there must still be a very good market for decent <£100 phones, why would anyone withdraw the best one?

Maybe if they manage to produce a successor with a lower bill of materials

Maybe the deal vodafone had for it to exclusive has expired so the next batches will be other networks or g330.

Yeah it was. The initial deal was for Vodafone to have the G300 exclusively for 3 months. Not sure if anything similar is in place for the G330 though.

The G300 is old technology now. People that are into modding will morn the loss of the phone from shelves but you all own this phone anyway. The average user won't care. They want the best possible phone for under £100 and the networks want to offer the phone. For £100 you can buy the Xperia U with much better specs. £150 and you can buy the Acer Gallant Duo. £200 and you can buy the ZTE Grand X.

Technology moves on. New phones go obsolete scarily quickly and your new toy is out of date the moment you buy it. But that's life in the world of tech. Don't be worried about the next big thing and enjoy what you currently have. Your phone isn't going to stop working in the next week.

Guest ScutulatusCrotalus

It's not a big surprise that support G300 is now being discontinued. It would not be a surprise, if some countries won't get an ICS upgrade, because all focus now goes to G330 and newer models.

Guest davidsmonkeyroost

I've been told that it is now discontinued at Tesco

Who told you this? Courtesy of a friend who works in Tesco (who doesn't know if they are discontinuing it or not) - Whilst it is possible that Tesco is discontinuing the G300 with their phone shop range change in 2 weeks, they are planning on getting more in from the supplier to go to the stores (not Tesco Direct). Normally you don't order more stock in for a product you are discontinuing so close to the new range. I say normally but there are always exceptions.

Who told you this? Courtesy of a friend who works in Tesco (who doesn't know if they are discontinuing it or not) - Whilst it is possible that Tesco is discontinuing the G300 with their phone shop range change in 2 weeks, they are planning on getting more in from the supplier to go to the stores (not Tesco Direct). Normally you don't order more stock in for a product you are discontinuing so close to the new range. I say normally but there are always exceptions.

One of the phone shop staff in Tesco told me it was discontinued and they wouldn't be getting any more in when I went in to try and get one with the £30 of shopping offer.

Also someone else mentioned it was being discontinued in one of the other threads on this forum (not sure which one now) - I think that they were refused the £15.00 offer as it didn't apply to discontinued phones, only current ones

Edited by nsmacd1