Weekend Project: Make / save money with your phone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

After improving your battery life and getting you printing, it's time for another Weekend Project. This weekend i'm showing you some ways to make (and save) money with your phone.

Let us know how you get on with this weekend's project, particularly if you have any tips of your own. :)

Earn money (and save money) - check in with Quidco

Quidco, one of the UK's biggest cashback sites, will pay you to check in at certain stores around town! Not only that, the app will also give you instore cashback at some large retailers as well as offering discount vouchers at a number of locations!

Download from the Play Store

Earn money - collect data for Navizon

Navizon is a service that has been around for many, many years which provides positional information using cell and wifi data rather than GPS. In order to build up their database, they'll pay you just for walking around automatically logging the cells and wifi access points you come across! It works fantastically well and you can earn extra if you introduce your friends.

The Navizon app itself also lets you keep track of friends or family on a map should you wish!

Save money - use VoucherCloud / MyVoucherCodes.co.uk

VoucherCloud and MyVoucherCodes.co.uk are two of my favourite voucher apps (for the UK). Don't buy anything (particularly in a restaurant / fast food) without checking them first. I particularly enjoying getting my free muffin when I buy a coffee all thanks to being a phone geek. :D

Download from the Play Store - Vouchercloud and Vouchercodes.co.uk

Save money - check prices with Google Shopper

If you're about to buy an item in store, Google Shopper is priceless just for checking how much cheaper (inevitably!) you can get it online. The in built barcode scanning functionality works great for instant lookup. The 'beep' sound is very satisfying too. :D

Download from the Play Store.

Save money - use a TasteCard

A tastecard is a discount card which gives you savings at over 3,500 restaurants across London and the UK. A lot of them are chain restaurants (Pizza Express, Ask and the like) but if you eat at those, you can't knock 50% off, 2 for 1 savings etc.! A handy Android app helps you find places to use it.

A tastecard is normally £79.99 but generally speaking you can hunt round for a voucher code to grab a subscription for £29.95... which pays for itself in no time in my experience. A free 1 month trial is also available.

Save money - buy apps when they're on sale with AppSales

Apps quite regularly go on sale, but it's easy to miss the opportunity to pick them up at a bargain price. AppSales keeps track of market pricing and lets you know if there are discounts to be had!

Download from the Play Store

Get free stuff - Install the Amazon Appstore

Free paid apps are good right? Install the Amazon Appstore (now available in the UK and the US) for free apps every day! Some are good, some are not... today's app is Tetris. Not bad right?

Download from Amazon UK or Amazon US

Click here to view the item

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.