Who...

Guest Frankish

Guest pjcarrmole

I've got one, and it's remarkable for the price. When you consider Acer's previous woeful efforts (I'm sat opposite a Liquid MT which was dreadful), it's staggering how well the dual sim works and how elegantly/simply it's implemented. Two line running simultaneously on one phone, the ability to select which carrier does the data connection, the abilty to choose simply which line to call from when dialling or pre-define which line on a contact to contact basis... all work beautifly. Other than that, pretty much vanilla ICS and just a few bits and bobs added, none of which are very bloaty (I like swype, so I'm pleased about having it unlike Paul). The sound is one of the best I've had on a phone, going way back to my Nokia N82 whoich as LOUD. The screen looked rubbish at first but was set to a very low brightness, once I changed it was pretty good although struggled a bit outdoors. The camera is ordinary though. One thing, the battery life is pretty poor but it seems that ACer have set it to Performance Governor, d'oh! That combined with running two sims made it a battery drain but I hear that Paul has root, so I will look forward to trying it sset to Ondemand, and see what the battery life is like. As for build quality is very soild with a good feel in the hand, and similar dimensions to SGS2 that's got the Samsung extended battery, a nice size for me. For anyone with a work phone it's like the holy grail... I'm tempted to move from my SGS2 (running Siyah Kernel and Jelly Bean) to this. And after work, I just turn off my work phone and run the one line as per usual... lovely stuff... ALL phone manufacturers should look at this implementation of dual sim and add it to their handsets in the future.

Edited by pjcarrmole

Guest FrankieADZ

I have to admit;im really tempted by the Duo version. got a PAYG sim and some cheap 3 3G sims....

going to wait for Pauls review and see what happens root wise and that :)

Guest pjcarrmole

Root has been achieved, I'm just waiting for Paul's neat and tidy package to turn up on here! And bootloader is unlocked too apparently :)) Compared to the Huwaei G300 this beats it as the pound for pound best value phone at the moment imho... and I did rather like the G300.

Guest Ronald Hummelink

I have this phone on my shortlist to replace my blade. Same for my GF who quite fancies the dual sim feature as well!

Would be awesome if this phone gets a similar level of attention as the blade has regarding custom roms / cyanogenmod, but I totally lack the knowledge to contribute to that so I cannot complain, can I?

What's peoples opinions about GPS performance? The only review I could find online suggested that there may be issues with reception. Well AFAICT it suggests that, the translation isn't too good. But if GPS is OK I am very tempted.

Guest FrankieADZ

with the bootloader being already unlocked I just hope someone ports over ClockworkMod soon as they can then :)

i was thinking of getting a SG2....but this is appealing to me for some or known reason...

Edited by FrankieADZ

I have one arriving on Monday.

For me it was a urgent VFM replacement for a broken Galaxy S - just happened to come across it on the day. However, I'm certainly expecting great things for not a great deal of money. Now it is rooted, it really could be a perfect replacement! I'm no power user, but do enjoy playing around with the technology.

I shall add some more comments after Monday.

Very happy with mine. I pre-ordered from Expansys so have had it a couple of weeks. Best phone I've had having upgraded from a HTC Desire.

btw- I've no problem with GPS at all.

I think the most important thing is to compare this with the G300 as a lot of people like me are slightly disheartened by Huawei/Vodaphone's lack of support

I love how refusal to fix damage caused by the user & not having the official ICS update out RIGHT THIS MINUTE = lack of support.

I love how refusal to fix damage caused by the user & not having the official ICS update out RIGHT THIS MINUTE = lack of support.

they promised a lot of things huawei and haven't delivered. of course i'm peeved. and what user errors? i've actually mostly been supportive of huawei until this post.

Guest adrenalize_

What's peoples opinions about GPS performance? The only review I could find online suggested that there may be issues with reception. Well AFAICT it suggests that, the translation isn't too good. But if GPS is OK I am very tempted.

The GPS is fine on mine - took about a minute or 2 the very first time I tried and that was just out a window. Using the GPS again a little while later got a fix in seconds.

Guest adrenalize_

lovely stuff... ALL phone manufacturers should look at this implementation of dual sim and add it to their handsets in the future.

Whilst I like the ability to choose default for data etc - I much prefer the dialler and messaging on the HTC Desire V dual sim. You get two call buttons on the dial screen and two send buttons on the text screen - you just press the one you want without a popup menu and having to press again. Would be great if someone could hack this into a rom.

I think the Huawei G500 pro (dual sim and similar specs but dual core CPU, front camera and 1930mAh battery) which looks like a similar implementation of ICS and dual sim has two call buttons.

I've got one on the way and will have to see which I keep - although there is no root and google framework on it yet. 'tis a bit more money as well @ ~ £175

anyone know when Paul's review of it will hit?

I send him a tweet because I was a bit impatient to read his review. His answer was : "In progress!". I bet it's a lot of work to write a review so, let us be patient (more than I was :D )