BBC iplayer and Adobe AIR on x86 devices

Guest punjabi

Hi guys

I'm not sure if you guys have been following the developments on BBC iplayer but now they have standardised the format for mobile devices on Android. This has caused iplayer to be incompatible both on the BBC iplayer website as well as not having an app for x86 devices. This is a major downfall for me personally!

I thought we'd have better playback with the developments from BBC but it has caused even more problems!!!

The main issue is due to Adobe AIR not being compatible with x86 processors!!!!! Aaaaargh!!!!!

Can anything be done....?!

But I've checked up and read this response to a forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/838875?tstart=0

Also it's not showing as a compatible mobile device on their website:

http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tech-specs.html

When I tried downloading AIR from google play it shows as incompatible....!

Edited by punjabi

Well, if we don't get Adobe AIR to change their mind about compatibility with x86 devices then we'll be left out in the cold with developments like the new BBC Media Player...

It is compiled for Armv7 like flash player, so it cannot work on x86 unless compiled for x86. If it works on armv6 it should work on x86, but it is does not(apart the Armv6 hacked vesion), which is why abode flash player in market in incomapitible for us as it is Armv7. How intel got an x86 version I do not know, I assume Abode done it for intel or intel recompiled it themselves, so if someone has contact with intel they could be asked, probably be waste of time going to abode about it.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Will ICS make any difference to this???

Can't see why it would. If it's compiled for Armv7 then nothings changed. Performance in a browser should be better perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest punjabi

I've just watched a full episode on BBC iplayer. It works very well, not as good as my iPhone 4S mind you but it's getting there... I think with another update or two well be up to scratch with iOS.

There's no need to install Adobe AIR for iplayer, it just installs its own with the player ( I read that somewhere).

Hey can't wait for the Jelly Bean update then the iplayer will really shine I've heard.

Guest glossywhite

Watching too much TV on a 'phone is bad for your eyes... which is why I bought a tablet... WITH Flash, out of the box. See, there's a simple solution to every "problem".

Guest punjabi

I looked Wi-Fi direct up on Wikipedia And I found that its Really something to do with directly connecting with another phone Via Wi-Fi Without the need to connect to A router.

Guest BlueMoonRising

I looked Wi-Fi direct up on Wikipedia And I found that its Really something to do with directly connecting with another phone Via Wi-Fi Without the need to connect to A router.

http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-and-learn/wi-fi-direct :-

"displaying those pictures from a portable device to a monitor or TV screen"

http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/wi-fi/wi-fi-direct-what-it-is-and-why-you-should-care-1065449 :-

"Wi-Fi Direct is part of DLNA, and Android too

In November, the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) announced that it was including Wi-Fi Direct in its interoperability guidelines, and Google has added Wi-Fi Direct support to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (for example it's in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus's networking options). DLNA says it "expects DLNA Certified and Wi-Fi Certified Wi-Fi Direct smartphones to grow strongly through 2016." That could be an awful lot of smartphones."

Presuming your TV is compatible(pretty sure our Sony is, but haven't tried it yet) you can connect without wires.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest punjabi

Well then, the BBC iplayer app has been updated. Now we can't watch any TV programmes on it because you need to have BBC Media player installed. Which isn't compatible with Intel x86 processors!!! Because of Adobe AIR!!

This is ridiculous... I can't have a going that wont play BBC iplayer... Any suggestions guys... Do you think Adobe or the BBC change their mind considering there are quite a few Intel based phones (coming) out now...?

Guest Simon O

The package file fails because it only contains native libs compiled for arm7a. It looks like the arm emulator only supports pre arm7 (this would explain why asphalt 6 shows as unsupported on the play store since it's arm7 only - excluding the demo version on our phones). Adobe Air is compiled for arm7 only.

Maybe the Intel ARM emulator will be updated to support arm7.. maybe. Better would be for developers to add x86 libs. It only takes one tiny command to be added to the build files. Adobe need to do this :(

Guest punjabi

The package file fails because it only contains native libs compiled for arm7a. It looks like the arm emulator only supports pre arm7 (this would explain why asphalt 6 shows as unsupported on the play store since it's arm7 only - excluding the demo version on our phones). Adobe Air is compiled for arm7 only.

Maybe the Intel ARM emulator will be updated to support arm7.. maybe. Better would be for developers to add x86 libs. It only takes one tiny command to be added to the build files. Adobe need to do this :(

So do I..... Is there any we can convince them to do this....?

Edited by punjabi