I had hoped to upgrade from B892 to B934 without using CWM by following the instructions on the various forum topics (did a lot of research) but it all seemed to go wrong.... My steps were:
- Root phone (B892) using r1-g300-superrecovery
- Perform the IMEI backup using ToolBox5iromV126.96.36.199.apk (and store backup files on PC). Did this just in case it all went wrong!
- Backup all data etc with Titanium
- Install B962 (official Huawei version, I think it's from Chinese site) using "press vol up / down and pwr" and let it install. OK
At this point, I had ICS 4.0.3 with baseband 2030. I also had a splashscreen with some Chinese writing and "3G WO" rather than Huawei splashscreen.
- I then flashed the vendor update file as recommended by replacing update,app on SD\dload with the update.app from the vendor folder.
This changed the boot sequence and added some more chinese verbage to the phone!
- I then replaced the dload folder on the SD card with the one from the B934 official Huawei update and tried to install this (using both software upgrade from phone and the vol+/- boot option., Both failed when it started to install the update.
So, looking a the forums again, the only way out seemed to be via Clockwork Recovery. So I:
- rooted and unlocked the bootloader using 'unlockbootloader.exe'
- Installed the Android SDK and put recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52s-hwu8815.img on to the phone via fastboot
- Flashed the stock (repacked) version of the B934 ROM and re-booted.
The phone is working fine but I have 3 questions / problems:
(1) Should the update process from stock B892 to B934 have worked without me needing to install CWM? I did the interim B926 step because of the faster data connection issue.
(2) How do I change the splashscreen back to the default Huawei one (which I quite liked),. I think I saw this on one of the forums but I can't find it anywhere.... (Searching for splashscreen has no results)
Edit - Found the answer to this (doh,search for splash screen) - http://www.modaco.co...-splash-screen/
(3) As per another thread, with this verison of clockwork, as soon as I plug the phone into USB or a charger and it's off, it boots into clockwork! This is really dangerous especially if one of my kids picks it up and starts pushing buttons! Is there a download option in the SDK that would disable this? I don't mind having clockwork on there as the data backup is really useful but booting into it as soon as the charger is connected is not ideal. Are there any other options like going back to a stock bootloader? Is this even possible?
Edit - found a post about this as well at http://www.modaco.com/topic/353528-clockworkmod-recovery-for-huawei-u8815ascend-g-300/page__st__120... I can confirm version CWM-184.108.40.206-u8815-fix.img fixed the issue with CWR booting when USB or charger is connected and phone is not powered.
Edited by ali40, 22 September 2012 - 01:23 AM.