Cannot root B940. Solved.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Briefly, from box updated to B888 using Storage --> update method (i.e. not forced). Yesterday used middle package and then installed B940, again, using the update via settings menu rather than forced update. All went well. Wanted to try other versions of ICS but couldn't root (applications reported no space in system) so wanted to revert to another version (either B934 or B936). Installed CWM and stupidly formatted everything (cache, system, factory reset, SD card...the lot). Put the dload folder in root of SD card but installation halts with pink bar at about 1/3 of way. Same for most others I try (except for one, which gets to 1/3 distance then pink bar simply resets and starts again.

So, I have access to CWM, but phone is not rooted and bootloader is locked, so can't install custom ROMS. Leaked Huawei ROMs via forced update (power on with both volume buttons held down) are my only option. None seem to work though. Even though middle package worked yesterday, if I try it now it immediately defaults to a pink progress bar of half length and nowt happens.

Think I'm a bit snookered. I did a Nandroid of both Gingerbread and ICS, but the ICS one won't restore (says bad MD5). Haven't tried GB one yet but I assume my baseband will still be 2030 so there seems little point, but will try shortly. I backed up my IMEI on Gingerbread but did not do so for ICS. Have not zeroed my IMEI or anything along those lines yet.

Is there any way to root/unlock bootloader from CWM or without a ROM running on phone?

Edit: managed to reinstall B940, but still no root access.

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

Guest bladebuddy

Try rehashing dload method of the Chinese ICS this one has worked for me and others on the forum.

If that fails try B940 I know its no good for you're needs but it might flash so at least you could use the phone.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Aye, the 940 flashed again no probs. I thought I had tried that, but maybe I didn't. Thank you for the idea, though. Back to normal. Any ideas how I can get root? It seems I need to clear out some system apps, but obviously can't do that without root.

According to the last post in this thread http://www.modaco.co...-possible-b940/

You can root with unlockbootloader.exe and then flash superuser from Play Store

==Comment from that thread by elperroderoke ====

Someone in HTCmania had the same problem. He has solved rooting with unlockbootloader.exe, BUT, once it complains about no space he has downloaded and installed Superuser.apk from GooglePlay (in this way is installed in /data not in /system/). He told "us" to come here and share the information with you, as you both had the same problem.

http://www.htcmania....75&postcount=33

Then he unlocked bootloader with unlockbootloader.exe and installed CWM.

Hope it helps you.

Regards.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it didn't work. All the text during the installation in CWM seemed to indicate all was fine, but SuperUser doesn't appear in the App drawer and Titanium Backup is still reporting no root access.

Edit: Sorry, Hogweed, this is in response to razzmataz1478. Will try the method you have linked to and update on success or otherwise.

Have you tried installing superuser direct from Google Play. You might have been able to update the binary but not the app itself so installing the app from Google Play is worth a try.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Bummer! No dice, I'm afraid. Bootloader and CWM have never been a problem, but just can't get root. Ran unlockbootloader.exe but that's not the one that complains about lack of space (I think that one was RootG300). Even so, have installed SuperUser from Play with an without first running the root batch files and neither worked. SuperUser is installed (although not visible from the app drawer), but Titanium Backup still reports no root access, as does the giffgaff APN app I am trying to use.

Thanks for the suggestions though. May have to resort to the [risky] zero-the-IMEI method to switch ROMs from here.

Try the middle package again but don't wipe everything first - it might work this time. Try going to B936.

But if you have CWM and unlocked bootloader why not just flash the B936 CWM repack?

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Try the middle package again but don't wipe everything first - it might work this time. Try going to B936.

But if you have CWM and unlocked bootloader why not just flash the B936 CWM repack?

Sorry, I possibly misled you. I thought the unlocked bootloader was required to install CWM, but from what you are saying I now suspect this isn't the case, in which case my bootloader is still locked. I tried flashing the Infusion ROM from CWM but it couldn't do it.

Which is needed to flash a ROM from CWM; root, unlocked bootloader, or both?

Guest elperroderoke

People are installing B940 from Recovery and rooting with the superuserARM.zip file, from CWM too. (I did)

I think people having problems rooting are the ones that are doing things in "mixing mode".

If you have recovery CWM installed, just do a Wipe data factory reset, then format /system and then install B940 from CWM and boot. Then forget about unlookbootloader.exe, just flash the superuserARM.zip from recovery CWM. Again I did and it worked and at least three more persons did in the same post just to try, and worked.

Use the unlookbootloader.exe and superuser.apk from GooglePlay just is you installed B940 from update.app.

Regards.

Edited by elperroderoke

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

People are installing B940 from Recovery and rooting with the superuserARM.zip file, from CWM too. (I did)

I think people having problems rooting are the ones that are doing things in "mixing mode".

If you have recovery CWM installed, just do a Wipe data factory reset, then format /system and then install B940 from CWM and boot. Then forget about unlookbootloader.exe, just flash the superuserARM.zip from recovery CWM. Again I did and it worked and at least three more persons did in the same post just to try, and worked.

Use the unlookbootloader.exe and superuser.apk from GooglePlay just is you installed B940 from update.app.

Regards.

Will give it a try. I didn't think I could flash ROMs in CWM. I tried installing Infusion earlier on having performing the wipes you mention and it wouldn't install. Perhaps it was a corrupted download or something. I'll try flashing another one.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Blow me; it worked! I installed the S3-themed one. When Infusion didn't install earlier I had assumed it was because you needed root/unlocked bootloader to flash ROMs in CWM.

Thanks to all for the help. Much appreciated.

Guest elperroderoke

Blow me; it worked! I installed the S3-themed one. When Infusion didn't install earlier I had assumed it was because you needed root/unlocked bootloader to flash ROMs in CWM.

Thanks to all for the help. Much appreciated.

No, that you need is root and unloockbootloader to install CWM, if you already have CWM the problem has nothing to do wiht root or bootloader, is because something is wrong (not rebooting recovery after wipes, not format system if needed, corrupted file...).

Regards.