New BBC Media Player APP

Guest RussellS

Guest RussellS

The BBC have released a new media player app for playing back iPlayer content without using Adobe Flash. So now when you browse the iPlayer website and select a video to play it now automatically launches the new media player app to play the video instead of playing it in the browser window using Flash.

However, when I try to play anything, the media player app launches but I only get audio and no video. I can't find any configuration settings in the new app and I've tried rebooting since installing the new app. iPlayer content used to work fine when using Adobe Flash.

Could someone try it on their G300 to see if it is just me. If you browse to the iPlayer website and select a video it will inform you that you need to install the new media player app and provide a link to the Play Store.

I'm running Infusion B05 rom.

Many thanks

Hmm. Won't work over 3g. Says I must switch to a wi-fi connction? Why BBC? I have sufficient bandwidth and data allowance.

EDIT After a bit of fiddling I managed to get the Desktop Flash version to play over 3g with Firefox pretending to be desktop firefox. Why on earth are the BBC barriing use of their new player over 3g when thy never banned Flash over 3g?

Edited by Hogweed

Guest RussellS

Hmm. Won't work over 3g. Says I must switch to a wi-fi connction? Why BBC? I have sufficient bandwidth and data allowance.

EDIT After a bit of fiddling I managed to get the Desktop Flash version to play over 3g with Firefox pretending to be desktop firefox. Why on earth are the BBC barriing use of their new player over 3g when thy never banned Flash over 3g?

...but did the new media player app work ok when on WiFi (or didn't you have access to a WiFi connection) and if so what rom are you on.

If you read up the thread you will see it worked fine for me over wi-fi on a GB ROM (specifically Modaco Gr2). I used to be able to play mobile Flash iplayer over 3g and wifi. Have submitted a complaint. BBC iplayer Help says iplayer is supported on Android phones but not tablets over 3g. That may be outdated help.

Further Update: Installed the iplayer app (never bothered before because the web interface was fine). Will let me play over 3g still. Just seems to be the mobile web interface that is broken on 3g. Great BBC - a new player and a new app installed to clutter my phone up further.

However apparently the BBC intend to release a new android iplayer app this week which will use their new player. What's the betting they break 3g play with that update?

Edited by Hogweed

Guest RussellS

If you read up the thread you will see it worked fine for me over wi-fi on a GB ROM

Sorry, I did read that post but I didn't realise it was yourself who posted it. I thought they were two seperate posts from different members.

Sorry again

It's ok. My first response was typed on the phone so it was very short and sweet :-) On a laptop now

EDIT: New player uses Adobe AIR runtime but is still a Flash stream apparently. I didn't have to download AIR so I presume it was packaged in BBC app. Might be worth manually downloading latest AIR runtime from Play Store if not working for some.

Edited by Hogweed

Just to get this off my chest I think Adobe, Google and the BBC need a damn good kicking. Especially Adobe after taking ages to get a good working Flash on Android phones, they then immediately kill it to appease the ghost of Steve Jobs. F*ckwits.

Guest RussellS

I've installed Adobe Air from the Play Store and it made no difference. I just get the audio and a black screen.

I would be interested to hear from anyone running ICS as to whether it works for them or not.

Guest runlevel5

I've installed Adobe Air from the Play Store and it made no difference. I just get the audio and a black screen.

I would be interested to hear from anyone running ICS as to whether it works for them or not.

just installed the new player and audio and video work. quality isn't that great and can be a little OOS. running B936 repack and connecting over wifi.

Guest RussellS

Can one someone up the apk please. I want to know if this will work with my skate on jb.

Where would I find it?

Never mind. runlevel5 beat me to it.

Edited by RussellS

Guest MickJack

Went to BBC iplayer, asked to install BBC Media Player app, install, return to BBC, select Doctor Who, plays - video & sound in both standard browser and dolphin browser, bit blocky now & again but has run everytime so far. Infusion 04

Edit: posted above, then a no video everytime, both browsers ! reboot and video back = par I suppose

Edited by MickJack

Guest RussellS

just install the iplayer app from the market after you get the multimedia app. seems to work fine.

At the moment the iPlayer app is still using Adobe Flash and isn't using the new media player. This week coming the BBC are releasing an update to the iPlayer app that will use the new player.

So, as it stands at the moment, the new media player app is only being used when browsing the iPlayer website and launching a video from there.

Ahh ok. play store would not let me dl the iplayer app until I had the multimedia app so I assumed it was a re packed Adobe air framework which I heard the new iplayer was based on.

Current version on Play Store is 1.3 released February 27, 2012

BBC say the new iplayer is due to be released this week. Think I will set iplayer to manual update until I check they haven't broken 3g playback in the app as they have with the web version.

The new media player app is currently rated 2.2 on Play Store with 259 "crap" one star votes out of 456 total votes.

Edited by Hogweed

B934, and the app works but I find the image quality a little smoother if I go to the BBC iPlayer site and select content from there.

Edited by Rico_89