Can you recieve and send things on nfc

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 16GB
Kinda, but nfc itself is very slow, and only designed for small transfers, like sending a contact or something.

Nfc is good for sharing settings, so two phones can communicate wifi direct settings to each other with nfc, and use wifi to send the actual data. I believe this is how Android Beam works, but I've yet to try it myself, so don't quote me on that.

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Kinda, but nfc itself is very slow, and only designed for small transfers, like sending a contact or something.

Nfc is good for sharing settings, so two phones can communicate wifi direct settings to each other with nfc, and use wifi to send the actual data. I believe this is how Android Beam works, but I've yet to try it myself, so don't quote me on that.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF
I might be wrong but is Android Beam not ICS only? In which case you'll have to wait for the update.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Good catch, sir.

As you can tell, I haven't used it. But playing with those nfc tags is rather fun :-)

dec1153

dec1153

Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Devices:Orange san diego
  • Twitter:@dec1153
Nfc tags work- how much and where did you get them

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
eBay, less than £10.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
All over Amazon as well. Not tried them yet but you need to make sure you get large capacity ones for anything more than the odd switch action.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

vermat17

vermat17

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, OSF
Kind of a noobish question, but is payment actually possible via NFC on the OSD atm?? And if so, does it have to be through Google Wallet??

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Kind of a noobish question, but is payment actually possible via NFC on the OSD atm?? And if so, does it have to be through Google Wallet??

It would depend on the seller having an NFC capable checkout, I have no idea how many(or if any) exist. Do you not link your DC or CC details to the phone for payments?

vermat17

vermat17

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, OSF
I've seen a fair number of NFC checkouts in my area, so that shouldn't really be a problem... As for card details, I have absolutely no idea :P

Edit: Done a bit of research on the mastercard site, and apparently you do just download the card payment details onto your phone

Edited by vermat17, 26 September 2012 - 06:16 PM.

Calloutman

Calloutman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:SanFransisco
Has anyone got NFC payments working? I'd like to try it out but I don't thing the OSD supports google wallet...

i am not a hacker

i am not a hacker

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade and Orange San Diego
I believe it does support it actually.it is on the orange ROM

Nexus 10
Orange San Diego

Calloutman

Calloutman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:SanFransisco
When I go on the google wallet website it shows me this... any ideas on how to fix this?

"Orange Intel Xolo_X900

This item cannot be installed in your device's country."

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
Google Wallet needs one of the patched apks but unless you are in the USA it's pretty much useless. Orange have their own NFC payments called Quicktap which is on the Orange ICS ROM. You need a special quicktap SIM to use this though which you can get by calling Orange up. There is no cost. Once you have the new SIM and set up the app you can add any UK debit card or any Barclays card including Barclaycard.

Roger Barnett

Roger Barnett

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:Pulse 8220, OSD
tags 've been considering buying some Nfc tags to put my OSD into various modes, eg bedtime, Car etc.
Can anyone recommend a particular brand? Ebay seems to be filled with either Sony Or mifare tags, although the ones in the image attached look quite funky.

Also, is there a particular app anyone recommends for doing the above? Attached File  Screenshot_2012-12-09-07-03-30.png   221.46KB   21 downloads

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

tags 've been considering buying some Nfc tags to put my OSD into various modes, eg bedtime, Car etc.
Can anyone recommend a particular brand? Ebay seems to be filled with either Sony Or mifare tags, although the ones in the image attached look quite funky.

Also, is there a particular app anyone recommends for doing the above?

Not tried NFC yet myself but I do believe you need the "higher" capacity ones. The lower capacity ones only allow a couple of commands before running out of space.

Roger Barnett

Roger Barnett

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:Pulse 8220, OSD
Does nfc use much battery? I'm considering using it to automatically turn blue tooth on when the phone goes in the car cradle, but if it uses more battery than blue tooth then no point really is there?

Thedarkphonetech

Thedarkphonetech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
Yes leave it on, it wastes no battery. I have kept mine on from day 1 and I haven't noticed my battery go like hell down ""!!!!

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
It's not going to cost you anything to find out one way or another anyway. Go for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users