NFC ON THE SAN DIEGO

Guest dec1153

Kinda, but nfc itself is very slow, and only designed for small transfers, like sending a contact or something.

Nfc is good for sharing settings, so two phones can communicate wifi direct settings to each other with nfc, and use wifi to send the actual data. I believe this is how Android Beam works, but I've yet to try it myself, so don't quote me on that.

Kinda, but nfc itself is very slow, and only designed for small transfers, like sending a contact or something.

Nfc is good for sharing settings, so two phones can communicate wifi direct settings to each other with nfc, and use wifi to send the actual data. I believe this is how Android Beam works, but I've yet to try it myself, so don't quote me on that.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Kind of a noobish question, but is payment actually possible via NFC on the OSD atm?? And if so, does it have to be through Google Wallet??

It would depend on the seller having an NFC capable checkout, I have no idea how many(or if any) exist. Do you not link your DC or CC details to the phone for payments?

Guest vermat17

I've seen a fair number of NFC checkouts in my area, so that shouldn't really be a problem... As for card details, I have absolutely no idea :P

Edit: Done a bit of research on the mastercard site, and apparently you do just download the card payment details onto your phone

Edited by vermat17

• 1 month later...
Guest Calloutman

When I go on the google wallet website it shows me this... any ideas on how to fix this?

"Orange Intel Xolo_X900

This item cannot be installed in your device's country."

Guest Simon O

Google Wallet needs one of the patched apks but unless you are in the USA it's pretty much useless. Orange have their own NFC payments called Quicktap which is on the Orange ICS ROM. You need a special quicktap SIM to use this though which you can get by calling Orange up. There is no cost. Once you have the new SIM and set up the app you can add any UK debit card or any Barclays card including Barclaycard.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roger Barnett

tags 've been considering buying some Nfc tags to put my OSD into various modes, eg bedtime, Car etc.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand? Ebay seems to be filled with either Sony Or mifare tags, although the ones in the image attached look quite funky.

Also, is there a particular app anyone recommends for doing the above? post-908908-0-44246600-1355037520_thumb.

Guest BlueMoonRising

tags 've been considering buying some Nfc tags to put my OSD into various modes, eg bedtime, Car etc.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand? Ebay seems to be filled with either Sony Or mifare tags, although the ones in the image attached look quite funky.

Also, is there a particular app anyone recommends for doing the above?

Not tried NFC yet myself but I do believe you need the "higher" capacity ones. The lower capacity ones only allow a couple of commands before running out of space.

• 5 months later...
Guest Roger Barnett

Does nfc use much battery? I'm considering using it to automatically turn blue tooth on when the phone goes in the car cradle, but if it uses more battery than blue tooth then no point really is there?

Guest Thedarkphonetech

Yes leave it on, it wastes no battery. I have kept mine on from day 1 and I haven't noticed my battery go like hell down ""!!!!

Guest Roger Barnett

It's not going to cost you anything to find out one way or another anyway. Go for it.

That is a good point; for some reason I did not think of that! :wacko:

However I would expect there must be some kind of extra battery use if it is constantly checking for nearby tags.

I have turned it on and will monitor battery stats over the next few days.....

Guest Thedarkphonetech

Get the Sony xperia ones, they have lots of memory and they're cheap. I got 6nfc official ones for £4.50. It is easy to setup too there is an official app

Guest Roger Barnett

Found these ones on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Sony-NT1-Android-NFC-SmartTags-Smart-Tags-Kit-for-Xperia-S-P-Sola-2-/150875136027?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item2320dbe01b

Are these the ones you bought? It says "suitable for Xperia S, Xperia P, Xperia Sol" in the description, but I guess that they should work on the OSD too?