How to root and install Google Apps on the Ascend D1 Quad

Guest brunes_007

Guest brunes_007

Having bought one of these from China, and having very little to noting written on this device so far, I had to figure a bunch of this out myself... so I thought I should share my findings with the community.

If you order one of these from China, you will find that it does not have the Google apps and utilities on it. So to get them on, first you will have to root it.

The first method I tried was via the recovery mode, which I determined you access by holding volume up + power until it reboots into it. However, you will find unfortunately that the recovery mode on this device is locked and it will only flash signed updates, so that method is out.

I tried a bunch more methods and exploits until I finally found one that worked - that was this Root_with_restore method on XDA. Follow the instructions in this thread and you will have rooted your device.

Now that my device was rooted, the next problem was how to install the Google apps. I downloaded the latest ICS apps from goo.im - but remember, you can not flash these. I tried installing ROM manager from the market and using that to flash CWM recovery, but that didn't work. What DID work, and what I ended up doing, was simply unzipping the gapps.zip onto my MIcro SD card, then (as root on the phone), copying the entire contents of the "system" folder from that SD card over the /system directory on the phone. After I did this, and rebooted, I now had all of the Google apps working!

I was able to add my account and install all needed apps from the market to make this phone really shine.

My next goal is to figure out how to get CWM working on this phone. I am doing a bunch of reading on the topic and might have something to report later this week.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChinaRon

I followed these instructions and they worked perfectly for me. I hope you can figure out how to get CWMR to work, otherwise we'll have to wait for an unlocked bootloader.

Guest Python69

I followed the instructions and they worked perfectly for me too. Today my phone got a new update. b120 but I could not install it. " Assert failed : applay patch check system/app/accauntagent.apk "

Somebody knows a solution on this problem?

Thanks!

Guest Python69

I figured out. I had to use the original firmware so I downloaded the original firmware from the huawei then I can use the b120 update then I rooting.

Guest brunes_007

RE the update - the problem is if you followed by instructions to install the Google Services, this update will not apply because of the changes in the checksums of some files. I am going to play with it this week to try to work-around.

EDIT: Removed this link I think it is flawed

I think this will allow us to modify the firmware update to work with Google services and then flash it without worrying about signing.

Edited by brunes_007

Guest bhagi108

I got my ascend d1 quad xl yesterday and haven't had any luck rooting it so I can install google apps, maps, play store etc.,

I tried the instructions at the website but came up with errors

http://redigua.com/how-to-root-huawei-ascend-d-quadxl.html#comment-35

I am trying this procedure to root my Ascend D1 Quad XL but am getting a “Permission denied” error

Can you help me figure out how to solve this error? thanks

C:\>cd evoroot

C:\evoroot>adb push root/unrevoked-forever.zip /sdcard/

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

failed to copy ‘root/unrevoked-forever.zip’ to ‘/sdcard//unrevoked-forever.zip’:

Permission denied

So I'm stuck right now. Can anyone help with the rooting? thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slayer_in2006

Well i successfully rooted my phone, but unable to install Google apps. I cannot copy the Gapps in phone/System directory....how can i achieve that.

A step by step guidance is much appreciated.

Guest Python69

Well i successfully rooted my phone, but unable to install Google apps. I cannot copy the Gapps in phone/System directory....how can i achieve that.

A step by step guidance is much appreciated.

Why don't use the new firmware? that is include the google apps

I found this program to root easily the Huawei D1 Quad XL. Only work in official ICS 4.04 though. I tried in beta Jelly Bean Emotion UI and root didnt work but in official ICS no problem at all. Just make sure you have drivers installed correctly (install Huawei Hisuite it might help) and exectute Genotools-D1Q.exe and click on Root button...wait a moment and the button will change to Unroot which means root applied succesfully. Close the program and you'll realize you have a cool icon called SuperSu lolz

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4jlv90eggyyh46/Genotools-D1Q.exe

Edited by weckl