Phone near bricked, help needed

Guest Ereptor

Guest Ereptor

@wrtease : More or less yes, I can get into CWM, but it lists the errors after almost every operation. Not to mention that for some reason the system itself doesn't boot, wether we tried to boot in the old system or the new, freshly installed Infusion one. I'd thought that the problem was with CWM itself, but since I can't even reflash any recovery via fastboot/adb, it doesn't seem to be the case.

@Hogweed : Nothing, the cache is empty. At least the directory is, since I can't mount it, so I don't really know what's going on in the cache. But if anything is working even remotely as it's supposed to, it should be empty anyway, since the first thing I tried was wiping the cache, to see if that solves the problem.

Edited by Ereptor

Guest Hogweed

So you don't get the error "no such file or directory"?

Also did you check the partition table and did it appear to be intact?

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Ereptor

The CWM version I use is v4.0.1.5. Not the latest and greatest, but it was the one listed in the guide, and we didn't feel the need to flash a newer one. At least until that dreadful day, when my friend called me that his phone is dead.

@Hogweed : Nope, the directory is there, but as I said, it's only the directory where cache would be mounted itself, since it can't be mounted. Or that's what I believe anyway, because when I try it writes "umount: can't umount cache: Invalid argument". Actually that's the exact same error as the one that I get when I want to mount it. Weird.

Edit:

I'm not sure how the partition table should look. It definitely doesn't look like a healthy one to me, but I might be wrong. If you haven't seen it, I posted it in one of my previous posts by the way.

Edited by Ereptor

Guest Hogweed

Someone may have fiddled with the default mounts or some related fiddling - at least that's what I'm starting to think.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest wrtease

have you tried another sdcard and load it with a couple of roms and a clockwork zip and see what happens.try installing any?

Edited by wrtease

Guest Ereptor

I tried it with another sdcard. I haven't actually flashed the rom that's on it yet, I'll check back when I'm done. One thing is sure: the roms and the recovery did look like they were flashed with the previous sd card, but the rom didn't boot, and the recovery didn't get updated at all. Not to mention, that I guess if the problem was with the card, then flashing with fastboot should work, but it doesn't.

Done, and the same: It installs successfully, but nothing really changes. (At least with the rom, I don't really think that it would be any different with a recovery)

Edited by Ereptor

Guest Ereptor

Sure, here's the output of mount:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)

tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)

/dev/block/mmcblk1 on /sdcard type vfat (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

Guest Ereptor

It's the card of my dad, the previous one was partitioned as fat32. But since I did that the recovery doesn't recognize it. Actually, it really is weird, I thought that it had to be fat/fat32, but it seems to be working okay, all the contents are there, and the flash seemed to be working either.

Guest Ereptor

If you want me to I can do that, but I'm afraid that it might not recognize this card anymore either. But then again, the phone is a bit more important than the chore of copying 200 Mb twice, so, give your command and I shall follow you to death, sir! ... God, I'd need some sleep.

Guest Ereptor

I have one somewhere, but I can't find it. Now I'm trying to use my sister's phone as an adapter, but Windows can be so annoying when it's trying to interact with a Samsung device. I mean c'mon, why can any Unix based OS just mount that freaking SD card, and why can't Windows do the same...?

Guest Ereptor

Okay, I tried again with a fat32 sd card, and to not that much of a surprise, it's the same results. I guess I'll just give it a day and see if Dazzozo could have spared some of his time on my problem, maybe he could come up with a solution. And if he can't, then I guess I'll just give the phone back to my friend, and see if he goes back to the costumer service and says that out of the blue it just broke, wether they give a new phone to him or not.

Guest tillaz

so, what exactly happens when you try to boot the phone after installing a rom?

if its because of the cache, i could give you a script that converts the cache to the sdcard or RAM at boot.

we used this on the zte skate so we could resize the cache and get more internal storage,

this could get the phone to boot up at least

Guest Ereptor

Well, when I try to boot the rom, it stops at the splash screen (the orange logo with the 3G and chinese mark). And that's it, it doesn't even begin the boot animation, it's just there, as if there wasn't even a rom installed.

Guest Ereptor

I tried to install the official ICS rom with the UPDATE.app, but at around 30% it stops. Or do I have to start with the downgrade? The 4kb looked too little, so I didn't risk running it and loosing the recovery and maybe even the bootloader for nothing.