What to upgrade to....little bit of advice

Guest mdemetri2

Guest mdemetri2

Hi

Lots of great information on here. I was planning to upgrade to ICS, I have a new G300 (U8815), running Android 2.3.6, baseband 109808, buildnumber U8815V100R001C02B892. The only thing I have done is upgrade the firmware and unlock the phone to allow my Orange sim. Whilst having a Voda sim in, it was not reporting an available software update.

I would like to upgrade to ICS, the impression I get at the moment from what I have read is there is no stable JB version - am I wrong?

Only thing is, I don't know whether to use a custom ICS rom or use the offical download I have (found on here, dl from Huawei).

I just need to find everything in one place, including the ROM, the guides I have read say find a rom 'here', and revert back to the modaco forum and I don't know which to dl. Quite simply, which guide should I use?

I did make some initial steps, and install the Windows XP drivers, first problem when I plug the phone, the PC doesnt even pick it up, nothing appears in My Computer......

Thanks for the advice in advance!

I used the B940 OTA repack a few posts down,as it didnt require root or cwm to install. Just downloaded the update.zip put the dload folder in the root of my sd card and used the update tool in settings.

It was easy and safe.

Guest mdemetri2

Great thanks, might just go with that, thank you. I don't what rooting does, or what the cwm abbreviation means. Not done this stuff before....

Guest b4da55

First off mate even though thete all different word wise all the guides on upgrading are much the same and id read most of them to familarise yourself with what things are and what they do. Google cwm to find out what it does. Also you need to flash the official update.app first if uou want ics.

Guest b4da55

Yes you can with official update.app put the dload folder in the root of the sd card and go to software update in options. No need to root phone.

Ok, I can do that. But on this post: http://www.modaco.co...3-20-09-update/ it makes it sound like I can download the update, extract to an SD card and do an update.

Am I wrong? No need to root whatnot?

The ROM you linked is a Clockworkmod (CWM) installable zip. You need to have CWM installed before you can use that.

You need to do an official ICS update first to update your baseband. I would recommend using the b936 update as you are on b892 at the moment. I know this update paths works as I helped my nephew update his G300 yesterday from b892 to b936.

Edit: You can find the b936 update at Dazzozo's mirror here: http://g300.thebronasium.com/huawei/ota/V100R001C02B936.zip

Edited by Cyda

Guest mdemetri2

Ok, so I downloaded that, the zip contained META-INF (folder), system (folder), boot.img. I extracted and copied these to the sd card, when I go to update it says "upgrade package not detected"!....

Guest mdemetri2

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That's why it wont update. So I I get the official b936 update (where from?) and extract that to the sd card and update. then put CWM on that will allow me to use 4.0.2 version I just downloaded......

Ok, so I downloaded that, the zip contained META-INF (folder), system (folder), boot.img. I extracted and copied these to the sd card, when I go to update it says "upgrade package not detected"!....

Read my posts above to learn why.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That's why it wont update. So I I get the official b936 update (where from?) and extract that to the sd card and update. then put CWM on that will allow me to use 4.0.2 version I just downloaded......

Download it from my link above. Extract the zip, copy the dload folder and its contents to your sdcard. Then try to update again.

Edited by Cyda

Here's the ROM I used.

No need to root or install cwm.

All i did was download the update.zip

Extract the dload folder into my sd card and go to settings and updated from there.

Guest mdemetri2

Ok, so done that and now running Android 4.0.3, baseband 2030 build b936. Now not sure what I will benefit by rooting, installing cwm and getting the other rom I saw for 4.0.4.....any suggestions - will it de-brand the voda rubbish? Or shall I leave it as is.

One thing I did notice odd, on the stock version I didnt get a Vodafone splash screen when turning the phone on, now I do. Is there a way to remove it?

Guest carrthee89

hey guys, just bought a new g300(sim free version) running Android 2.3.6, baseband 109808.. Is it better to root gingerbread before updating to ics?? Also there are two tutorials for rooting one is by paul and other one in the first post(Like you're 5).. which one i ve to follow.. thanks for your help

Edited by carrthee89

Ok, so done that and now running Android 4.0.3, baseband 2030 build b936. Now not sure what I will benefit by rooting, installing cwm and getting the other rom I saw for 4.0.4.....any suggestions - will it de-brand the voda rubbish? Or shall I leave it as is.

One thing I did notice odd, on the stock version I didnt get a Vodafone splash screen when turning the phone on, now I do. Is there a way to remove it?

Root if you need to.

... to remove the boot and shutdown animations : delete startup.ani and shutdown.ani from /system/media AS ROOT! :)

hey guys, just bought a new g300(sim free version) running Android 2.3.6, baseband 109808.. Is it better to root gingerbread before updating to ics?? Also there are two tutorials for rooting one is by paul and other one in the first post(Like you're 5).. which one i ve to follow.. thanks for your help

I rooted my mums after upgrading to ics. It was A LOT easier.

Guest mdemetri2

fr0do - I have now rooted and got supruser on phone, but dont get how to use it, nothing in apps list, so need to figure that out.

re the instruction to remove animation: to remove the boot and shutdown animations : delete startup.ani and shutdown.ani from /system/media AS ROOT

I searched the phone storage and could not find that folder...where am i going wrong? cheers

Guest mdemetri2

Ok so managed to root browser lite. Used some animations from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19566238&postcount=291

When I replace the bootanimation.zip in the system/media directory, with any of the animations from the above url, I no longer get the voda animation after the Huawei logo, but do get a black screen instead. Any ideas? Maybe the animations from the site above are just not suitable, but an other post on here said that they used an animation from there so expect them to work. Maybe there is something else I need to do than just swap the file.

Also, anyone know where else I might be able to get some decent animations? Cheers!

Guest mdemetri2

Ok so got rom toolbox lite to try. I went to add something to the install queue, in order to flash a zip animation (I assume this action installs the animation into the correct location etc), however when I go to add something it defaults to /mnt/sdcard and is empty. However I copied a file to this location......at least I am sure I have, but then something is not right.

I dont understand why, when you plug the phone and turn on as media device from the phone I get HUAWEI U8815 in My Computer, inside of which I get Internal Storage and SD Card. Pretty much what I would expect. When I plug the phone without media device option, I get Mobile Partner E:, Removable Disk F: and Removable Disk G: (I can't access either of the removal disks as it Windows complains and says please insert a disk).

Using root browser, is where the confusion starts. At top level, there is clearly a folder with SD card icon named sdcard, in here are plenty of folders including my bootanimation.zip. However following where toolbox is looking for the zip to install, I go to root mnt\sdcard (seems to be the same as in SD card icon, so I assume physical card) but also in mnt there is a folder called sdcard2 also with the bootanimation.zip.....so wtf?

Help anyone?

Edited by mdemetri2