Photo

Who's sticking with Orange firmware - the 'we want to keep our warranty, but we really want ICS now' support group

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 16GB
Picture the scene:
There is a handfull of us, sitting in a circle, all looking tired, stressed, itching to do something to break the unbearable tension.
Finally, one of us is brave enough to stand up and say...
"My name is _______"
Everyone replies "Hi _______"
The man continues "and I'm still running the stock Orange firmware"
applause erupts! And the room goes wild.

Ahem, anyway. All this talk about the xolo ICS update is making me uneasy. I want to keep my warranty, I want to behave and stay on stock firmware, but not even a month into owning my shiny new phone, and I've just downloaded (but not applied) the xolo firmware update.

Give me some support guys. Tell me why I shouldn't update here and now.

Why are you staying with stock? Or are you struggling, just like me? Is the call of nearly bloat-free ICS just too much? Let's get a support group going!

The support group thus far / people that bothered to respond and I felt like pigeon-holing them into a group:
Standing strong:
Roids, iam_smithers, BlueMoonRising
On the fence:
Roger Barnett
Cracking under pressure:
Nobody
Defected to the dark side after joining:
Ribs85, BlueMoonRising, Gibson.1

Edited by Ribs85, 08 October 2012 - 06:45 PM.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Well I have updated so cannot support you as the angel on your right shoulder, I am on the other side :lol:

Orange will release their ICS shortly I believe, maybe a week or two at the most, so you could just wait if warranty is a concern, however, once orange release their ICS and assuming it will be available to download like the xolo ICS, you could simply put orange ICS on sd card and update to orange ICS thus keeping warranty in tact so to speak.

At the end of the day it is your choice, me personally I could not hold back, I am not that sensible unfortunately, hence why I have been on xolo gingerbread for some time and did not hesitate to update to their ICS either. :lol:

Now lets say I developed a fault tomorrow, well I would be screwed for a while, obviously I could not take it back running xolo ICS could I, but I know there is a good chance the orange ICS will be available shortly and downloadable online, so I am not that worried really as I can just flash the orange ICS and take the device back for repair.

Hopefully that helps a little, without trying to lean on your left should to much :P

Edited by jikobutsu, 06 October 2012 - 04:43 PM.

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
I'm on the fence, want ICS but also my warranty, don't want to be waiting for Orange ICS when it comes to the new year though.

Roids

Roids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (Orange SF)
I'm with you Ribs85. I wonder if Orange add bloat before or after they receive their ICS back from Google testing? I think it makes no sense to add bloat after testing, so I do believe we will have Orange ICS very soon. Hold on in there.

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
The bloat would be added before. Whatever Google test needs to be the exact same as what we get... otherwise there is no point in testing it in the first place.

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200
If you are able to update to the ICS release through normal methods without bypassing any security surely your warranty would still apply?

iam_smithers

iam_smithers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Devices:OMC, Orange San Diego
  • Twitter:@iam_smithers
Thats up to Orange. I could afford to throw my Blade's warranty away, I can't afford to do the same with my OSD. If there is even the slightest chance updating via the Xolo route will void it, I'll happily wait for the Orange ICS update. Also, I'm not that added about updating tbh since if I want android 4 I can just load it up on my tablet and for now GB does everything I need it to.

Orange Monte Carlo - Stock (refuses to root)
Orange San Diego

Previous phones: OSF, Samsung Jet, HTC Wildfire, Nokia N95, HTC S620, Motorola RAZR V3, Sharp GX10i, Nokia 3205, various other Nokias

Roger Barnett

Roger Barnett

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:Pulse 8220, OSD
I haven't upgraded yet, I'm 'on the fence'.
One reason for not changing yet:-
My orange talk plan allows me 250mb data per month.
Let's say I apply the Xolo 2.3.7 update, by usb. Is the ICS update only available OTA, and if so will it eat up my whole months data allowance in one hit with the 299mb update.zip? Or is there a downloadable version of the update.zip available, which can be applied via usb?

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

I haven't upgraded yet, I'm 'on the fence'.
One reason for not changing yet:-
My orange talk plan allows me 250mb data per month.
Let's say I apply the Xolo 2.3.7 update, by usb. Is the ICS update only available OTA, and if so will it eat up my whole months data allowance in one hit with the 299mb update.zip? Or is there a downloadable version of the update.zip available, which can be applied via usb?

Don't let the OTA nature of the upgrade put you off. Just turn on your wifi, and turn off your mobile broadband whilst you're doing this (these settings can be found in Wireless & Networks, in the settings), then there is no chance of using up your data allowance. The upgrade process will just download the update.zip, like any other program would. It won't need a mobile signal, as long asi t has Internet access in some form.

You can download xolo's update.zip from their website (xolo.in, in the support section), copy it to your phone, and run the update from there if need be... Hell, I just went to the site in my phone's browser and downloaded straight off (I'm keeping it safe, in case they remove it or something).

If you're doing it from Orange direct, then using the standard upgrade process (About Phone in settings, then check for updates), then just make sure you have a solid wifi connection, and your mobile data is off.

rickywyatt

rickywyatt

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Android
    Rom Modding &
    MoDaCo moderator
  • Devices:OneX Samsung S3 LTE Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@rickywyatt1982
if orange put the ics update on there web site then you will be able to open the orange ics update and extract recovery form it and flash it then be able to push the orange ics update to sdcard and flash it

Remember to read the fourm rules<br /><br />Maker of the AIO tool for Orange San Diego here<br />and the maker of the Motorola Razr I AIO tools here

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF
Well I'm getting my new replacement San Diego tomorrow so I'm waiting for orange to keep my warranty. After just 3 weeks its been getting hotter with use

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

Roids

Roids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (Orange SF)
I just had a bad thought. When Orange get their ICS back from Google, might they want to have it installed on OSDs on their shop shelves *before* they offer it to us OTA? That would then introduce a 'sent to production line' manufacturing delay before we see it.

Or do you think they would still be happy to continue selling GB OSDs in their shops?

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

I just had a bad thought. When Orange get their ICS back from Google, might they want to have it installed on OSDs on their shop shelves *before* they offer it to us OTA? That would then introduce a 'sent to production line' manufacturing delay before we see it.

Or do you think they would still be happy to continue selling GB OSDs in their shops?

No, they would get it out as soon a possible.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
Flashing the Xolo update will not void any warranty. In fact flashing any updates to any phones doesn't void warranty. It's a myth, a common misconception.

The ONLY thing that possibly COULD void your warranty is unlocking the bootloader and installing unsigned software. Custom ROMs basically. Which rules out the San Diego for obvious reasons.

So be happy, be free and flash that damn Xolo update. Of course you are free to wait for the bloated Orange ROM that will be chock full of crap nobody ever wants or needs. ;)

This has been a public service announcement. Good day to you all :D

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Well said flibblesan :D

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
Those public service announcements aren't what they used to be are they?

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Make of this what you will:
Attached File  IMG_0065.jpg   137.85KB   31 downloads
'unauthorised modifications to the software' could include flashing software for another phone from a carrier in India, even if the phones are technically identical. And I would say flashing the xolo firmware is 'outside the instructions of the manufacturer'

It's a bit too vague for my liking.

The dilemma continues...

Immortal7

Immortal7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
I am a complete noob when it comes to tech, but I found this very easy to do, go for it, feels like a new phone!

Immortal7

Immortal7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
I am a complete noob when it comes to tech, but I found this very easy to do, go for it, feels like a new phone!

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Well, I caved.

I woke up at 3am this morning, ill, and wanted to comfort myself. After reading online, messing about as much as I could... Anything but this ICS update... I caved!

I'm sorry group, I failed you all!

I did it "properly" by flashing the Xolo Gingerbread update first. One thing I did notice is that Orange apps were still showing up, but some appeared unaccessable... It was nice seeing the space usage update when I loaded the apps list. The amount went down a fair chunk, it was too quick for me to read the before and after numbers, but it definitely went down.

Tempted to do a factory reset... We'll see how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users