Photo

Who's sticking with Orange firmware - the 'we want to keep our warranty, but we really want ICS now' support group

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF

Well, I caved.

I woke up at 3am this morning, ill, and wanted to comfort myself. After reading online, messing about as much as I could... Anything but this ICS update... I caved!

I'm sorry group, I failed you all!

I did it "properly" by flashing the Xolo Gingerbread update first. One thing I did notice is that Orange apps were still showing up, but some appeared unaccessable... It was nice seeing the space usage update when I loaded the apps list. The amount went down a fair chunk, it was too quick for me to read the before and after numbers, but it definitely went down.

Tempted to do a factory reset... We'll see how it goes.

I'm puzzled by that. I thought the bloatware was rolled into the update.zip. If not then they must be in an hidden area on the UK phones and try to install themselves. Does that mean that installing the Xolo update wont free up any more space on a UK phone?
Can anyone confirm free space after installing the Xolo update on an Indian phone compared to a European phone? Has anyone done a factory reset before updating?

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 16GB

I'm puzzled by that. I thought the bloatware was rolled into the update.zip. If not then they must be in an hidden area on the UK phones and try to install themselves. Does that mean that installing the Xolo update wont free up any more space on a UK phone?
Can anyone confirm free space after installing the Xolo update on an Indian phone compared to a European phone? Has anyone done a factory reset before updating?

Not necessarily. The update.zip might only contain updated files, for example, leaving the rest alone. Hence custom roms tell us to flash the ROM first, then Google apps after. I'm not too sure if the OSD has a hidden partition somewhere or something. I think the presence of the updates may have caused the odd behaviour that I saw. Who knows! Good thing is it's all gone now. Only a little Xolo bloat (and a couple of odd icon choices) to deal with.

When I did the factory reset on ICS, I found there was only one Orange Item on there; "Orange Plus", which I think is due to the SIM Card. It doesn't show on the app list and cannot be disabled. One nice touch was the surprise inclusion of SwiftKey 3 for Intel. Which is nice, as I use that keyboard already, and it's nice too see an Intel edition, which presumably will be faster and won't drain the battery as much.

Not all the apps can be disabled. Most of them can, but some cannot. And some that I saw didn't look "system critical", but won't allow me to disable. I really hope Orange doesn't take advantage of this.

For those of you still holding out on Orange...
I'm glad I'm on ICS... partly 'cos ICS is a little nicer, and partly 'cos I've lost the bloat. But I don't have a 'better phone' because of it now. I'm still running the same apps, and I still don't have root. I just have a slightly more modern GUI to use, a few more installable apps to choose from, and a Xolo logo when I turn the phone on. Browsing with Dolphin is remarkably smoother, but that's about the only major difference. I'm personally still using ADW.ex launcher (The standard launcher just doesn't make good use of the screen space), and most apps are skinned anyway, so you can't even tell I'm on ICS most of the time.

When the Orange ICS update comes out, you'll hopefully be able to disable all the bloat they have added, and be happy. Hopefully.

And I'm still ill... Urgh!

iam_smithers

iam_smithers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Devices:OMC, Orange San Diego
  • Twitter:@iam_smithers

Make of this what you will:

'unauthorised modifications to the software' could include flashing software for another phone from a carrier in India, even if the phones are technically identical. And I would say flashing the xolo firmware is 'outside the instructions of the manufacturer'

It's a bit too vague for my liking.

The whole reason they make it vague is specifically to cover themselves should it ever come to legal proceedings. It is highly unlikely you would get away, under those terms, with updating via anything other than the official route. Legally speaking it probably will void your warranty because doing so does technically come under the provision barring software modifications "outside the manufacturer's instructions" and strictly speaking is an "unauthorized modification to the software" given that the only authorised modifications are those made via the official Orange route.

Orange Monte Carlo - Stock (refuses to root)
Orange San Diego

Previous phones: OSF, Samsung Jet, HTC Wildfire, Nokia N95, HTC S620, Motorola RAZR V3, Sharp GX10i, Nokia 3205, various other Nokias

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
Sorry, no longer standing strong...

ICS got me...

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Welcome to the fast lane, buckle up........ :D

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
Is anyone still waiting for the Orange update? Is there even any information on the Orange update?

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
All orange are saying is ICS is in testing, translating that into our language,they are bloating the hell out of it, could be a while before we see orange ICS.

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ahh I'm totally stuck, so tempted just to put the Xolo update on and Root.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Ahh I'm totally stuck, so tempted just to put the Xolo update on and Root.

Don't know about root yet, lol. I'll let the smart people figure out all the wrinkles first and post a "Rooting for Idiots" guide up but ICS is definitely worth it for me at least.

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Don't know about root yet, lol. I'll let the smart people figure out all the wrinkles first and post a "Rooting for Idiots" guide up but ICS is definitely worth it for me at least.

I just wish Orange would for once be honest, if it were a weeks wait I could handle that, but I'm not going to wait month after month for something I can have in ten minutes.

When you updated did you do it via the SD card update rather than flash xolo gb then ota? If so do you lose any information or are all the previous apps/files etc. still there?

Edited by Gibson.1, 08 October 2012 - 08:12 AM.

Roids

Roids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (Orange SF)
Somebody in these pages recently mentioned this coming Friday for Orange ICS (with SD card support).
Provide your own Pinch of Salt, etc.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

I just wish Orange would for once be honest, if it were a weeks wait I could handle that, but I'm not going to wait month after month for something I can have in ten minutes.

When you updated did you do it via the SD card update rather than flash xolo gb then ota? If so do you lose any information or are all the previous apps/files etc. still there?

I just dropped the update.zip (299MB size) in the root of the USB storage and then went to "system settings/about phone/System Updates/Update from USB storage", then just let it do its thing. It's always a good idea to back up anything you don't want to lose but I had no problems. It booted back to the same desktop (Holo launcher in my case, now history and replaced by Apex Launcher).

Konstipated Kiwi

Konstipated Kiwi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I shall update when I am happy that the hardware on my phone is 100% working. As mentioned on another thread, the auto-brightness on my phone doesn't work, and I keep getting the screen discolouration due to heat that others have mentioned. Taking my phone to an Orange shop today. I'll definiely do the Xolo thing and update to ICS when I am convinced I'll not be likely to need to return my handset.

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

I just dropped the update.zip (299MB size) in the root of the USB storage and then went to "system settings/about phone/System Updates/Update from USB storage", then just let it do its thing. It's always a good idea to back up anything you don't want to lose but I had no problems. It booted back to the same desktop (Holo launcher in my case, now history and replaced by Apex Launcher).

Thanks, it makes me less worried about losing everything and having to re-install one-by-one.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
Auto brightness I think is not right for me either, I mentioned this in reply to your post on auto brightness. At first I replied that mine worked fine as I thought it did, but on closer inspection it apeared to stay constant brightness, could be a batch problem or a general hardware fault with all.

Not that it worries me as I find auto brightness drains battery more than a set level, in general 40% works fine for me apart from bright outside daylight at which point I just pull notifications down and tap brightness till it hits full.

Edited by jikobutsu, 08 October 2012 - 09:45 AM.

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I think I'll try to hastle orange later for a while, if nothing productive comes of it I'll probably buckle and update to ICS. Been fighting the urge over the weekend but its getting far too hard to refuse.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

I shall update when I am happy that the hardware on my phone is 100% working. As mentioned on another thread, the auto-brightness on my phone doesn't work, and I keep getting the screen discolouration due to heat that others have mentioned. Taking my phone to an Orange shop today. I'll definiely do the Xolo thing and update to ICS when I am convinced I'll not be likely to need to return my handset.

I've just had a replacement handset. I did try the auto brightness on the original and it didn't seem to be working, I never actually tried it on the new one until I'd installed ICS. So I don't know if it's down to GB or ICS or a hardware problem.
I replaced mine because it was running far to hot for my liking. This one is MUCH better although ICS does no harm. I was going to down-clock it slightly but the only options are to set a minimum clock(which seems strange) and to change the governor. I'm trying Powersave at the moment.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

I think I'll try to hastle orange later for a while, if nothing productive comes of it I'll probably buckle and update to ICS. Been fighting the urge over the weekend but its getting far too hard to refuse.

The last message I got of them was :-

We’ve been advised that the ICS update for the Orange San Diego is currently in testing and is expected to be available within the next few weeks. I’m afraid we do not yet have any information on any further updates for this device.

I hope this helps!

Darren
Orange Helpers

This was on 03-10-12.

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

The last message I got of them was :-

We’ve been advised that the ICS update for the Orange San Diego is currently in testing and is expected to be available within the next few weeks. I’m afraid we do not yet have any information on any further updates for this device.

I hope this helps!

Darren
Orange Helpers

This was on 03-10-12.

Yeah, with that I'm just going to dive in to ICS, before I do though, you don't lose any apps from the ROM do you? Like flash player, doubletwist etc.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
Flashplayer is there as is double twist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users