Photo

Who's sticking with Orange firmware - the 'we want to keep our warranty, but we really want ICS now' support group

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Gibson.1

Gibson.1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego

Flashplayer is there as is double twist.

Great, the good is outweighing the bad here, I'll update shortly.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF
You also get Swiftkey 3 keyboard as well as the standard Android one and Swype. There's also Kepplr, Flash Player, Movie Studio(not tried it yet, so no info) and Translate(from Google). Sadly you lose all the Orange bloatware such as Navigon :(

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

rickywyatt

rickywyatt

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Android
    Rom Modding &
    MoDaCo moderator
  • Devices:OneX Samsung S3 LTE Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@rickywyatt1982
lol if you what the orange blot download orange gb dump that Paul uploaded open with winrar and look for the blot copy to internal sdcard and install it ;)

here's the link http://www.modaco.co...p/#entry2023938

Remember to read the fourm rules<br /><br />Maker of the AIO tool for Orange San Diego here<br />and the maker of the Motorola Razr I AIO tools here

Konstipated Kiwi

Konstipated Kiwi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Auto brightness I think is not right for me either, I mentioned this in reply to your post on auto brightness. At first I replied that mine worked fine as I thought it did, but on closer inspection it apeared to stay constant brightness, could be a batch problem or a general hardware fault with all.

Not that it worries me as I find auto brightness drains battery more than a set level, in general 40% works fine for me apart from bright outside daylight at which point I just pull notifications down and tap brightness till it hits full.

Thank you jikobutsu; I appreciate the follow up. In the end I decided against returning it to Orange. I phoned their CS who advised performing a factory reset. I did this and it is hard to say whether it made a difference or not. I experimented for a while and could see that the autobrightness setting worked to an extent. Very occasionally I could see the screen dimming or brightening incrementally in the way I would expect. Other times I have noticed that if I unlock the screen in a dark room the screen is fairly dark and if I then unlock the screen in a brighter room the screen is brighter. It just doesn't usually react dynamically in the way I am accustomed to with the Blade and the G300.

I am in agreement with you that it is no biggie. The toggles provide ready access to full brightness, lowest brightness and somewhere inbetween, which suits me just fine. Delighted to have ICS installed now; it has made such a massive difference to the use of the phone.

geoff1951

geoff1951

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, Nexus 4
Okay, this is where there's a lot of cross-threading, so to speak. I've been following the suberb development by ricky and others, and see that he's now even put up a video how-to for those of a nervous disposition. What a man, tremendous work.

I went straight from orange GB to Xolo ICS, and after a few failed trials using ricky's A-in-1 tool (but I might have another go soon), I decided to stick with the Xolo ICS, with a few favoured apps like ICS browser+, Smart keyboard, ADW launcher (though I have stuck with the stock launcher), and the cyanogen clocks and also Dazzle for easy brightness and volume/vibrate control. It's running just fine. (But I'd like a bigger screen...)

Now, today (8/11) I get a message from orange telling me there's a software update, ("enhancements include Google's new ICS platform"). Apart from the laughable use of the word "new", I presume this is the long-promised stock Orange ICS.

So, my question is, to those who've been playing with the phone's rom over the past month, and given that there'll be bloat, and also acknowledging the weak argument over warranty, which is best? Xolo or Orange?

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Xolo by a long shot, it is more stock ics unlike orange which is highly bloated software and visual wise.
As pointed out by flibblesan, both are the same and only 30min between each other in build.
Having used both several times, I have settled on xolo which may also get a jellybean update.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
I say Xolo as well since it's much less bloated and isn't themed like the Orange ICS is. Also since we have a full ICS update zip from Xolo it's extremely easy to restore to stock conditions in the event an update comes out to something like 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Currently the Orange updates are delta-updates so they requires the current running ROM to be completely untouched which means if somebody has made modifications they will have to go all the way back to Gingerbread then update from that.

And there is every chance that Xolo will just do another full update to Jelly Bean if and when they release it, and available from the website.

geoff1951

geoff1951

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, Nexus 4
My own thoughts confirmed. Thank you both!

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
I installed Xolo over GB and then wentback to Orange. I've now reverted back to Xolo again. If nothing else the swipe lock screen is an improvement over double tapping.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
I also like that it's much much easier to revert the Xolo to a pure stock ROM. I removed all the custom stuff (SocialGallery eww) and replaced with stock files & replaced some system apps so they would update properly (such as Google Calendar) and replaced the horrible music app with the nice Google Music one. I might even share this system when I get my phone back and finish it all off as it would be useful for other people.. I just need to figure out the best way of doing so.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

I also like that it's much much easier to revert the Xolo to a pure stock ROM. I removed all the custom stuff (SocialGallery eww) and replaced with stock files & replaced some system apps so they would update properly (such as Google Calendar) and replaced the horrible music app with the nice Google Music one. I might even share this system when I get my phone back and finish it all off as it would be useful for other people.. I just need to figure out the best way of doing so.

I would be interested in that.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD

You could make a tool like rickywyatt does, that will push the system maybe ?

In a sense be like custom rom lol

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
heh I'm not clever enough for that sort of thing. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a 'stock' pack adding to Rickys tool which will essentially remove the small amount of bloat from a virgin Xolo ICS ROM then pushing replacement files over. I'm going to odex the system apps I've replaced as well as personally I prefer having system stuff odexed to save space on the /data partition :D

And CRT-style screen off animation. That was the very first thing I enabled. Everyone wants that right? :D

rickywyatt

rickywyatt

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Android
    Rom Modding &
    MoDaCo moderator
  • Devices:OneX Samsung S3 LTE Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@rickywyatt1982
all ready enabled on the deodex part of my tool if anyone what's it

Remember to read the fourm rules<br /><br />Maker of the AIO tool for Orange San Diego here<br />and the maker of the Motorola Razr I AIO tools here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users